Sony Santa Monica job listing looking for “senior online programmer” for “God of War team”

Tuesday, 29th March 2011 10:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony Santa Monica may be about to include online play in God of War in some form, if a recent new job listing is any indication.

The posting on Gamasutra says it’s looking for a senior online programmer to “join the God of War team,” adding it’ll “support networking needs (such as in-game communication, client-server, match-making, leaderboards).”

The God of War series has remained a fully single-play experience since the first game in 2005.

The last main title in the Sony Santa Monica series was God of War III, which released last March, with Ready at Dawn PSP title Ghost of Sparta arriving in November last year.

Via EG.

1. Erthazus

I’m sure they are working on the new IP this time.

god Of war 4 maybe next generation as a system seller.

2. xino

people love jumping to conclusions, join the GOW team doesn’t mean they are making a new GOW. The team just consist of people who made GOW:/

But I don’t care man, hoping for GOW 4 Co-op!

3. Christopher Jack

I personally think Sony has the best developers out of any major publisher.

I do hope that most of their studios have moved onto new IPs or are at least starting to, Sony’s not really known to milk a franchise & tack on anual sequels (other than casual/party games like Buzz & Singstar) & I hope they never will (with their core franchises).

In saying all this, I do think Sony should revisit old franchises like MediEvil(Add in a GoW like combat system give us some exploring freedom & customization/diversity) & Colony Wars(Warhawk in space?), but not simple HD remakes, a true next gen sequel or reboot.

4. Hunam

I loved God of War 3, but I would like to see the team tackle a new IP now.

5. Gekidami

I heard they’re actually working on 2 projects. One is thought to be a new GoW and the other something else.

6. Kerplunk

No God of War comments are complete without a certain person reminding us of what awful, awful games God of War are. ;)

Not sure I could envisage that sort of game or character in a multiplayer context. Mortal Kombat, ok, that makes sense. More multiplayer than that? I dunno.

The sex scenes would become orgies, I guess.

7. Hybridpsycho

God of War 3 had a nice ending, I don’t want any Co-Op or multiplayer and I don’t want a God of War 4.
    Co-Op would suck cause the guy NOT playing Kratos would be devastated and depressed :(

I’d like a new IP from them :)