Former EA exec believes Microsoft’s in much better shape than its competitors

Saturday, 19th March 2011 20:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Neil Young, the founder of American-based publisher of iOS and Android games, ngmoco, feels Microsoft is sitting in a better position with Xbox 360 than Sony with PS3.

Speaking with IndustryGamers, Young said the reason Xbox Live is doing so much better is because takes more of a games as a service approach.

“In the hardware world, I think Sony’s massively out of position,” he said. “I think they’re in trouble. I think Microsoft’s in much better shape.

“They understand cloud computing; the Xbox Live service is a world-class service, and they’ve got a foothold in mobile, albeit a tenuous one. I think they’re in better shape.”

He goes on to say that while Nintendo may have the “benefit of its franchises,” the company doesn’t provide a “rich ecosystem for third parties.”

Young left Electronic Arts in 2008 to form ngmoco, which has since garnered more than seven million combined game installs and is mostly know for its Rolando and Eliminate games series.

1. Razor

“and they’ve got a foothold in mobile, albeit a tenuous one.”

Yeah, yeah, because Windows Mobile is clearly trouncing everyone.

Seriously, this guy is off his trolley.

2. Erthazus

I completely agree.

Microsoft have a STRONG software development and at least Halo to back them up with XBOX LIVE. With the NG hardware they can solve the issue by making this time around a solid console.

Nintendo can back up old school games like Mario, Zelda. So they will never go away.

Sony on the other hand? They can make only superior hardware, but for them to make something like this is risky and they don’t have something to back up. Even Gran Turismo 5 is no a system seller anymore. PSN is not so strong enough and all their iP’s sell 4 million at MAX.

I think, NGP will prove if Sony can stay in the market.

Microsoft have a better position then Sony with third parties, while Ninty with first parties (Old school games)… Sony… Everything in the middle. something fantastic, something not so much…

3. Aimless

The thing about this industry is that being in a good position doesn’t necessarily count for much during the next round. Nintendo dropped the ball with the N64, Sony unloaded a clip into both feet with the PS3, so who’s to say Microsoft aren’t next in line?

So long as everyone’s successful enough to be competitive and keep putting out games I don’t really care.

4. Razor

“Sony need to make money too you know?”

Er…they are?

5. Erthazus

@4, i’m captain obvious. :D

6. OrbitMonkey

@3 You my friend are being far to sensible. Completely agree by the way :)

7. OrbitMonkey

In other news, Rolando announced for xbox live!

8. Bond James Bond

I wish Sony and MS would fuck off into a corner and die, along with their fanboys.

Nintendo are the only firm in the console market that is doing anything innovative as we’ve seen with the Wii and DS. The PS3 and 360 on the other hand are just more of what came before.

9. WetSnake

@ Erthazus

“Microsoft have a STRONG software development”
    And so does Sony.

“ony on the other hand? They can make only superior hardware, but for them to make something like this is risky and they don’t have something to back up. Even Gran Turismo 5 is no a system seller anymore. PSN is not so strong enough and all their iP’s sell 4 million at MAX.”
    Last time I checked LBP1 and MGS4 sold more than 4 million.
    And GT5? 7 million, and it’s still selling, GT always had long legs.

“Sorry Playstation fanboys. I know Sony make great games like Uncharted or The Last guardian, but Sony need to make money too you know?”
    They do, they are making profit on everything they sell atm.

“Microsoft have a better position then Sony with third parties”
    That’s not true, why would you think that? Because of the early DLC or early XBLA release? That’s not the power of friendship, but the power of money, also Sony still has an overall better position with 3rd party because of the Japanese market and EA.

“Ninty with first parties (Old school games)… Sony… Everything in the middle. something fantastic, something not so much…”
    Did you forget that Sony has the most developers from “the big 3″?
    I think they are the strongest on that, not that the Nintendo devs create great games (because they do)

The thing is, MS had a lot of luck this gen, they could establish themselves in this industry because of the failures from Sony, but believe me, next gen they won’t have as much luck.

