55% of 360 owners have bought a digital title, says EEDAR

Tuesday, 22nd March 2011 13:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Research firm EEDAR has said that over half of Xbox 360 owners have bought a downloadable title.

According to the firm’s Geoffrey Zatkin, speaking at GDC, 55 percent of those who bought a 360 have bought a game from Xbox Live Marketplace.

The stat rises to 64 percent for “core genre fans”.

Downloadable revenue for the traditional gaming market, according to Zatkin, would increase by 35 percent YoY in 2011. He also added that 76 percent of gamers were aware of DLC, but only 44 percent have ever purchased it, and 90 percent of consumers would like to see DLC for games within three months of its release.

There’s a full report on the session here. Thanks, GI.

1. Ge0force

“90 percent of consumers would like to see DLC for games within three months of its release”

I guess “No DLC, put everything on the retail disc” was not an option in that survey?

2. Blerk

Not surprising, there are some brilliant games on XBLA. I’ve only ever bought a couple of bits of DLC, though – and I only bought those because they were on special offer. It often seems very over-priced when you consider you can get full XBLA games for the same price.

3. OlderGamer

I spend alot if not most of my game time playing XBLA games.

For the asking price, its hard to get more value out of a game then some of the Arcade games. And with demos for each one, hard to beat that.

4. pukem0n

the only full price DLC i ever got was Dead Money for New Vegas, and i havent even started playing it yet. so no more full price DLCs for me anymore ^^

got both Alan Wake DLCs and all Mass Effect 2 DLCs on that new years sale for 2,50€ each and some Forza 3 packs for 2,50 each

and yes, i guess “go to hell with your stupid DLC” wasnt an option ;)

5. Mondayding

So only 76 percent of gamers are aware of it but 90 percent of them would like to see it available within three months of a games release, even though only 44 percent have bought DLC in the past?

Does not compute.

Is there anyone in the world who likes DLC who doesn’t also own a publishing or development company?

6. Blerk

I like the idea of DLC. I just don’t like the implementation usually.

Rockstar had the right idea with their GTA and Red Dead ‘expansion pack’ add-ons. Bioshock 2′s Minerva’s Den was pretty much right on the button too, and some of the Fallout 3 add-ons.

I don’t want expensive, 2-hour bite-size chunks at 800-1200 points. I want a full add-on, like the expansion packs of old. Value for money, in other words.

7. freedoms_stain

I’ve bought a few XBLA titles, some I wish I hadn’t, particularly those available on PC as I’ve realised that my purchases are probably forfeit soon after Microsoft release new hardware.

Ditto for DLC, shoulda got those games on PC too (where possible)

8. DaMan

I bought quite a few dlcs, although only the ones released long after the title’s launch. Reach maps are ace ie, and you also don’t have any teamkilling cretins or camping bastards on them.

bought more xbla arcade games than retail ones this gen, I hate the current trend of pricing them at 1200 though, it would seem that started to happen regardless of the quality.

9. Lounds

Steam does a good job of advertising DLC and people eat that shit up