SCEA doesn’t think it “makes sense,” to do away with standard game controllers

Wednesday, 16th March 2011 15:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony doesn’t plan on ditching a standard controller any time soon, according to SCEA’s Dr. Richard Marks.

“I don’t think it makes sense,” he told Gamasutra regarding the possibility of Sony going full-on motion controlled like Wii. Marks believes the traditional gamepad is still needed, but at the same time, motion controllers are less-intimidating to some audiences.

“I said that pretty much from the beginning that we’re not trying to get rid of the gamepad,” said Marks. “The gamepad is a really good abstract device. It can map to so many different things. It doesn’t map one-to-one to those things, but it doesn’t need to for a lot of game experiences.

“[The traditional controller] is still intimidating to some audiences, some people, and so, those people might like Move better. So, I think having both offered to [different] kinds of people that want to play is the right choice right now. I think the DualShock, it’s just better for some experiences, but the Move is better for other ones.”

As far as Kinect was concerned, Marks said he is supportive of any innovation hitting the market, but he thinks camera tech has a ways to go before it can offer what a standard controller does.

“You need a lot more fidelity [in camera technology] to get the kind of control that you can already get out of the gamepad or Move even,” he said. “I think to do some of the more subtle things, it’s just not possible right now. And I think it might be a ways off because buttons are very exact.

“They know exactly what the person intends, they push a button or they don’t. And that’s a tough one to replace with some kind of other gesture.”

You can read the full feature with Marks through Gamasutra.

1. RockTwist

They’re right, it doesn’t.

2. Crysis

I think the PS4 controller should keep the same button layout, but completely redesign the entire base, something much more ergonomic & with sticks that finally feel nice, I found the previous sticks to drastically suffer from wear & tear & become sticky very quickly, the secondary shoulder buttons (triggers) need the biggest change though, the current design pinches & the previous ones fall out of place.

3. ManuOtaku

I think the PS4 controller, will be the same as the ps3, and for that matter the ps2, and for that matter the ps1.

#2 you mean like the 360 but with the joystiqs rearranged on the same level as of the ones ps3, and without the rounded colour buttons?

P.D What did ever happen to the bumerang/batarang controller setup they had for the ps3 prototype, i dig that one ****shrugs****

4. Dannybuoy

Good. Long live the control pad! I wonder if the next Sony pad will feature a touch panel on the back or front like the NGP…

5. Crysis

@3… Kind of, but I still don’t like the triggers (too thin so it causes pressure on a certain part of my finger) or the sticks (too small for my thumbs)on the 360 gamepad, the sides next to the battery also place my fingers in awkward positions.

6. ManuOtaku

#5, well i do like the triggers, i like them better than the ps3 triggers, but i agree with the battery place though, but for me the best triggers were those on the dreamcast controllers.

7. itsucks

pretentious fake “doctor” is pretentious.

8. Lounds

I want a controller that doubles up as a Hunting weapon like PS3 consept model

9. Crysis

Define doctor then, you childish & pathetic troll.

10. lexph3re

Hey I’m happy he can atleast use some sort of big words. Who’s a good boy!? Who’s a GOoD BOyyyyyy!? Yeah your are no go back to class I hear you had a spelling bee coming up! We’re all cheering for you to take first place!

11. FredEffinChopin

@ Richard Marks
    Amen brother

12. Erthazus

Ps4 need to have a sharpshooter at the start of the package so Sony can close it’s division.

I hope so.

13. The1stMJC

I have been using the PlayStation controller for so long that I would hate if they changed it. It just feels natural at this point and I always have problems going to the 360 controller because of that i just don’t like the shape of the 360 controller.

14. KAP

As long as ps4 has a head set bundled with every console 99% of us will be more then happy.. Make it happen SCE.

15. itsucks

#9 butthurt phonybot is butthurt. eat crow that kinect served on your ass. go on.

16. mojo

i would like to see 2 pad variations for ps4 (or even for ps3). More and more ppl complain about the small size of the pads giving them pain in the hands after hours of gaming. I guess they need to adress this.
    What they should keep is the layout, especialy of the analog sticks. the symmetric arrangement of them makes it easier to be precise in coordinated movement and aiming, contrary to the 360 pad. maybe its my love for the beauty of symmetry but that 360 arrangement is a nogo.
    they should ad a r4 and l4 button (think middle finger/triggers on the backside). for ergonomic purpose they should swap the sticks positions with the dpad and face buttons.
    and before someone yells: idc for the look. form follows function.