Lionhead has “a very clear idea where Fable will go in the future”

Saturday, 19th March 2011 15:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Lionhead has an clear idea what the future holds for the next Fable, and it plans to make it stand “head and shoulders up,” with any other developer in the industry.

Speaking in an interview with CVG fresh off his BAFTA award, Peter Molyneux said that after the success of Fable 2, his expectations for the third installment were “sky high.”

“I totally blame myself, not anyone upstairs, who all did a wonderful job,” he said. “The planning was the problem. We had to look at the process. I think we took Fable 3 and realized it wasn’t quite up-to-date with [the best modern games] and that we need to go forward.

“But the great thing about Fable is there’s nothing quite like it out there. There’s nothing wrong with FPS games, but they are what they are – their currency is what they blow up. Our currency is this beautiful charming dramatic world that has different things in it every day.

“I have a very clear idea where Fable will go in the future. Trying to be diplomatic, I think that whatever we do next with Fable, we should just amaze people with the quality. If we go on, we’re not just going to make another Fable, we’re going to make something that stands head and shoulders up with anybody else out there – the best of the best – in terms of its technology, its drama and its storytelling.”

1. DEADEYES

The game will go to.. social networks!

2. Suikoden Fan

Yahtzee knows where http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2652-Fable-3

3. RockTwist

After his recent confession that he’s a bullshitter I find it hard to believe anything this guy says.

4. Zurtech

Or Kinect only.

5. UuBuU

I find it hard believing a word this man says. I think he has a completely wrong idea of what the community actually wants from a Fable game, which is a shame because in the hands of another developer this series could easy have become one of the greatest of all time.

I’ll consider buying Fable 4 only if it’s 4 times as long as the last one, has MUCH more items and customization options, a better storyline, better graphics and artwork (which for some strange reason took a dip from Fable 2).

I don’t care about Jonathon Ross or John Cleese doing voicework, and I don’t care about any cheap gimmicks Molyneux thinks are mind-blowing and unqiue which are actually very uninteresting. The next Fable doesn’t need this. They should just go back to Fable 1 and 2, look at the best aspects of both those games and add much more content. Also, please reverse the dumbing down. I hate this trend at the moment where developers think making their games more accessible is a good idea. Since when has Fable ever been too inaccessible or complex!? If anything they should be going in the other direction and adding much more depth! Really, Mr Molyneux.

6. Maximum Payne

Not to mention they are releasing game for PC same day when Witcher 2 is coming out LOL

7. UuBuU

@6 I’ll honestly be surprised if the PC version sells well at all after how much they messed the community around over release dates, etc.

They should’ve just scrapped the whole idea the moment they realised they weren’t going to make the initial release. It’s fairly apparent from both reviews and the Fable fanbase that Fable 3 is a step down in the series anyway, and in my opinion they should just forget it ever happened and move on.

8. Maximum Payne

^^ they can always blame Pirates :P

9. redisdrunk

@3 Considering his delayed responses and reactions to most modern gaming trends, I guess nobody can be surprised that he’s just now coming around to the fact that his full of it.

If Fable 3 was an indication of where the franchise is going, I’m clearly not on board with Lionhead or whatever community they believe they’re catering to and I find it absolutely disheartening that they feel this confident about the franchise and it’s future incarnations after taking such missteps with 3.

10. monkeygourmet

Same as everyone else is saying: stop dumbing shit down… Run the games past your son Peter, I’m sure he would be a good indication of if you need to make things more simple…