Crytek stomps on rumors of a DX11 patch for Crysis 2

Tuesday, 29th March 2011 17:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek has shot down rumors that Crysis 2 would soon be getting DirectX 11 support included in a patch.

Yesterday, German website PC Games (via Maximum PC) noted the addition of DX11 support was to be included in a patch, but MyCrysis forum moderator Cry-Tom quickly squelched such talk:

“No patch was ever confirmed, I have no idea why this website even posted such information,” reads the post. “This thread is locked just the same as the others for trying to spread inaccurate information.

“When there are any big announcements regarding Crysis 2 they will be posted on MyCrysis, if you read something about a patch for example, but don’t see it on MyCrysis.com, then it isn’t genuine.”

The moderator never said DX11 would never be patched in, just not for the time being apparently.

Back in January, an Nvidia listing claimed Crysis 2 would include DirectX 11 when it released in March, via mention for NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Guess not.

Thanks, GameFront.

1. Hunam

PC game support fail. In fact, I don’t really care so much about the DX11, but the fact that they don’t seem to be even bothered to patch in a proper graphics options menu.

2. blackdreamhunk

crysis was dumb down for consoles proof right here, I guess cryteck are lairs they said crysis 2 would push pc gaming to the maximum when truly it is dumb down console game port. It’s a real shame console gaming pulling pc gaming into the mud. The gaming Industry has gone down hill.

the worse thing to happen to gaming is Microsoft and Sony. This is a good reason why people don’t like big cooperate companies.

I am willing to bet the quality of games and genes will decrease as well

3. Fin

God, nobody but the most rabid fanboy cares if Crysis 2 was “dumbed down” for consoles.
    Maybe it was, so what? Is it that much of an affront to people’s sensibilities that they have to go round the internet saying it all the time?

4. Dralen

Maybe because you said that PC was the lead format. I don’t really see much evidence that this is the case; No DirectX 11 (even though the first Crysis had DirectX 10), no graphics options and a broken online multiplayer – it’s pretty fucking bullshit tbh. However, although I am saying this, it is a gorgeous looking game on the PC; even in DirectX 9. It’s quite a technical achievement with how much they have actually gotten out of it, and how well it plays too. But still…

5. DSB

Hunam said it.

Crytek are really getting bit in the ass by all the crap they spewed leading up to this. PC gaming my ass.

It’s crazy that all those essential flaws aren’t being fixed (or communicated as being worked on) with the utmost haste. It just makes them look like bungling amateurs.

The fact that Tom apparently confirms that the internal communication itself is shit, would seem to support that.

6. CaptPierce

Who honestly cares?! I’ve seen the game in action on the Xbox 360 AND PC version, and the PC version wins in spades. DX11 support won’t really matter. The game is still fun regardless.

7. jacobvandy

This article is very misleading… They were debunking the false information that a DX11 patch was going to be released yesterday, as was reported over the weekend by several sites (including the two linked above), not “stomping rumors of a DX11 patch” in general. I’ve been giving Crytek my fair share of guff lately (I don’t think anyone will care by the time they get around to patching in DX11), but this is just lazy and/or irresponsible.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

So you don’t have an intricate graphics options menu…….big fucking deal. I’m playing the game on best settings with a GTX465 and it’s awesome, no complaints. To each their own.

9. DSB

@8 Well I agree with you there. It looks fine on my rig as well.

But what if you have a fairly shitty computer and you want to up the detail in one area and tune it down in another? People should be able to accomodate their systems with more than just a template setting.

10. HauntaVirus

So happy I canceled my pre-order. Crytek can burn.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Point taken. I understand now.

12. Dralen

@10 I wouldn’t totally rule it out. We may be ranting about it alot, but it is a very good game, and graphically still leaps ahead of pretty much every other game out there today.

13. DarkElfa

Any fool can see that the only reason this game didn’t have DX11 at launch was because they made a deal with Microsoft and Sony to make the DX11 option unavailable for a few months after the launch so that the PC version wouldn’t show up the XBOX 360 and PS3 until they’d sold enough copies.

Don’t misunderstand me though, its not a slam at the fans of those machines, its aimed at the companies that think they can pull wool over all of our eyes.

14. Hunam

I don’t think DX11 is that big of a worry for the console groups to be honest.

15. HauntaVirus

Agreed. I just wasn’t going to pay $60 for a console port. I plan on buying it for PC when it’s around $30.

16. DSB

@12 I can agree to a point. As a crazy action game with lots of flash and explosions, it’s very entertaining. Certainly on the same level as CoD when it comes to the action movie feel. I’m coming around to that.

But still, I was expecting something closer to Far Cry, and while the community seems to be split in half on the issue, I still feel that the AI ruins a lot of the experience. It’s just not there (for me).

Speaking of the graphics hysteria, I just found this:

(Note: Leave your sarcasm detector in the ON position)

17. Tamo123

Regardless of it looking leaps ahead of consoles and other PC games, I for one, am glad I did not buy this game. The severe lack of graphical options and Directx 11 is poor in my opinion. Until a patch is released, I’ll skip this.

As for the graphical options there are warez hacks showing up allowing people to choose what ‘they’ want which is a plus and goes to show how easy it would be to add the options.

Plus on the graphics side of things, Crysis 2 ‘looks’ better on the surface, but is seriously piss poor compared to the original.

Tl;rd: Crysis 2 is another console port, PC gamers got shafted and Crytek listened to the money, i.e. Microsoft and Sony.

18. chriswhaaat

revised title “Crytek Air Stomps on rumors of a DX11 patch for Crysis 2″

19. YodaJokerBacon

BA BA BA BOOOYA

CRYSIS 2 ADVANCED GRAPHICS OPTION UTILITY

20. Phoenixblight

Paranoid much? Even Dragon Age 2 had DX11 support this has nothing to do with consoles blocking, it’s just lazy development. You’re telling me Bioware with a 18 month development can use DX11 but Crytek who created an engine not just for one game but multiple games can’t do it? Puh-lease.

21. Tamo123

Exactly. I hope Crytek reap what they sow because they have pretty much slapped every PC gamer around the face with their cocks hanging out. If you’re a PC gamer and you aren’t bothered by this, that’s fine, but I hope you realise you got shafted epically by another developer all in the name of money.

22. God

^
    “I hope you realise you got shafted epically by another developer all in the name of money.”

Ummmm…..so what else is new?

23. Tamo123

Yeah… True. I’m playing more Indie games lately though, Way different to all this clone CoD shit that’s being released.