10. Erthazus

““Microsoft have a STRONG software development”
    And so does Sony.”

Where? They don’t make software much.
    PSN is bad compared to XBL or STEAM. I’m sorry. There is nothing to argue about and for all Sony devices they use Android or similar software.

So when they started to be good in software department? Since WHEN? It’s a technology company. Very good one, but it’s not good like Microsoft that make Software stuff.

“Last time I checked LBP1 and MGS4 sold more than 4 million.
    And GT5? 7 million, and it’s still selling, GT always had long legs”

MGS 4 is almost 5 million but it’s a Konami game. MGS: Rising is multiplatform now, so typical Xbox user don’t care for MGS 4. If he wanted that game much he would but PS3.
    LBP1 4 million + units
    GT 5 sales are good but it’s not a SYSTEM SELLER

“That’s not true, why would you think that?”

Because they sell more 3rd party SOFTWARE then Sony for now. Thats why.

11. Moonwalker1982

Put away your hate towards MS and Sony for a minute please. I ain’t a fanboy, i enjoy all the consoles and just as you i ‘hate’ fanboys. And sure while DS and Wii are innovative, the DS is a handheld, not a console.

And the Wii’s brings ZERO games for the hardcore public. That’s why they all go for 360 and PS3. I barely touch my Wii (only for SMG(2) and DKCR) and i use my 360 ALOT…and PS3 sometimes too. New ideas are cool, but where are the amazing games to back them up? I’m looking at you nintendo. I go for MS and Sony because i get amazing RPGs from great developers, or cool First person shooters(not talking about COD here) and so on.

I hope SO bad that Ninty’s new console will have amazing graphics and plenty of hardcore games for a change too. But sadly…i just don’t see that happening really.

12. OrbitMonkey

God I love these “wot konsole iz ta best?” (mast)debates. Wall of text, logic loops, fictional facts & unexpected rage. You’d think it’d get boring ^_^

13. Bond James Bond

Moonwalker1982
    19/03/11, 10:04 pm

And the Wii’s brings ZERO games for the hardcore public.

Saying the Wii has no games for the hardcore just makes you sound like an naive prick.

Super Mario Galaxy
    Dead Space: Extraction
    A Boy and His Blob
    Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaro’s Treasure
    Little Kings Story
    Sin and Punishment : Successor of the Skies
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars

And the list goes on…The Wii has great games, no doubt. Saying otherwise just makes you look silly!

“Hardcore”…oh dear.

14. Aimless

Nothing says “innovation” like re-released GameCube games.

15. Gekidami

^ Apart from maybe SNES games, but with 3D models instead of 2D sprites.

16. Bond James Bond

You couldn’t associate the word “innovation” with either the 360 or PS3, that’s for sure. At least Nintendo have the balls to put out something different.

Just like 360/PS3 games are better looking PS2/Xbox games.

17. Crysis

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    Dead Space: Extraction
    A Boy and His Blob
    Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaro’s Treasure
    Little Kings Story
    Sin and Punishment : Successor of the Skies
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars”

*Snore*

18. Crysis

“Nintendo are the only firm in the console market that is doing anything innovative as we’ve seen with the Wii and DS”
    Name one thing innovative about the DS or Wii, the Wiimote is just a pointer & they’ve been used in arcades with light guns for decades, touchscreens have been in PDAs for nearly 2 decades, so what exactly has Nintendo done that is innovative in the past 10 years?

19. DeathJynx

Clearly! There is only one way to settle this dispute. The current king of social media, always has the final say as to what it popular. So… oh magic facebook gods…. which is the fairest system of them all… xbox 7.6 million fans. Playstation 10.4 million fans… …lol

20. Zurtech

Ugh, Fanboys. Funny thing is fanboys are the largest anti-advert for companies.

