The Weekly Wrap – Nukem delayed, 3DS mania, Geohot

Saturday, 26th March 2011 09:09 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Where have you been all week? South America? Don’t worry, we don’t judge – unlike some people. Here’s everything you need to know in one convenient place.

Pitchford explains Duke Nukem Forever delay

What happened: Duke Nukem Forever showed up tardy to the party. Again. But it’s only by a month this time, which is still a pretty big improvement over the game’s previous release date of “hahaha, seriously? You’re joking, right? Oh man, you should see the look on your face right now.”

What it means: Conspiracy theories! It’s a publicity stunt, of course. Why? Well, why would you even ask that? We said “of course” in such a casual and dismissive way that it must be true. Sarcasm aside, let’s be honest here: if you read into something too closely, you’re just jabbing yourself in the eye with a book. Odds are, this is about general polish and possibly incorporating some feedback after mixed responses from the press. And seriously, why would Duke Nukem Forever need more delay inspired infamy? It’s been hard enough to convince people that they’ll be able to buy this thing as is. Who markets their product by saying, “You should be worried about spending money on this”?

Nintendo releases a revolution: “I have to get this console”

What happened: Nintendo released its dual-screened, tri-dimensioned dynamo from Japan’s confines, finally letting the rest of the world have a taste of the “look ma, no glasses” future.

What it means: To butcher a line originally uttered by an animatronic sci-fi muppet, “begun, the portable war has.” As for who will come out on top, it’s anyone’s guess at this point – if indeed there is even a “top” anymore. The portable market’s become wildly diversified in the past couple years, and – since each major player has its own ace in the hole – a definitive “king” may not be in the cards. Once again, Nintendo’s doing its own thing (perhaps to a fault), and people are eating it up. Granted, only time will tell whether or not 3D’s “just a gimmick,” but we pose this question: does it matter? HD used to be a “gimmick.” Now it’s a standard. Funny thing about revolutions: much of the time, we don’t even notice them until we can’t live without them.

Camarillo: Crysis 2 is PC brought to consoles, “not the other way around”

What happened: Crytek once again hopped atop its soapbox to defend Crysis 2′s console focus. Similarly – elsewhere in the world – CD Projekt waved away accusations that The Witcher 2 has been “dumbed down,” and Eidos Montreal revealed that Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s PC version is far from the lead SKU.

What it means: Lately, it’s been all the rage to give powerhouse PC franchises console makeovers, only to then claim that nothing’s actually changed. Everybody wins, basically. But does that philosophy hold water, or is it just a hole-ridden bucket of marketing speak? Well, the results have been mixed. Most recently, Dragon Age II has been relegated to the status of industry whipping boy over its disjointed, unfocused design and general lack of substance. The original Dragon Age, of course, was very much inspired by the classic PC RPGs of yore. DAII, though? Not so much. However, Crysis 2 – despite its lack of graphical customization options – has managed to retain its predecessor’s core elements with a fair deal of success, and Human Revolution looks to be taking its cues from the original game – not some arbitrary notion of what a game for a particular platform should be. Obviously, that’s the ideal. A great game should be great regardless of platform. Reality, however, isn’t so kind, and sometimes sacrifices must be made. But they can definitely be minimized through careful work and consideration – a factor we can only hope the BioWares of the world will begin taking into account.

Hotz on South American “vacation,” lawyer fights back

What happened:
Lies. Intrigue. Backstabbing. Car chases. Wait, no, the other thing: nothing. George “Geohot” Hotz went on vacation. Sony made a catty comment about it. But that was enough to get the ball rolling, and rampant, out-of-control speculation took it from there.

What it means: Well, the vacation’s basically a moot point, but a few of the circumstances surrounding it are worth noting. For one, Hotz’s less-than-straightforward approach to dealing with Sony (see: the PSN account and hard drive issues) make him look justifiably rebellious at best and downright suspicious at worst. Sony, however, isn’t doing itself any favors either. At this point, it’s making no bones about demonizing Geohot as both a symbol of a larger movement and as a human being. It seems, then, that regardless of who “wins” in the eyes of law, everyone loses here – Geohot by being difficult and generally suspicious, and Sony because it’ll have essentially hacked one head off a hydra. In other words, this “problem” is far too multifaceted to attack head-on. Jailbreaking won’t go away because you sued one guy. At this point, nobody’s figured out a “right” approach to dealing with jailbreakers, but one thing’s for sure: this isn’t it.

