3DS is Amazon UK’s most pre-ordered console of all time

Thursday, 17th March 2011 12:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Amazon UK has confirmed that 3DS is now the retailer’s most pre-ordered console of all time overtaking a previous record held by PS3.

The retailer says that the handheld has seen 20 percent more pre-orders than PS3 had by its March 07 launch date, and 56 percent more than Wii, which was the last most pre-ordered Nintendo console for Amazon.

It’s also beaten pre-orders held by any other DS models, with it being 255 percent more than DSi.

3DS has also appeared on the top ten bestsellers chart for the retailer, with five 3DS title all in the top 20 Hot Future Releases.

“It’s unusual for a handheld console to attract this amount of excitement in the run up to launch, such high levels of interest are normally reserved for the play-at-home hardware like the ground-breaking Nintendo Wii and last year’s Microsoft Kinect,” said Amazon UK’s director of video games, Chris Poad.

“Nintendo 3DS is launching at a time when interest in all things 3D is incredibly high and with the promise of real 3D graphics without glasses, it’s a real breakthrough in handheld video game entertainment.”

3DS launches next Friday in Europe and on March 27 in the US.

1. typeface

Should come as no surprise. Amazon is aggressively pricing the 3DS so that everyone who’s interested would buy from Amazon. I do feel sorry for the tiny indie retailers though. 187 at Amazon is likely to push most sales over there. Pretty sure the others will have it lower thanks to this.

Unusual my foot, I mean really if someone now prices it say 185, Amazon will pricematch. This is aggressive marketing. I’m not really complaining since it means we get a decent price as a consumer. But unusual? Right.

2. Lounds

I doubt this will happen with NGP, even though I want one!!!!!

3. Everywhere

This story suggests to me that there will all but certainly be more demand than supply available at Amazon UK – even for pre-orders.

If you did pre-order with Amazon UK, I strongly recommend you email them asking for a reply that clearly states that they will definitely 100% send you your N3DS on the day of release.

At least that way, when it all goes horribly wrong (like with the Wii) you’ll be in a strong position to grind out a ‘good will gesture voucher’!

4. xino

we shall see how the NGP price fairs!

people saying NGP would pwn 3DS better start packing up their words.

5. nikk900

To be fair the 3DS should be about £150-£160 but everyone’s jacking up the price. I’m glad amazon are selling it cheaper than most, hopefuly more will follow.
    Not that I really care much, as I wont be getting one. We have one where I work (gamestation) and although it is impressive how it looks, the 3d novelty wears off quick.

I played pilot wings, which looked good but wasn’t a great game in it’s self and street fighter, which wasn’t that great in 3d and I played some demo where you have to scan cards with the camera and that was actually quite amazing.

It does look really messed up if you don’t look dead on, and can hurt your eyes after a while. Overall, it was good but I don’t think 3d is enough to upgrade from an older ds. Just my thoughts.

6. viralshag

@ #5

Tesco has already dropped below £200, I could see the price dropping a little further to about £180 before the end of the year. In my opinion, I think that would be a pretty fair price for it.

I agree with everything you said about the 3D and the AR Card games. I found myself losing the 3D focus very quickly just looking from the bottom screen to the top and it can get a bit annoying. From what I played, the AR Card games definitely stick out as the best thing about it for me.

I’m not a big handheld gamer though, so I doubt I will be picking this or the NGP up.

7. Deacon