Nielsen: Wiis make up 59% of consoles in US living rooms

Wednesday, 23rd March 2011 22:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A new survey by Nielsen suggests the Wii dominates US living rooms, as well as providing the opportunity to ask people where they keep their Wii. Hurh hurh.

Gamasutra reports Nielsen found 59 percent of US respondents with consoles in their living rooms have Wiis.

The PlayStation 3 is hot on Nintendo’s heels with 53 percent, with the Xbox 360 trailing at 45 percent.

The Wii’s glut of family and motion titles was cited as an explanation for its prevalence, with other consoles expected to catch up on the strength of new motion control systems.

Gamers who keep their consoles elsewhere usually have them in the bedroom, although seven percent put them in the basement.

The master bedroom is a popular spot at ten percent, with only one in five of bedroom consoles being in a child’s room.

Of consoles in kids’ bedrooms, the Xbox 360 is the most popular. That makes sense; you need privacy from authority figures to get a really offensive rant on over Live.

1. _LarZen_

Everyone has a Wii….heck I have one. But how many use it…now THAT is the question.

2. Bond James Bond

No surprises there then…

3. theevilaires

the PS2 makes up 92% :D

4. lexph3re

Yeah I don’t have a wii, neither does my friend, or my other friend. My 1 friend has one and a ps3, my other 2 has all three, my mom doesn’t have one, my wifes dad and mom don’t have one my other friend only has a 360. Hmmmm I don’t think everyone has a wii @1 :-P

5. FredEffinChopin

Wii also makes up 85% of the dust collected on purchased consoles.

6. ManuOtaku

#5 you mean the dust made by mario with those mushrooms right 8D

7. LOLshock94

wii is a awesome console u gays

8. ManuOtaku

#7, Nah… dont believe them in the end all of them own the wii and enjoy it, but is just nice to hate the wii, make them look just more “mature” and “manly” you known .*shrugs*

9. lexph3re

No I don’t own a wii. I own the wii 2.0 as people like to call it. And, I won’t argue with wii being fun. Its just not my cup of tea. There is a complete noticeable difference in wii and move. I just happen to like the move more. Therefore I don’t need a wii.

10. ManuOtaku

Aha got ya, but you were cool with the part “but is just nice to hate the wii, make them look just more “mature” and “manly” you known” 8D .
    P.D Just kidding mate