Rockstar didn’t enter Red Dead Redemption for the BAFTAs

Wednesday, 16th March 2011 23:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Multi-award winner Red Dead Redemption was conspicuously absent from tonight’s BAFTA Awards ceremony, because Rockstar didn’t see fit to enter it.

“We don’t have the right to automatically enter a videogame,” BAFTA chief operation officer Kevin Price told Eurogamer TV (via Games Industry).

“We encourage the publishers and developers to enter. We’re not happy that Rockstar games isn’t in the longlist this year, but the simple answer is it wasn’t entered”.

BAFTA requires publishers and developers to make a physical submission in order to be considered for the awards’ long and shortlists.

There are around 300 BAFTA members from the games industry, which the organisation is hoping to boost into a similar figure as its film and television arms, which boats around 5000 members.

1. nikk900

Wow, just lost some respect for rockstar, if they really didn’t enter for that reason, that is just petty. Funny thing is, they could of won the game of the year in my opinion.

2. xino

maybe it links to Rockstar paying people to make their game GOTY and all.

and they knew RDR would not stand a chance in Bafta!

3. Gama_888

@1 are u fucking crazy?
    I applaud rockstar for this, hoo-rah. The game baftas are a fucking joke.
    i agree with rockstar aswell, GTA should have swept the nominations, but w.e.

My real hate for the baftas is how cod4 beat Gta4 in the nomination for best story and character
    That, in the words of didier drogba, is a fucking disgrace
    Correct me if im wrong but didn’t cod4 feature someone surviving a nuke?

While Gta4 had me sat in the road for 10 mins making a decision on weather or not to work for dimitri.

4. YoungZer0

We all know ME2 wouldn’t have had a chance against RDR. That coming from a ME Fan.

5. M. K.

@4: Personal opinion:

I enjoyed ME2 from the start until the end, three times :)

Just had one playthrough on RDR and it was boring as hell after crossing the border. Sold it right after seeing the ending :D

That’s why such awards should be done by communities and not by a few random people.*

*(I don’t really know how the BAFTA awards work, I’m just talking in general)

6. YoungZer0

@5: Played ME2 once. Was very satisfied with my ending, no reason to go back. Not curious of what would be different if i choose option X/Y. RDR had great music, real fun gameplay, a big open world to explore.

7. FredEffinChopin

“GI’s sources are whispering that Rockstar blackballed BAFTA after Grand Theft Auto IV failed to score any awards at the 2009 ceremony.”

Consumers should blackball Rockstar for deciding to participate in that farce known as the SPike VGAs while ignoring BAFTA. I feel them, as I believe GTAIV was a monster deserving of recognition, but that’s the way it goes. Grow up and deal with it.

… Or take your ball and go home. Have it your way I guess.

8. M. K.

Not at all? Hell that thin was bugging me all the time. I just had to play through it as a bad and good guy and then just play how I’d like to. Very different stuff came out, which was really fun to see :)

The only thing RDR had for me to offer was hunting and collecting trash :(

/e: still, have to agree with you, great music, atmosphere and improved gta4 gameplay :)

9. FredEffinChopin

Agreed, on all three points.

10. Razor

GTA4 didn’t really deserve any awards though…certainly not big ones.

11. Gama_888

@7, yep, take your ball and go home

Its not like they lost out on anything, RDR still sold shedloads, got good review scores and people and enjoyed it.

Why would they want an award which they do not value, for work that has already been praised by millions?

@Razor, Pffftt, im at a loss for words.
    why do you think that? :)

12. FredEffinChopin

Well, that’s the thing about awards, they aren’t always going to go the way you want them to as a potential nominee. Most people are gracious about it and move on. It’s not that they necessarily lose out on anything in the short-term by not participating, but it definitely makes them look like big babies, that is if the reason really is that they didn’t win in the past.

Like Kanye. Nothing happened to him in the short-term, but over time with all the shows of ego building up…. Most people think he’s kind of an overgrown baby and an asshole.

13. YoungZer0

@8: Nope, everytime i tried this the differences were too little or i caught myself caring to much for my decision to really change it. No matter how i play the game i end up doing the same things again.

Part of my personality i guess. If i want to do it wrong i listen to my brother. “I didn’t like jack, she was crazy. Left me. Other one died. This dude also died.” I’m like: “What the fuck? How did you manage that? I didn’t lose anyone.” He’s so incredibly incompetent when it comes to empathy.

You know what would be great? If they gave me choice in RDR. But they didn’t.

@12: Doesn’t stop them from buying his album though.

14. Gama_888

fair enough about the awards not going their way, but look at the example i gave earlier about cod4 winning.
    if i was any developer/publisher i would see that and deem the rewards redundant.

just having a look down the winners list now
    GT5 lost out to F1 2010? Really?

15. tenthousandgothsonacid

@3 no, the whole point was they didn’t survive the nuke

And there’s quite a few of us that thought gta4 was a massive disappointment from both a technical (ps3 at least) and enjoyment ( I.e. No fucking fun) point of view.

16. mojo

cod 4 took a award for best story?
    but not in this universe i hope?
    thats ridiculous

17. Lounds

@3 You played 2 soldiers and the American one is the one you play who dies after a nuclear explosion, it was really cool.

18. Lounds

GTA4 was no where near as fun as the older GTA’s, and the PS3 version was really blurry, why make a 1080p game if its gonna look blurry, id rather have 720p with better textures anyday.

19. SwiftRanger

“That’s why such awards should be done by communities and not by a few random people”

Then CoD would win every time, people in general are stupid/don’t have good taste.

20. nikk900

To be fair GTA4 was over-hyped and over-rated, it didn’t deserve any awards. Even the older gta games were better. Rockstar just come off as douche bags by not entering, as if they are now above the BAFTAs.