That aside tho, the industry needs competition with one another. There are different audiences to cater for and different markets to gain. Each of the three console manufacturers won’t want any of the competition to become the next Sega. The industry has choice at present, and with each company putting out it’s own product the consumer has choice. This drives each company to better themselves so they can try to draw the purse strings of the next buyer and each MS, Sony and Nintendo have their own strengths and weaknesses.

So when a fanboy says they want the other two companies to crawl off and die, they’re basically saying they want the console industry to die. Without the competition games will get stagnant, there will be innovation and risks taken to experiment on new titles just won’t happen.

21. Crysis

@20, I assume you’ve never read any of BDH’s other comments? He DOES want the console industry to die & everybody migrate to PC..

22. gomersoul

why do people keep saying psn is a poor service!? it’s fantastic and i’ll be honest, the fact they don’t charge for such a service is paramount to the long term plan of it’s fanbase, i’ll be buying sony next gen because they don’t rip you off! the sony machine keeps on giving, the rest just don’t…

23. Zurtech

@Crysis

I just find anyone who purposely only plays on one system console or PC silly tbh. They miss out on so much. ^_^

24. Crysis

@Zurtech,
    I agree, right now I’m enjoying RTS games on my PC like Dawn of War 2: Retribution & it’s prequel, Soulstorm then at other time I go onto my console to play sandbox games like GTA, Saints Row & Assassins Creed because I prefer the console experience for these kind of games but I also enjoy the experience of AAA exclusives like Killzone, Uncharted & Resistance.

But I have no need for either a Wii or 360, I enjoy Halo Reach but it’s not worth paying for Live & the only Nintendo franchise I genuinely like, Pokemon, only appears on Nintendo’s portable console unless you count spin-offs.

25. Aimless

@16 I was just ribbing you after that straw-clutching list; the Wii has loads of good games but lists are never the answer. Personally I don’t think innovation is as important as your original post makes out, as demonstrated by Nintendo themselves who have loved to iterate and rehash to both critical and commercial success.

That said to claim the HD consoles aren’t innovative is very disingenuous. Whether you like them or not Achievements have changed the entire face of gaming, new forms of online play are giving people experiences they’ve never had before, and the relative hardware constraints of the consoles — when compared to a modern PC — are a real driving force behind the advancement of games technology.

Nintendo certainly do their bit when it comes to expanding the gaming market and encouraging new ways of thinking, but at the same time there’s boundaries they simply aren’t interested in pushing: as per a few days ago we see their dismissal of ‘garage’ developers, and the company has always seen videogames as toys which limits the directions they’re willing to push the medium as a whole. Nintendo are a great company and a great developer, but if they were all there was gaming would be nowhere near as a rich and interesting a field as it is today.

26. Kalain

@Zurtech and Crysis

I’m sorry. I play on the PC exclusivly because the games I like only appear on the PC, or the PC version is the superior version. There is, currently, nothing on any of the consoles that interests me.

I was looking forward to playing GT5, so I went out and got a PS3. I’ve played it for several hours (40+) and now I will never touch it again as it is nothing like I was expecting. Just so much of the game feels rushed despite it’s horrific development length. This has really put me off the PS3 (along with playing several other games such as inFamours and uncharted), that I’m considering selling the PS3. My Son, who plays on his 360, is considering selling that because nothing new is coming out for it and he is moving more and more towards PC gaming.

So, saying people are silly because they play on one platform is entirely your opinion but to me, and probably several other people, its fine and dandy.

Now, to the topic at hand..

MS is in a far better place than Sony and Nintendo because of their indie dev scene. There are far more people making games for the 360 than the PS3 because the dev tools are free, whilst you have to pay to get the dev tools for the PS3. These small indie dev studios will be the blockbusters of the future (even though they might get sucked into a bigger dev house/publisher).

I’ve never seen Sony go out of their way to help people program for the PS3 and get it onto PSN where as MS has. Sony, with all of their first party studios, are shooting themselves in the foot as always. Without a decent set of 3rd party/indie studios they will have to rely on these 1ts party studios for games whilst the 3rd party studios move to a more friendly environment, ala, Microsoft.

