UK charts: Dragon Age II grabs number one from Pokemon

Monday, 14th March 2011 09:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

BioWare RPG Dragon Age II has taken the reins of the number one spot from Pokemon White in this week’s UK charts.

After DAII and White comes Fight Night Champion. Pokemon Black and Just Dance 2 round off the top five.

On a sales ratio, Chart-Track’s told Eurogamer that 360 ruled the roost with 57 percent of the total sales for the game. PS3 sales managed to just beat PC by 22 percent to 21 respectively.

Download sales for PC aren’t counted by Chart-Track, including from Steam.

Top ten for the week ending March 12 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Dragon Age II (BioWare, EA)
  2. Pokemon White (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  3. Fight Night Champion (EA Sports, EA)
  4. Pokemon Black (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  5. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  6. Bulletstorm (People Can Fly/Epic Games, EA)
  7. Killzone 3 (Guerrilla Games, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  8. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Treyarch, Activision)
  10. uDraw (THQ, THQ)

1. Maximum Payne

Dragon Age 2 is good game,maybe not like Origins but still good rpg.

2. Johnny Cullen

I started playing it last night. Basically, I like it more than I did with Origins.

3. YoungZer0

@2: Give it some time. You’ll realize how fast the combat becomes shallow, how stupid the preview dialogs are, how bullshit the story is, how none of your actions have meaningful impact, etc.

4. Dralen

I’m really enjoying it. It’s very different to Origins but the combat is fun and the story is just epic. I’m already on my second playthrough :P.

5. nikk900

I’m really enjoying the story, and I think a lot of your actions actually do have consequences with future quest and people who you meet/don’t meet.

I don’t like the companions as much as origins though. Merril and Fenris are my favourites but they aint no Alistair and Morrigan.

6. YoungZer0

@5: Oh really? You’re enjoying the story? Did you finish the game? It goes nowhere.

7. Maximum Payne

If the game is easy to you set to Hard or Nightmare…problem solved.

8. Erthazus

haha, yeah… GREAT story. Great for console players who started playing RPG games yesterday.

The story: Go to three locations speak with the Qun, fight with them in the same location and you are almost done. (Because some idiot in your party have stolen a book from them)
    Characters also in most cases cliche at best. Maybe Varrik and Fenris is something, everyone else is dumbed down compared to Originals.
    thats your adventure with your shitty mini quests where the only consequences are: Kill, destroy and … murder and your adventure is in Kirkwall at best and maybe some 4 locations in the mountains with 2 random from quests.

Combat is also for console players. Fast paced piece of hack and slash MMO style of gameplay.
    No wonder this game sells better on consoles. Everything that is actionary and stupid sells there much better. I’m not trying to offend someone here, i’m just saying how i see it with my own eyes.

This game is one of the worst Bioware games. Last really great game from them was KOTOR and the best one is Neverwinter Nights 1 and Baldurs Gate 2.

and of course the obvious: http://img716.imageshack.us/i/1299754913574.jpg/

9. Crysis

I played the demo & was really disappointed, am I the only one who doesn’t like Bioware’s RPGs?

10. Erthazus

@9, i don’t like them now. For reasons.

but you should play the old ones. Old ones are great or masterpieces.
    It’s just when they started to work at EA, everything just went in to the ground.

From stupid ideas and MMORPG’s that clone World Of warcraft to shitty cliche stuff like Mass Effect 2 or dragon Age 2

11. Shonak

I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 a lot, probably even more than Origins but it’s weird to say, because DA:O was great too, it just was in many things too long, for example the Deep Roads. DA2 goes in a different direction and honestly, all I did the last days was playing it. The epilogue sucks though.

I think Baldurs Gate 2 is a masterpiece too, but maybe it’s just like that old thinking of “earlier was everything better”. I sure don’t have this memory to NWN1, combat was awful there and even the story was boring. KotOR is for sure one of the best Bioware games ever, and I am really afraid that Old Republic will suck. We’ll see, I guess. And although I thought ME2 and DA2 are great, I must say that I don’t really like their approach to games since they are working for EA… hm.

12. Erthazus

“earlier was everything better”

No it’s not that. It’s obvious that games are just better. Like KOTOR. they are just better.

” NWN1, combat was awful there and even the story was boring.”

It’s not because of story. it’s because of NWN toolset and multiplayer where you could create your own adventure or play it in other servers.

13. Shonak

That’s true, the NWN toolset was amazing – I don’t know how young I was but I really made a few nice levels with a dull storyline about Sarevok. :D

14. Phoenixblight

I beaten the game and now I am on my second playthrough. Its a fantastic game everything is much better than the original. I can’t honestly think of what the original did that was better than the sequel and this coming from a guy that has played it on both the 360 and the PC. I have 8 playthroughs on the game 5 on the console and 3 on the PC.

15. Patrick Garratt

@14 – You played through DA:O eight times?

16. Erthazus

“Erth, We get it you don’t like the Sequel and you prefer the older games but I am sorry that shit has gone away and will never return. If you prefer those games than keep playing in the past.”

Nope. That shit is not gone away. Witcher 2 is awaiting me :D

“I have 8 playthroughs on the game 5 on the console and 3 on the PC.”

how is this even possible? My first playthrough was 65 hours.

17. Joe Anderson

Completed DAII after 35 hours play through, awesome game, the ending is a bit full on.

18. Phoenixblight

“how is this even possible? My first playthrough was 65 hours.”

