inXile bringing Choplifter HD to PC, PS3

Monday, 28th March 2011 19:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Hunted dev inXile said today it’s to release a reboot of the classic 80s franchise, Choplifter, on PC and PS3 this autumn.

Choplifter HD “promises to redefine the helicopter rescue mission for the modern era,” apparently. The game includes “20 different missions, ranging from captured military prisoner extraction to saving survivors of viral outbreaks.”

There’s a press release here.

inXile trademarked Choplifter in the US in June.

Choplifter’s properly ancient. The original was released in 1982 for Apple II, and Sega did an arcade version in 1985.

After Choplifter II hit Game Boy in 1991, Choplifter III released in 1994 for Super NES and Game Boy, and got a Game Gear version in 1995.

See? There’s nothing to stop Guitar Hero coming back in 30 years time after all.

There’s a video below. Check out some impressions and screens on IGN. Thanks, YodaJokerBacon.

1. DSB

Is that what I think it is? Holy shit!

2. YodaJokerBacon

IGN had this up last week, pics and video. Just saying. Definite purchase for this Atari 7800 owner.

3. Erthazus

Holy shit! :D thats amazing.

4. Patrick Garratt

@2 – Bah. Missed that. Thanks.

5. Patrick Garratt

Added. Ta.

6. YodaJokerBacon

I liked when it scrolled right to left like in the Atari 7800 version though..

7. Zarckan

So wait, inXile create the fantastic Bards Tale remake, disappear for a while then come back with this? FUCK OFF!!!

8. brotherhoodofthewolf

they’re also doing Hunted: The Demon’s Forge, and have done several other titles since the Bard’s Tale remake. Do keep up 007

9. Coheno

Could it be that I played this on my Commodore Amiga? If it is what I think it is, god damn I’m getting this day one. Although that video didn’t do much for me…

10. Old MacDonald

I remember really enjoying Choplifter back on the C64 (and Apocalypse on the Amiga, which is probably the one you’re remembering, brotherhoodofthewolf). Would not say no to a remake. The trailer didn’t exactly fill me with confidence, though.

11. Blerk

I used to play the original to death in the arcades. Not too sure about the remake, everything seems a bit too zoomed in. But I did like the comedy video. :-)