Divnich: 3DS opening beat DS

Tuesday, 29th March 2011 12:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

While Nintendo has yet to release sales figures for 3DS following the console’s release in the US and Europe last week, analysts are already pointing to a win over its predecessor, Nintendo DS.

“The 3DS launch in North America and Europe produced sales that Nintendo should be proud of,” EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich told Industry Gamers.

“Given the awareness and hype over the 3DS, I’d expect week one 3DS sales to surpass week one DS sales from 2004.”

The original DS sold 500,000 American units in 10 days when it launched in 2004. DS sold 87,000 units in its first UK weekend in 2005.

3DS sold over 400,000 units in 48 hours when it launched in Japan in February this year.

DFC Intelligence’s David Cole also pointed towards a record.

“It is always interesting to watch supply and demand around launch,” he said. “Nintendo said last week that they had record pre-orders but they expected plenty of stock and no shortages at stores.

“I think it was really down to just having a full supply where past systems there has always been trouble getting manufacturing up in time for a launch. We think it will be a very successful system.

“Nintendo forecast shipping 4m units of the 3DS through March 31st. That is just a huge amount of hardware. It would be an absolute mind blowing record if they sold out of all of them in such a short time. By contrast the Wii shipped 3m worldwide in its launch period).

“In other words, we could see Nintendo announcing some records soon when figures are tallied.”

Thanks, >MCV.

1. Blerk

Something would be very wrong if it didn’t outdo the DS at launch. The question will be, can it keep it up once the initial flurry is over?

2. Erthazus

@1, when Mario, Zelda:OOT remake and MGS Remake will come out.

The system will sell like a next jesus baby.

3. naffgeek

I played this in one of the big promo booth places and after one lap of Ridge Racer felt motion sick all day (although it could have been all the very attractive girls half my age in figure hugging lycra giving me advice on how to use it).

No other games have ever made me feel like this (unless severely hung over).

Be interested to see if it affects any other people.

othe than that Pilot wings looked nice, Splinter Cell looked horrendous, worse control scheme I have seen in years.

I had started to go off the idea of getting one and seeing it in the flesh just confirmed that for me.

I will take a guess and say that sales are going to be a bit dissapointing in a years time.

4. Blerk

They’re ‘gamer’ games and remakes to boot, they’re not the titles they need to drive wider pickup of the device.

5. naffgeek

All Nintendo seem to do these days is remakes

6. ManuOtaku

#3, i have the same issues with the 3DS, but i think the consumers will be finallys paying attention to the booklets of the consoles and or handleds for that case, i mean in the break periods of gameplay if you can take the recommended amount of time between gaming sesions, i think this will be lesser issues.

An i think this handled will keep it strong since the wii came out year after year the analyst predict it is doom, but even now that the other competitors start to go in his backyard with motion the wii is doing ok, not that great, but no that bad they are selling good numbers overall.

7. naffgeek

#6 I see what your saying but I must have only played it for 30mins in total.

Like I said I have never had motion sickness with FPS’s before like some people do.

If they are relying on people reading the manual then they could be in trouble :)