Report – Resident Evil: Racoon City announced in US OXM

What happened: The Resident Evil series is taking a step off its well-worn path into multiplayer territory. Fortunately, the game seems fairly unique irrespective of that, pitting Umbrella Security Service Squad members against US spec ops forces and forcing both sides to deal with good old-fashioned zombies.

What it means: Resident Evil’s been growing a bit stale lately, so it’s nice to see Slant Six attempting to freshen the pot. Also, multiplayer’s “in” right now, so Racoon City’s reception could have a pretty major impact on the where Resident Evil as a whole – traditionally a single-player-focused franchise – heads next. Lastly, this continues Capcom’s trend of gambling major franchises on Western developers, following titles like Dead Rising 2 and the Devil May Cry series revamp. Granted, a fresh perspective can never hurt, but here’s hoping that doesn’t come at the cost of homogenization and a slow erosion of Capcom’s unique flavor.

1. xino

so Sony were the ones who spread the rumours:/

now it makes sense why raged sony slaves and fanboys are bashing at Hotz for doing this.

I hope he wins and then the court would introduce a new law which ALLOWS us to OWN our console we paid for (not renting it) and we can do whatever the f*k we want with it including hacking it!

today is finished, next week should bring more interesting news.

2. OlderGamer

Very good wrap up Nate, esp on the Sony vs Hotz bit.

3. Crysis

The fact that he just happened to go on ‘vacation’ during a serious law suit is more than a little suspicious, does he have proof that this was planned before the law suit? Is it even legal to ditch the country (or even the state for that matter) while under suit?

“At this point, nobody’s figured out a “right” approach to dealing with jailbreakers, but one thing’s for sure: this isn’t it.”
    Excellent comment right here, couldn’t have said it better myself.

4. Ireland Michael

@1 You are not renting your hardware.

You own it, and you’re allowed to modify it however you want. It’s not the modifying of it that’s illegal, it’s the act of using it for illegal purposes, such as piracy.

That is the law in pretty much every first world country in the world.

The only thing you are “renting” is the PSN service. If Sony wanted to shut down PSN tomorrow, there is nothing you could do to stop them.

5. Crysis

It’s not renting at all, when you purchased the PS3 you were granted a license to use it’s services under certain conditions that you agreed to.

6. OrbitMonkey

Left for dead style gameplay In Raccoon City? Colour me interested. Geohotz v Sony = Bored now. As for the portable *war*, I’m looking foreward to Ninty & Apple throwing stats at each other over who. Sold the most.

7. Crysis

Tired of hearing Nintendo PR speak, one minute they claim that small app-like games are the biggest threat to the gaming industry, next they’re claiming that they don’t even consider it competition, if someone’s taking away your market share, they clearly are competition.

8. Erthazus

Fantastic Nate. Everything is perfect. From Sony vs Geohot to “PC brought to consoles”

MOAR of this please.

9. xino

anyone who stills support Sony are nothing but sony slaves.
    Sony are far right guilty and justice will prevail!

10. TheWulf

@Crysis

The problem with your argument is that you’re clearly saying that an operating system is a service and you can’t really deny that. We both know that it’s true that the jailbreaking happens at the OS level, there’s nowhere else that it can happen, so the only modifications that are made are to the OS.

In other words, people are violating the license of the PS3 OS. This is what I have a problem with, really, because that’s essentially saying that they’re not entitled to do what they like with the operating system that they purchased. Microsoft doesn’t flip a shit like this whenever someone reverse engineers parts of Windows for a reason. A very good reason. It’s so that people don’t immediately hop over to their direct competition – Linux.

However, due to the monopoly of the OS in regards to consoles, Sony can lay down the law. But here’s the interesting thing – do you want to know what I think they were scared of? Not piracy. No. Not even remotely. I think they were more scared of people accessing the whole system to the point where they could install any OS on it, installing a good PPC-based OS on it, and then using that to play games which Sony hasn’t officially sanctioned for sale, which they don’t get royalties from.

