RE: Operation Racoon City out winter for PS3, 360, PC

Monday, 28th March 2011 12:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom’s announced Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City for a winter release on PS3, 360 and PC, confirming Canadian studio Slant Six Games is developing the title.

The news follows an info dump in the latest issue of OXM US. It’s now been confirmed that you’ll play as a part of the Umbrella Security Services, either by yourself or as part of a four-way co-op mode.

The story sees the USS being given orders to eliminate all evidence of a T-Virus outbreak and kill any survivors. The US government sends out its own forces to try and expose Umbrella’s actions and uncover the cause of the outbreak.

The game will feature the return of iconic locations from Racoon City as well as regular characters, including Leon Kennedy.

Fans of the series will have the chance to rewrite history in the series, as you experience events from Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 from the Umbrella side.

NeoGAF‘s added even more information gleaned from OPM, which mentions that one of the main missions in the game is to “kill Leon” which will enable players to change the aforementioned course of the series’ history. Leon is the gamer’s “main prey” throughout the game in regards to the USS team, which takes its inspiration from Mr. Death himself and is situated on Rockfort Island.

Hunters and Lickers were confirmed for the game, and will be able to “mow down zombies if they’re in the way of their destruction.”

Players will also get more insight into Mr. X before he was sent to Raccoon City after Leon and Claire, and the demo shown to OPM had players battling it out with him at one point.

Gameplay will allow for cover behind stationary objects as well use enemies for cover, adding to the game’s team-based strategic style. Destructible objects in the game will allow players to take out zombies, and shooting lights will also will help keep the zombies away as they are attracted to light.

A new control scheme has been implemented to mimic the more modern control settings of third-person shooters, which according to the magazine is why Capcom approached Slant Six over the development.

As mentioned in the OXM report last week, and previously rumoured, SOCOM Confrontation devs Slant Six is handling development duties.

Capcom didn’t provide assets with the announcement, but GAF‘s posted three GameReactor front covers and the cover from the issue of OXM featuring the game as well as its logo, which we’ve posted here.

1. xino

i need to try a Socom game, i wonder if there’s a demo on PSN.
    I need to know why gamers like it:/

if i like it then I may like this RE

2. Rosseu

I’m not a fan of crapcom but this is getting me excited.

wow there’s an edit button already! grats vg247!

3. Erthazus

I smell DMC story in the future.

4. loki

Canadian? PC? No,thx

5. Moonwalker1982

Socom confrontation wasn’t received very well….we’ll see.

6. azmza

For PC!, oh thats great thx :).

7. YoungZer0

@3: As always, your comment doesn’t make any sense.

8. Erthazus

@7, for you, of course not. Because you are a fan of EMO Dante, so… Don’t even reply to me you uncoordinated ball of ghey.

9. Johnny Cullen

Logo added.

10. YoungZer0

@Emo Erthazus: Emo Dante? Just goes to show that you’re full of shit again. ;) Limited knowledge is no excuse.

And i’m pretty sure i’m not the only one who has a problem figuring out the shit you say.

11. Ireland Michael

@8 Do some research on post punk fashion before you spout off your ignorance. Dante’s design has absolutely no influence from the emo scene at all.

Post Punk: Here and here and here

Emo: Here and here

12. Erthazus

@11, that does not matter to me at all because i really don’t care about subculture much (i don’t know it and i have no interest to know something about it). I just want old fashioned stuff and good gameplay (in which Ninja theory won’t deliver anyway).
    2 failures with ok graphics, good art style, OK story, shitty gameplay for prepubertal children is enough for me.

Same can happen with this game, although Western devs make great third person shooters.

13. Ireland Michael

Then don’t claim its “emo” if you don’t know what the hell it means.

There’s nothing wrong with the art style of DMC. Me, I personally grew out of any interest in the Japanese bishie look well over a decade ago. It’s nice to see Ninja Theory applying their own creative art design (something they excel at) to the latest game.

And I enjoyed all of their games immensely. The depth of Heavenly Sword’s combat reassures me enough that they have what it takes to make this game work.

Your bias towards Ninja Theory is meaningless.

14. YoungZer0

@12: You already stated that you never played the full version of Enslaved, so stfu.

15. woodyrulesok

Interested to see what happens with this.
    Loved all the resident evil games (excluding 5 which I couldn’t get on with)

16. YoungZer0

I really liked Outbreak 1/2. Yes, they failed hard, but that can be blamed on the limited online options of the PS2, the idea behind it, is fantastic and would allow for the first and real online survival horror. So i’m expecting something good here.

17. Christopher Jack

Wake me up when Capcom makes a good Resident Evil game that uses the more common 3rd person controls/cameras, I truly despise past RE games because of it.

