Rise of Nightmares detailed by ESRB: impaling, folks cut in half, pasties

Friday, 25th March 2011 13:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

After SEGA showed a glimpse of its Kinect title Rise of Nightmares at TGS last year, not much else was heard regarding the horror title other than a 2011 release. Thankfully, the ESRB has remedied the situation a bit for us.

According to the ESRB listing dug up by Siliconera, the folks behind House of the Dead, Wow Entertainment, have created a a game based on every tourist’s worst fear: having your wife kidnapped by a deranged scientist and being forced to kill zombie-like creatures with chainsaws.

Here’s the description:

This is a horror-adventure game in which players assume the role of an American tourist who must rescue his wife from a deranged scientist. From a first-person perspective, players use brass knuckles, knives, hatchets, and chainsaws to kill zombie-like creatures and disfigured monsters inside a mansion environment. Combat is highlighted by exaggerated sprays of blood, and damage often results in dismemberment or decapitation—stray body parts sometimes litter the ground.

Some sequences and cutscenes depict more intense acts of violence: a man screams loudly as spikes impale his body; a restrained character’s hand is chopped off before he is killed; a character (cut in half) crawls away in a pool of blood; a soldier is ripped apart by a monster, causing blood to stain the screen. During the course of the game, some female creatures are depicted in revealing outfits (e.g., ‘pasties’ that partially cover their breasts); in one sequence, a woman sits on the central character’s chest and engages in suggestive dialogue (e.g., ‘Oh, how I’ve thought of this—night after night. How I’ve missed these lips.’). Dialogue also includes phrases such as ‘Best sex of my life.’/’Worst sex of my life,’ ‘f**k,’ and ‘sh*t.’

The ESRB notes that players will use various objects to fend off those trying to do them in with various weapons, and since it is a Kinect title, start practicing jabbing and hacking motions now.

Thanks, StolenGlory.

1. StolenGlory

Certainly sounds more interesting than the usual Kinect fare thus far.

No worries on the sub.

2. Deacon

I’m very eager to see what ‘serious’ games devs can make for the Kinect.
    My current view is that without any other form of controller, they’ll mostly be casual/party tripe. This does nothing to tell me otherwise. Sounds god-awful. I think the only time this kind of game would be good is when you get home from the pub after 10 pints, or perhaps after Charlie Sheening a few grams.

3. StolenGlory

“I think the only time this kind of game would be good is when you get home from the pub after 10 pints, or perhaps after Charlie Sheening a few grams.”

I’m utterly surprised that folks would play Kinect in any other state of mind to be honest.

4. Blerk

I’m disappointed that the aforementioned “pasties” aren’t tasty meat and pastry combos from Cornwall.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 God those are yummy. Esp. with a bit of brown gravy on the side.

6. StolenGlory

Ginsters FTW.

You know this to be true :)

7. Blerk

They’d probably be evil pasties given the context, though. They’d eat YOU or something.

8. The_Red

Wow, this description almost makes me want to buy a Kinect. This seems like an actual video game and not crappy Wii-too with arm waggling “party” activities.

Also blood, gore and the M rating are always a plus in my book.

9. SamaT

I guess this is what Microsoft meant by core titles coming to Kinect. Interesting to see how this will do being as the game Madworld was in a similar situation over on the Wii. It did’t sell well albeit was a nicely done title.