So the guy is correct, MS are in a much better position than Sony and Nintendo will ever be thanks to their encouragement of indie/3rd party devs.

27. Crysis

After the recent moves by Sony, with the likes of cloud saving & their close ties with Google with the likes of PlayStation Suite, Sony should be just as prepared as Microsoft for the future.
    All those problems #26 mentioned are because of the Cell’s architecture, it’s just different from the traditional architecture but it doesn’t even close to the same demand so it’s obvious that it won’t receive the same support.
    For me, graphics don’t come first, it’s all about the experience & while graphics obviously add to that experience, I’d still rather play most genres of games on console.

28. Zurtech

I think ye missed my point, I was talkin to Crysis about fanboys. I highly doubt ye fall into that category given ye went out and bought a PS3 to play GT5. That shows you’re interested in what other systems have to offer and the lack of comments like “[insert company name here] can go die horribly and leave the proper games to [insert company name here]“, just re-enforces that. -_^

I do agree with the article tho that MS are in a better position, but I think they’re focusing too much on Kinect at the moment and as such risk loosing hardcore gamers to PC and PS3.

29. Kalain

Fair enough.. It was early for me to post on a sunday, but I see your point about the fanboys.

30. OlderGamer

My gut tells me that Nintendo is going to fair very well next round. I feel they will offer a stronger online focus. I feel they will court jp 3rd parties(look for alot of cross promotions between 3DS and Nintendos next hardware). Look for a continued shift to expand the gaming demographic, that favors Nintendo. Look for a reduction on Motion controler dependancy. Look for a steady decline in FPS games. I don’t care how big coD is now, its bubble will burst, Acti is king at over saturating the market.

I really think Nintendos current gen strategy will carry them into the front next gen. Cost effective games and hardware. I think they will continue to dominate.

As for Sony and XB360. I bet their new systems continue to blur the lines between PC and console. Their steaps forward will likly have more to do with how their games are delivered rather then how they look or play. Both will move forward with expanded digital delivery. Both will ofer strong online focused gameplay.

It wouldn’t suprise me to see both systems offering a TV service that rivals current cable(in both selection and price points). It wouldn’t suprise me to see MS team up with Valve and offer a Console like Steam service.

I think services, not games difine MS and Sony in the next gen. Where as Gaming will define Nintendo.

Who is in the best position, strongest? I would say MS. I wonder how/if the recent disaster in JP will effect the JP games market going forward. that could impact both Sony and Nintendo. Time will tell.

31. Crysis

I just see Nintendo playing catch up with the next gen, but their main selling point focused on yet another gimmick I personally couldn’t care less about, but of course the console will sell incredibly well because of their franchises’ popularity & their targeted demographic being much larger than the hardcore gamers that MS & Sony are heavily focused on.

32. IL DUCE

@1 Yeah I totally see Sony everywhere in the mobile market…NOT…the Xperia Play will probably flop

Nintendo hasn’t been doings shit for years besides everyone and their mom’s buying a Wii since it was so “innovative” when it first came out, but that initial wonder has worn off and unless they come out with an HD console soon they are in trouble, portable wise they are fine though because every kid plays Pokemon on his/her DS non-stop

Personally, I’ve had a 360 since late 2006 and I love it and they are doing almost everything right besides opening up their online policy a bit more so that they can actually have MMOs on there but besides that it’s definitely my preferred console. However, I recently bought a PS3 and it’s cool, can’t really complain, I’m not a huge fan of their controller but I like the interface and Playstation Home is very cool and the Blu-ray player doesn’t hurt. I think Sony is in a decent position, and while X Box may have the upper hand right now in the console market I don’t think Sony is in trouble.