18. YoungZer0

3rd person camera? Gross. That was the moment when RE fell apart.

19. jldoom

I’ll wait for at least a demo to come before I judge, but the premise behind it does sound great.

20. Danny Boyle

Hmmmmmm…!
    Yeah! \:D/

21. Danny Boyle

22. PEYJ

I wonder if this is a separate singleplayer+co-op mode or drop-in/drop-out like in RE5? Besides, wasn’t there something about being able to play as other factions?

23. Blerk

Hmm. I really don’t know what to think about this one. Another Resi set in Racoon City should make me happy, but if it just becomes yetanothershooter then….?

Anyway, if you’re doing a proper shooter then please make sure you do proper shooter controls this time, Capcom. You numpties.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

All these RE titles being announced has me gitty, but not really interested (except Revelations). What this RE fan is really hoping for….

+ RE PSP/2 updated announcement

+ BOTH RE Wii rail shooters brought to one PS3 blu-ray with HD/MOVE support (ala DS: Extraction)

+ RE1 gamecube remake brought to PSN/XBLA

+ RE 6 to be more like Lost in Nightmares, and less like RE5.

25. StolenGlory

Seems like the Resi title that nobody wanted tbh.

26. spiderLAW

Ive enjoyed all Resident Evils, including 5 (it was fun, really fun. I especially enjoyed splitscreen with my ex wife.) and excluding Survivor.
    I cnt wait for this one.

27. xino

with the updated image.

So basically this is a homage to Resident Evil movie 1. With those swats team.

which one if Hunk?:P

28. Crab of Thunder

Really looking forwrad to this. Despite what most people say about RE5, i enjoyed it and have high hopes for this one.

29. triggerhappy686

@ Dr.Ghettoblaster – What you said ;)

30. dvcy21

So I’m assuming it’s not going to be scary and it’s going to be a zombie shoot-em fest…Great, sounds like RE5 and L4D mixed together. That’s totally NOT what I expected nor wanted for the next iteration of RE. I’ll try to keep optimistic…but, I’m already on the fence and ready to bail.

31. YoungZer0

@30: I hate people like you. “From the limited information i have about this game, i really expect to hate it.”

32. triggerhappy686

@ dvcy21 – Im hoping they are still cooking RE6 internally.

33. OrbitMonkey

@31 So you hate 99.9% of the internet?

34. YoungZer0

@33: Yes, it’s a very dedicated job.

35. Lounds

@16 is l4d not a survival horror?

36. Gekidami

Scans doods:

37. YoungZer0

@35: Not at all.

@36: Thanks, looks good, but not what i expected. Still would love to see a gameplay trailer or something like that.

38. Prince_Arash

I hope well okay

39. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Nice find Gek!

40. Lounds

left 4 dead is survival horror but with humour

41. YoungZer0

@40: Minus the Survival Horror.

42. Gekidami

^ Indeed, L4D is by no stretch of the imagination, a survival horror. And i honestly doubt this game will be.

43. Ireland Michael

Well, it has the whole “survival” thing. But not really the “horror”.

44. Lounds

The first l4d could be scary lol

45. Gekidami

^ Only if you’re a big girls blouse.

And with infinite ammo pistols, the short lenght of missions and tables full of ammo scattered everywhere, the game didnt really have the ‘survival’ element either.

Its just “A shooter… With Zombies!”

46. spiderLAW

Have you played it on the hardest difficulty…pretty survival if you ask me. Just because you dont run out of pistol ammo doesnt make it not survival. You never face this ammount of zombies on any of the resident evil games, especially not at once. Its horror for the casual market as well. My wife used to get freaked at the sound of the Witch.

Anyways, scans are cool Geki, thanx!

47. LOLshock94

why do i get the feeling that the woman is wong?
    and leon is obviously the STALKER looking dude

48. YoungZer0

@47: You’re wrong on both accounts. Look @36.

49. LOLshock94

if ada is not in this game then it doesnt explain how ada followed leon on resident evil 4. unless im missing something :S

50. IL DUCE

Really looking forward to this game, squad based third person shooter in the RE universe sounds good to me. Slant Six did a good job on Confrontation, I’ve actually been playing it since I got it for 10 bucks when I recently bought my PS3. It wasn’t received well at first due to a lot of lag issues.

51. IL DUCE

@49 it says you will run into Leon Kennedy in the game and he his one of the targets you are being sent to eliminate, it takes place during RE 2 & 3…and that you can change the outcome of those games, and change the events of those Resident Evils such as most likely, killing Leon Kennedy

52. Stephany Nunneley

Added OPM details in there.