UK charts: Homefront enters at number one

Monday, 21st March 2011 09:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Chart-Track’s confirmed that THQ shooter Homefront has gone in at number one in the UK.

The Kaos shooter, which was heavily advertised by THQ in the run-up release, has managed to sell 82 percent of what the New York studio’s first retail title, Frontlines: Fuel of War, has since it first launched in 2008.

As well as that, and being THQ’s first UK number one since 2009 with UFC Undisputed 2009, EG’s Johnny Minkley has said that it was the biggest console launch of 2011 so far.

Namco marketing boss Lee Kirton’s tweeted that the game’s sales were “in Microsoft’s favour.” The game was advertised on 360 in the lead-in to launch.

Last week’s number one, BioWare RPG Dragon Age II, is now at second.

The rest of the top five consists of Pokemon White, new entry Total War: Shogun II and Pokemon Black.

Full top ten for the week ending March 19 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Homefront (Kaos, THQ)
  2. Dragon Age II (BioWare, EA)
  3. Pokemon White (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  4. Total War: Shogun II (The Creative Assembly, Sega)
  5. Pokemon Black (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  6. Fight Night Champion (EA Sports, EA)
  7. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  8. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)
  9. Killzone 3 (Guerrilla Games, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  10. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)

1. Mr-Brett

Good to see some new releases in the top 5 and amazingly Blops isn’t even in the top 10!

2. Joe Anderson

Pleased for THQ, when was the last time they had a number one? Anyone know?

3. freedoms_stain

Honestly, I don’t think Homefront would have sold if there had been any other anticipated multiplat multiplayer shooters due out this quarter. I think it’s been sold off the back of media saturation and a large population of gamers who found black ops meh and needed something else to fill the void til the big boys release their games later in the year.

Homefront is a classic case of decent ideas being wrapped in a shell of poor execution and mediocrity. I think rather much like MoH before it, it’ll fade into obscurity fairly quickly.

4. Suikoden Fan

i thin that sold homefront was the amount of pr THQ gave that game and the fact websites like VG couldnt resist posting stories about the game all the time, making ‘artificial hype’

given all the problems the game has it should still be in dev

5. Ge0force

It’s kinda sad how marketing owns quality in sales

6. Joe Anderson

@6 Its always the way – Hype > Quality.

7. Crysis

Well good for THQ.

8. monu-mental

Hey Johnny, at number 3 is Pokemon White, not Black.. Just spotted it.

9. Dralen

Well at least they know they’ve got their marketing skills down. Hopefully the sequel, which will obviously come now, will be alot better.

10. NeoSquall

Duh, you should fix the double Pokemon Black entry: the third position one is White.

11. Johnny Cullen

@Monu Thanks. I’ve fixed that and added in more additional info. It’s the biggest UK console launch this year, apparently.

12. gomersoul

homefront is a good game, so was medal of honor, albeit not perfect they are still enjoyable shooters. i’m glad it took the top spot.

13. monu-mental

@Johnny, thanks for the added info. And it’s also amazing that the game’s turned out to be UK’s biggest launch for the year. Says a lot about review scores and their effect on games. Also says a lot about advertising and its effect on games.

In the end, I’m happy for both THQ and Kaos, the former’s stock will jump back up and go to higher levels, while the latter will stay open as a studio – working on Homefront 2.

There was talk they would have be dissembled and shipped to England if things didn’t work out.

14. xxJPRACERxx

@5: Never heard of CoD?

15. Aman27deep

Really glad for THQ. Homefront isn’t a bad game AT ALL. Much better than COD IMHO.

Just hoping that they can improve upon the Graphics for Homefront 2, and i gotta feeling the sequel is coming out next year.

16. Aimless

Rather than buying yet another middling shooter people should give Yakuza 4 a try. From what I’ve played it’s the best in the series and an absolutely massive game.

No other game has struck quite the same balance between amicability and extreme, face-stamping violence.

17. reask

I have to say I rented this because of reviews.
    I have been pleasantly surprised thus far.
    Problems with on line ok but when you do get in to a match it is quite good.
    SP I played the first 3 missions on the hardest setting guerilla and was finding it tough going.
    Went back to an easier setting as it is due back wed.

Does it do anything new? No but it does the fps pretty ok imo.
    Multi needs sorting and if it does I reckon folks will hang around for a while.
    Just my take on it anyway.

18. theevilaires

I think I will give it a go according to you Reask.

19. reask

I don’t think you will be disappointed TEA it is a ok game and fairly challenging in parts depending on difficulty settings.
    Third mission was a bitch fighting through the store.

It is what it is and if like me you like a good fps you will enjoy it.
    I am waiting to see how the servers pick up and I reckon I will pick up the PS3 version. we can have a few games together then whilst we wait for Resistance 3. :)

20. theevilaires

yes very true Reask and more trophies wouldn’t hurt in the mean time.

21. Grimrita

Good to see that Shogun didnt make it to number 1. Its an unfinished pile of shit, typical now from Sega/CA. Such a shame.

I should thank them for all the bullshots as well because the graphics in game are NOTHING like the screens and videos because the ‘finished’ game hasnt shipped with AA and dx11 support.

22. DSB

According to my bro, Shogun 2 is pretty good, but I’ve personally seen it crash to desktop on him more than once in a couple of hours.

Apparently the AI is a lot more determined to kill you this time around though. It’s just more of the same with a few nuts and bolts screwed in differently and some lovely artwork.

I’m gonna wait for a sale so I don’t lose face, either way.

23. Grimrita

@22 – I am more pissed at myself really. I wasnt going to buy it as I had a feeling it would be shit. But I needed a new game, so bought it and yep, its shit.

The patch on friday locked everyone OUT of the game and then for some, corrupted some saves. And the last time I checked, 100% chance of success meant that the chances of you being succesful in a mission was, erm, 100% – but not according to CA, as I failed a mission lol.

Last Total War game I ever buy on release day.

24. lexph3re

How long has bulletstorm been off?

25. Gekidami

^ Just this week by the looks of it, last week it was 6th.

26. lexph3re

Odd by the hype people we’re spewing I though kz3 would’ve dropped out the top10 before bulletstorm. Hmmm…. I’m wondering if kz3 is going to be one of those titles that sells good lifetime over initial release

27. xD3S1x