That’s what I think it came down to, at the end of the day, and that’s what I’d speculate and be more than willing to believe. I’d believe that more than they did it because they were cheap (which is plausible, too), and so much more than they did it as a security concern (which is highly implausible to say the least, for reasons that have been covered in a hundred other threads). They gave people Other OS thinking that they’d always be in control. They’re not afraid of piracy but rather people actually going their own way and doing their own thing with the PS3, in essence, they’re afraid of losing their iron-fisted grip, they’re afraid of losing control.

In the console biz, the more control you have over people, the more money you generate, and console consumers don’t really know any better than that. This is why I’m a PC gamer, because I’m in control on the PC and I make my own choices rather than having them made for me by the corporation that owns my hardware. I would never run a system where I was dictated to. And that’s a level of freedom that people were figuring out how to utilise with the Other OS option – something that Sony thought they’d locked down but hadn’t done too good of a job of. Essentially the PS3 would become an alternative PC option, as near to fully capable as a PC is.

I think they saw their lack of control coming and decided to dictate to people that they no longer had the option to do what they wanted with their consoles. Imagine if Sony ended up with such a great deal with a film and entertainment provider that they decided to remove video playback from the console – that they made it your choice. How would you feel about that? That’d be a choice that was made for you. And if you didn’t obey and fall into line, you’d not be able to play any of the latest games. How about music playback? Web surfing? They can pull any of this for you, and make the decision for you that you don’t need any of that crap.

That’s the difference, you don’t understand Other OS because it’s not something that you value. So you can just say ‘oh, it’s a service and it’s totally okay for Sony to pull a service from their hardware,’ but you’d change your tune if that directly impacted you. If Sony decided to revoke your PSN games, for example, just shutting down PSN because they could no longer afford it but not offering you any compensation for those PSN games that you can no longer play. That’s fine, right? It was a service, the service is gone, and it’s completely okay that your games are gone. That’s what you’re saying.

This is the problem. People are amazingly selfish, and they only care about something insofar as it impacts them. If it doesn’t then they don’t give a damn, and their provider is a saint until they do something that impacts them directly, and then they show how two-faced they are. This is standard behaviour for us humans, but it shouldn’t be. It’s really annoying if I’m going to be honest with you.

Yes, it’s a service, it’s okay to pull it, that’s fine. Because you don’t use it.

Do you know what this reminds me of? What you remind me of? An MMO player. :p No, hear me out, this is entirely valid. You have professions in an MMO, you play one, and you want to ensure that that one remains the most valid for play. Thus we see the rock, paper, scissors scenario. “I am rock, scissors is fine, nerf paper.” That’s the mentality you have right there. Because it doesn’t directly impact you you don’t even have the slightest bit of empathy for those whom it does impact. I’m almost finding the lack of empathy of the modern adult to verge on sociopathic, to be honest, but that’s a discussion for anther day.

When it impacts you, you’ll care. Before then, I can’t expect you to.

11. xino

@thewulf

don’t argue with that buffoon attention seeking whore Crysis. He’s one of the plague of this site that does nothing but instigate and fuels argument. The asshole’s been acting like a f*king whore seeking and craving for a cock so badly, he just keeps replying to every of my comment and hoping for the best I’ll reply back to him.

I just ignore the d*khead. I would really advise you not to bother replying to him because you wouldn’t get anywhere and all you’ll get is a 20% IQ comment coming from him and constantly belittling you by calling you a child.

And you have a strong point about what Sony were scared off. It wasn’t to do with piracy and it was to do with hacking the internal of the ps3 such as the mltrd key.

My grip is, if Sony knew gamers and hackers would be under control via the OtherOS and aware that they could get into the ps3′s internal system, why include OtherOS in the first place? why make it your selling tool? This is something that baffles me so much!

Its like saying we give unlimited happy hour drinks at a restaurant, and the company found out that the guest are heavy drinks and could cause shortage to their stock, therfore they stopped the unlimited happy hour drink they advertised in their offer and that you paid for.

