Camarillo: Crysis 2 is PC brought to consoles, “not the other way around”

Tuesday, 22nd March 2011 23:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Soothing an inflammatory comment about ripping CryEngine apart for multiplatform development, Crytek’s Nathan Camarillo has said nevertheless, Crysis 2 is built to the PC’s strengths, not for consoles.

“Fundamentally, we’re starting from our PC roots and then … wrangling the consoles to our will to create that kind of gameplay and gameplay experience on consoles,” he told games.on.net.

“… not the other way around. We’re not gonna get a console game and bring it to PC.”

Camarillo confirmed high end PC versions “of course” look better than either console platform, citing increased texture memory, greater processing power, and greater than HD resolutions.

“[The console versions] look awesome, but [the Xbox 360 is] a five year old piece of hardware technology. The PC version with everything maxed out is absolutely mind blowing.”

The executive producer also repeated his comment regarding CryEngine, this time saying the team tore its guts out.

Crysis 2 released in the US today and arrives in Europe on Friday. Early reviews suggest it is wholly splendid.

1. Erthazus

“Camarillo: Crysis 2 is PC brought to consoles, “not the other way around””

Lies at best. It’s a shoddy console port. There are no graphical settings at all except for “Gamer”, “Advanced” and “hardcore” which is absolutely horrible for PC standard and especially Crysis 1 which had a lot of functions.

and there is no Direct X11. They promised to have it at the game at launch, now they say something about the future patch and DRM.

Game also looks worse then Crysis 1 by almost 3 times. I’m sorry, but that is a huge troll comment from them. Maybe some cheap journos believe them, but a lot of gamers are not blind.
    It’s the other way around and i’m not pleased with this. I didn’t wanted for Crysis 2 to look better then Crysis 1, but i wanted to have the same visuals for my 60$

and i’m enjoying only a singleplayer, while multiplayer is a Call Of Duty knock off. I like Crysis 1 more even with the second part of the campaign which was a bit shitty.

2. Bond James Bond

The first game was pish, like Halo, i didn’t know what all the fuss was about after playing it. As for Crysis 2, i’ll pass…

3. The_Red

Yeah, because nothing screams PC like having a “Press Start Button” at the beginning of the game. I’m sure consoles have never had that but all classic and old school PC titles did.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I thought with setting maxed on PC it looked pretty damn impressive. Better than anything i’ve seen so far and I’ve got a GTX465.

5. YoungZer0

Still looking for that “Start Button” on my Keyboard.

Seriously, who are they trying to fool here?

6. HauntaVirus

I’m pretty damn sure my keyboard doesn’t have a start button either. I’m more than a little disappointed with how this turned out for PC gamers.

It really has no DX11 support???

7. runbmp

Why is it that most objects in Crysis have physics attached to them and Crysis 2 doesn’t? This must be a ” multiplatform ” optimization huh?

wow, its sad to see Crytek is just another Activision. Sad, well we always have Crysis one to remember and be grateful for.

8. jacobvandy

PC’s strength has always been the QUICK SAVE. Not even two hours into the campaign and I’m already sick of the checkpoints!

9. loki

it is all about graphics and buying new videocard, not about good game and this is why PC always will suck
    PS go to hell with yout Crysis 2

10. T_L_T

@8 – What about Far Cry? That was all checkpoints and very much a PC game.

However I am very disappointed so far after playing the demo, and now discovering there’s no dx11…. Cancelled my pre order and will leave this one for the consoles.

11. Overdos3