Mortal Kombat to feature DLC characters

Monday, 28th March 2011 00:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Two DLC characters have been confirmed for Mortal Kombat: Kenshi and Scarlet. If the latter isn’t familiar to you, you’d better hit the books, son.

While Kenshi, who debuted in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, is a familiar face, Scarlet is a little more fringe.

“Anyone who knows the history of Mortal Kombat will tell you that back in the days of the arcade – when they did just palette swap characters to come up with multiple fighters in the game – there was a glitch in one of the old arcade machines that caused the Jade/Katana/Milena female ninja to glitch and turn red,” producer Hans Lo told CVG.

“People always thought it was a hidden unlockable character and it wasn’t, it was purely a programming glitch. They’ve always speculated and in fact it was the fans who named her Scarlet to begin with. She’s no longer a glitch – she’s an actual character, and she’ll be coming pretty soon post-launch.”

Lo said that Netherrealm had planned for fully fledged DLC packages.

“They won’t be copy and pasted from characters already in the game – they’re going to have their own unique fighting styles, moves, fatalities and x-rays – all the good stuff,” he said.

A Gamepro scan obtained by Hadoken initially suggested a third DLC character, four armed boss Kintaro, but producer Hector Sanchez is reported to have tweeted that the information is incorrect.

Series creator Ed Boon is said to have commented that none of the DLC characters will be included on the game’s disc.

Mortal Kombat is due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in mid April.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Darth Murse

I love MK, played the original at the local bowling alley for hours. However, it really peeves me when they announce DLC before the game even comes out. I know its a business, and a business decision, but I can’t help but feel duped out of content. I know its planned that way, and for a reason, but just don’t announce it. Looking at you Visceral Games as well!! Much love to Dead Space series though. Can’t wait til the 19th for MK.

2. Ireland Michael

Well, rumours going around seem to suggest that these DLC characters will be free

If that’s the case, I’m not going to complain.

If it’s *not* the case though, I’m simply just not going to bother buying the game.

DLC characters for fighting games is a retarded idea that achieves nothing except to split the online userbase. I would rather have some cosmetic costumes to buy and get all the characters out of the gate than have to pay for a complete roster.

3. Phoenixblight

I seriously doubt they will be free, Midway will be following what Capcom has done and sell the characters and costume piece by piece. These types of games won’t survive otherwise.

4. osric90

I miss times when you bought the entire thing and all of its extras for one price and didn’t have to wait the downloading.

5. The_Red

DLC won’t be free (Only Kratos for PS3 is free DLC) but come on. It’s not like they kept fan favorite characters out of the game (ala Capcom) and used unlock codes.
    All MK1 to MK3 classic characters (More than 28 fighters) are on the retail package with alternative costumes and X-rays and other stuff. Are you seriously gonna avoid the game just for a couple of DLC characters that are outside of MK1-3 timeline? Plus, as David Jaffe pointed out, many devs start working on DLC only after the game has gone gold.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 I’m pretty sure Kratos comes packed with the game.

7. The_Red

I think they confirmed PS3 buyers can download him for free.

8. Crane

I thought Midway was long gone, no?

9. Phoenixblight

What Red said, it will be like Arkham Asylum PS3 version with the Joker.

This is a Midway studio that was bought by WB for MK.