SCEA to transfer its online services, including PS wallet and funds, to SNEA

Thursday, 24th March 2011 19:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA has announced that on April 1, it will transfer its online services operations, including PSN users’ PS wallets and the funds in it, to Sony Network Entertainment America (SNEA).

According to the mail being sent out to users, the first time you sign in to your Sony Online Services account on or after April 1, you will be asked to enter into a new Terms of Service and User Agreement with SNEA.

“If you do not wish to enter into a contract with SNEA, you may decline the terms of service and we will close your account(s) and return your funds,” said the mail. If you wish to look over the new agreement, click here.

Sony said in the mail PSN will “continue to provide you with the highest standard of interactive entertainment,” with all former access to remain intact.

This is the first step towards the expansion of PlayStation Network which will see Sony expand its book, game, music and video offerings through both PSN and Qriocity, something which CEO Kaz Hirai alluded to at CES.

While winking around about the rumored PS Phone at the time, Hirai said the firm would “of course” be taking advantage of achievements across all Sony divisions by developing “products that leverage Sony’s greatest assets”.

“In 2011, you will start to see an implementation of a strategy we’ve developed and continually refined over the past 18 months,” he said in January. “And you will see this strategy executed in the form of great new products and services coming to market that leverage Sony’s strongest assets.

“In addition to launching a line of Sony tablets, we’ll be building upon the video, music, game and book offerings on our Qriocity and our PlayStation Network services to deliver a compelling, unique experience for Sony across a wide range of consumer electronic devices.”

1. Syrok

How would they go about returning funds if you only used PSN cards and never entered any bank details?

2. Crysis

I wonder if Sony or Sony Ericsson will bring out an ‘iPad killer’.

3. theevilaires

It about damn time. I was watching the NGP interview video in the PlayStation Store we got this week and Kaz has seem to be more laid back and mature. He is really serious about everything SONY now and I wonder is this isn’t a power move to be head man for Sir Howards position when he leaves. Interesting indeed but yes where ever PlayStation goes I go so I’m aboard this new ship SNEA….now unify and release cross game chat somehow please!

4. lexph3re

@ 1 the article says via mail. You know to your house, where you live

5. OrbitMonkey

Does this mean I’ll be able to buy stuff off the American psn store, even though i’m In the UK?

6. Gekidami

^ You mean with the same account? Because i had no problem buying stuff off the US Store with a mock up US account before this.

7. OrbitMonkey

@6 Really? How’d you fund your mock account?

8. Gekidami

With a stolen credit card.

No, actually, with my standard debit card. I just put in the details and it works.

9. Crysis

@8, Really!? I would have thought that you would need a Visa card from America to buy things from the US PS store.

10. Gekidami

My debit card is a Visa. I just select that in the list then put the rest of the info as if it were a credit card. My card, atleast, works overseas so it being American or not doesnt matter. I assume its the same for most cards.

11. Crysis

I believe all Visa cards work in most places of the world, my point is I thought that it would have needed to be issued by an American company or something…

12. abklin

( http://www.voguecatch.us )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!

Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30

DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35

Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    ( http://www.voguecatch.us )

Jeans price is $34

Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ( http://www.voguecatch.us )
    ur friends’ adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!
    @#$%^&*(@#$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&

13. DeathJynx

Damn it! PSN in game advertising… I hope this can be disabled for plus users…

14. Syrok

@4: Ehm, where does it say that?