Fez developer: WiiWare “dismal”, not “worth our time and effort”

Wednesday, 30th March 2011 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Phil Fish, creator of the highly anticipated indie puzzler Fez, has explained why the game won’t arrive on a Nintendo platform any time soon. And told WiiWare to go away in a very impolite way.

“WiiWare just wouldn’t be worth our time and effort,” co-creator Fish told Destructoid.

“It’s a dismal system that I don’t want to deal with neither as a customer, nor a developer. No demos? Fuck off.”

Instead, the team is focussing on XBLA, with the possibility of PC and PlayStation Network down the track.

“As for the 3DS, well, that would just have to be a completely different game,” Fish added.

“If I’m going to make a game that uses stereoscopic graphics, it’s gonna be built from the ground up for that.”

In fact, he’s already done so, with Super Hypercube.

Fez should launch on Xbox Live Arcade this year, although Polytron’s delayed it several times. Check out some gameplay footage here.

Thanks, Go Nintendo.

1. SOMI

Prick, I’d throw Bromine in his face any day, and melt his ugly bastard face, arrogant ass wipe.

2. deathgaze

Sounds a little prejudicial. Still, Nintendo has made it clear that they could really care less about the Internet. I can’t say I’m surprised to hear this kind of thing from developers. It’s probably Sony and Nintendo’s biggest weakness. I love my PS3 and my Wii, but Japanese console makers make their consoles primarily for Japan… and Japanese customers don’t do social networking online. IMHO this is why the 360 is starting to pull ahead worldwide — it’s been built from the ground up with the Internet and social networking in mind.

3. frostquake

I will say this, Wiiware is Horrible when compared to the other consoles, and what they offer.

4. HauntaVirus

LOL, YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUTT HURT! GET OVER YOURSELF!!! LMFAO!

5. varsas

Someone from Nintendo did say a few weeks ago that the online store aspects of the Wii and DS left a lot to be desired and that the 3DS would be much better. I guess we’ll see whether that really happens! However I have to wonder why the Wii can’t be updated to have a better online store?

6. Blerk

There are a few decent titles on WiiWare, despite Nintendo’s best efforts to ensure that there aren’t. And that nobody plays the ones that do make it.

Seriously, Nintendo – you have messed up good.

7. mojo

the wii has a online store?

;)

8. SOMI

@4 maybe you’d like some red liquid in your face too you ass wiping bum ass clonk cheese!

9. SOMI

@6 they’re always in a mess, since the NES days, not a single good title has come out of the lousy scum in the past 28 years.