All the Sony slaves ever say is “you agreed to the terms”. what terms? terms that cannot be avoided, how would I upgrade my bluray firmwire? how would I download add ons and DLC? Meaning there is no choice but to submit.

12. OlderGamer

Another great post from you, Wulf. Well said.

13. Shonak

Total agreement with TheWulf achieved.

14. Crysis

@10, I more or less agree with you & although I didn’t care about Other OS’ removal, I do sympathize for the guys that were affected by it as I have mentioned in other posts how they’re forced to choose between a PSN(which is needed for many newer games)or Other OS, but people should also know what to expect when they get a closed/controlled system so unfortunately for everyone affected, the law is the law, but the law does not necessarily mean justice, but it’s up to the courts to decide on that.
    I can’t say for certain about why Sony is so vigilante about this, but as you said the cause is/was their lack of control & while your reasons are likely a factor, the case stretches much further than Sony not profiting from people running (questionably unethical that seems to be legal) emulators, the one thing that’s obvious that someone/people were exploiting(or planning to) the Other OS in a way that scared Sony into action, coincidentally George Hotz managed to gain access to the graphics card via Linux, mere weeks before Sony removed it, something that the class action lawsuit against Sony claims cannot be accessed.

15. Crysis

“I just ignore the d*khead” Sure, that’s why you keep mentioning me.

“you wouldn’t get anywhere and all you’ll get is a 20% IQ comment coming from him “Maybe it’s your iq preventing you from understanding another person’s pov causing a whiplash of unprovoked personal attacks.

“Meaning there is no choice but to submit” You know what to expect when you buy a console, if you don’t like it you vote with your money & become a PC gamer, the PS3 was the perfect games, multimedia & computing machine but unprovoked hackers caused the computing feature to be removed, then these hackers used that as an excuse to go on a holy crusade about digital rights having no purpose. Spin that whatever way you want but Sony didn’t remove it just to laugh at it’s consumers getting angry.

Now before you needlessly insult me again, I would suggest you look up GeoHot’s activity recently before Other OS’ removal, then you may finally get a clue about why everyone isn’t blindly calling him a hero, it’s entirely his fault Other OS was gone, now he’s in trouble for fixing his mistake because he was too arrogant to leave well enough alone in the first place, probably caused by the smugness he probably received after beating Apple in that trial.
    Don’t get me wrong, he’s an incredible boy-genius, but surely he must have known how much trouble he could get into by taking the law into his own hand like a cyber-vigilante.

16. Christopher Jack

“I’m almost finding the lack of empathy of the modern adult to verge on sociopathic”
    LOL! So true.

17. Ireland Michael

@10 Brilliant post, Wulf. I completely agree.

It’s sad really, but that’s how people are. Being in the MMO community for years, I know *exactly* the kind of people you’re talking about.

18. Christopher Jack

@17, Well he’s replying to me (I am Crysis but my previous posts have oddly kept the same name), but he’s only judging me from a few of my posts, I truly empathize with those that actually made use of the Other OS, my entire point is: I don’t like what Sony have done, but I can mildly understand why they have done it, I just want a detailed explanation which I hope Sony will eventually provide.

From the information that I’ve gathered, GeoHot (& likely some other hackers too) are the reason why it was removed then they used that as the excuse to gather a following to justify their possibly illegal actions but before that, their only reasoning was homebrew but you could already do most of what homebrew enables with Other OS, so all this has spurred out of control for no reason.

Now several dozen guys are being sued, some games are almost unplayable online, Sony’s losing money due to piracy (Fact is they are but I can’t tell you to what extent) & nothing has really been accomplished from all of this.

Now my final post regarding Xino, you are one of the most one sided people that I’ve ever seen, can you comprehend another person’s point of view at all? Here’s the most basic link I can provide you, just scroll down to ‘Hacking the PlayStation 3′ & read the first paragraph- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohot
    ^This is so far, the only reason Sony has to the removal of the Other OS.

19. OrbitMonkey

Great posts by TheWulf & Christopher Jack, food for thought indeed.