Edit: Also, Microsoft is in control at the moment in the motion control market because I know plenty of people that were enamored with the whole “you are the controller” marketing and went out and got 360′s just for Kinect, which has sold 10 million units since it launched in November as of last week

33. Kuwabara

you are stupid erthazus. Man/child u make me laugh so hard and anger me. Firstly ur a xbot, and rather than bash the ps3, go and buy a fucking xbox 360! seeing how the xbox is superior in your eyes. Also sell ur ps3 to someone who deserves it and will appreciate it. Now u mention xbox 360 having better software development.. LOLOLOLOLOL!! Have u been living under a rock? the ps3 has better exclusives, more better looking games, a range of diverse exclusives and a list of exclusives coming out this year that has put the xbox 360 to shame. Where are the fucking software from microsoft??!! The only thing you get is the milking of the halo franchise and the long wait for the next gears! Allll the software is going to kinect right now, good use of softare development being put to use, lol. Microsoft is the worst company of the three. The past issues if the red ring of death, charging to play online, poor first party offerings, less and less exclusives as each year comes..If it wasn’t for xbox live the system would be dead.

34. DeathJynx

@26 wow hahaha. That second to last paragraph is the dumbest thing I have ever read hahaha. Sony invests a ridicukously large amount of time helpin both third and first party developers get started, optimize there games, promote inter communication between developers in its family to make games better… the list goes one. Their most helpful development studio in their arsenal is easily Naughty dog. Naughty dog has released Playstation Edge tools. Which is code to better utilize and optimize the performance on the cpu. They started the ICE department to continue helping other developers…

@19, holy shit! Genius post. So genius it must be true.

35. DeathJynx

@26 and as far as dev cost and dev tools. It cost $1200 for a debug ps3 and they offer a free graphics engine. With loads of tools and the engine has a proven track record in the store. Not to mention psn allows devs to keep more profit. Which is stupid sense xbla is a paid service for the consumer end.

36. DaMan

I think someone is talking out of his rear end

37. Kalain

@DeathJynx

Since i know several people in the gaming industry, from programmers to projects managers to head of QA (who was the Head of QA at Sony Liverpool), whom I talk to whenever I can and they have all said that Sony is the most unhelpful out of the all console manufacturers. Unless they are on their list of ‘Devs’, then you can get limited help from them with a rather nice cost attached to it.

MS on the other hand encourages the programmers of the future, people like my Son who is 14. He can’t afford the PS3 dev unit, listed at £800 in the UK, but he can afford the C# compiler from MS for a 15 minute wait whilst it downloads and installs. He also gets help from MS with any issues he comes up, along with a huge forum of people who make games for the 360. Where is that support from Sony? There isn’t any.

Sure, you can get the tools from the WWS Tech group, but they are useless unless you have the Dev Unit with which you can see what you have done.

Sony do not go out of their way to help those who want to start programming for the PS3 unless they can afford their help. SO, from this point alone, MS are in a much better position than Sony.

Also, why comment on yourself saying it was a Genius post? That act just makes you look stupid

38. OrbitMonkey

I swear VG247 have a stack of these “some guy reckons some platform is the best” stories, that they throw out during weekends to keep the trolls happy. Works too ;)

39. Kuwabara

But seriously, who gives a fuck. At the end of the day, us gamers main priority is the GAMES, and currently, sony ps3 is the console producing the best exclusives and best looking CONSOLE games, with an exclusives list far better than microsoft xbox 360. So who gives a fuck what the ea ex guy thinks.

40. Bond James Bond

#31Crysis
    20/03/11, 12:53 pm
    I just see Nintendo playing catch up with the next gen,

Wow, you’re so out of touch with the videogames industry. Seriously, i think you should head back to gamefaqs.

I only denote my point with your reply in your 17th post above.

You’re a fuck-wit and you know it!

41. theevilaires

SONY: PS2,PSP,PS3,MOVE,NGP

Nintendo: DSi,DSiXL,Wii,3DS

M$: XBOX360,Kinect

Hmmm so whats this guy’s point again? M$ has two over priced cheap unreliable machines on the market…..its not rocket science people. When they’re juggling 4 to 5 different hardware products like SONY and Nintendo then talk shit please….we all seen what happened to the ZUNE :D