Your point? Not everyone plays a game just like you.

“Nope. That shit is not gone away. Witcher 2 is awaiting me ”

Yeah barely any info on the game other than the developers saying that the sequel is based on the idea that its going to the console, you know the platform you hate.

And Witcher is not exactly a game that holds a torch to older games, its as streamlined as games that our coming out this year. As they say Hope in one hand, shit another and see which one fills up first.

19. Erthazus

“the sequel is based on the idea that its going to the console, you know the platform you hate.”

I don’t hate them

+ there are a lot of information about the gameplay and the world

“And Witcher is not exactly a game that holds a torch to older games”

holds. first game was amazing.

20. Zurtech

This month’s GamesTM has an interview with Tomasz Gop, senior producer of Withcher 2, he says:

“We didn’t deliberately have consoles in mind when developing The Witcher 2. In terms of features of the game, we just wanted to simplify things. It’s true that the first Witcher in many aspects had too higher accessibility threshold.”

“We won’t have to redo them should The Witcher 2 on consoles happen – the interface for example. You can play this game on a gamepad – It’s possible. It’s already working, if you do a game then you start thinking about consoles you have to rewrite the whole interface.”

Perhaps Witcher 2 is following the DA2 approach, trying to widen the audience to as many as possible.

21. Phoenixblight

Thank you Zurtech for proving my point.

Thats subjective, I hated the game you had a predetermined character,talent system was as linear as Dragon Age Origins, then you had a great amount of fetch and deliver quests infact I would say more than 2/3rds of the game was fetch and deliver.

22. hitnrun

I wouldn’t mind DA on its own merits so much if there wasn’t so much marketing allusion to the glory days of Bioware. We’re constantly told about how this is supposed to remind us of Baldur’s Gate. Bullshit. It’s the “spiritual successor” to whatever Bioware’s last game was. You can’t even zoom halfway to aggro/missile range, even on the PC. The story is once again a bunch of people staring blankly past the camera, oblivious to the coat of gore that was funny for the first half hour of DA:O. The only thing to recommend the characters is that none of them say “Waterdhavian creatures” 82 times.

23. Phoenixblight

Bioware only said that Dragon AGe Origins was supposed to be tribute to BG, they have said many times in the forum that this not to be the case for the entire series.

24. MushroomStamp

I’m going to throw my hat in the DA2 is better than DA:O ring. Definitely like the combat 100% better and the pacing of everything seems faster. I am enjoying the story and subtle nuances such as people/quests respond differently based on who is in your party. A couple of times I went back to old saves and changed my party members to see what would happen and I got access to different thing. So for me, I’m enjoying this story and pacing much better.

I only have 2 complaints. lotta loading/waiting that breaks the immersion and pacing but this was the same with DA:O. The other complaint is WTF is up with all the homo shit. I have had to turn down 3 love affairs with guys without even trying to pursue anything and I can’t seem to get any of the chicks in the game to give it up. Why so heavy handed with the homosexual content??? I think it’s good that they have choice, but it’s so lopsided it seems like they want to force you to be gay. At one point, the gay templar guy in darktown kept pursuing me and finally asked “am I making you uncomfortable”. Which at first was funny, but I answered affirmative and I was penalized with rivalry points. So it gives the feeling of forcing it on you.

25. YoungZer0

I just want a game with the depth of DA:O and the combat and visual style of DA2, is that too much to ask?

26. Phoenixblight

I can only think of two instances where there was anything remotely to “forcing” you and thats the Templar as you mentioned and the Elf in the whore house which is to be expected.

As far as the allies go, no one has come out with flirtations come out except Isabella but thats her character. If you pick the Heart icon which stand for Flirting then yeah they will come on to you. Most of the romances are bisexual so it doesn’t matter on your preference.

Yes it is. Thats why DAO looked so bland because they were spending their resources on giving the game length instead of the eye candy. Its why most of Bathesda games are short in the story development but they give loads and loads of areas to explore. I have yet to see a game that does both.

27. YoungZer0

@26: I wasn’t really talking about that only. But also about choices and dialogs.

28. Phoenixblight

In DAO they gave the illusion of more choices in dialogue but really all the choices resulted in 2-3 resolutions. They consolodated that with the dialog system in DA2, If you played DAO as much as I have you would see that the game gave the illusion of more choices but thats all it was. There was no real depth in that system.

29. YoungZer0

@28: But at least i’d have the decision to say what i want. I could even tell people to leave my team. No such freedom in DA2.

30. Phoenixblight

You can choose not to recruit the characters and there are a couple instances where you tell some of the party members to leave. Whether you don’t use them or tell them to go away the result is the same imo.

31. YoungZer0

@30: Can i tell Isabela to piss off? Or not join my squad? Her betrayal really annoyed me.

32. Phoenixblight

Yes you do actually get to tell her to piss off its right at ACT 2.

33. YoungZer0

@32: Will try. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Qunari will still attack the city, does it?

34. Phoenixblight

Nope they still attack. You know the Qunari they are fickle.

35. MushroomStamp

@31 thanx for that betrayal spoiler :( I’ve only reached the part where I paid my 50 gold and now in different area :( Isabela WAS the one that I was hoping for a romance with… sigh.. guess I’ll just remove her from my party.. she was my prefered thief.

36. Erthazus

@35, relax, that cliche character will go back to the party again.

37. YoungZer0

@34: Sitting 3 years on their lazy asses and then suddenly decide to wage war.

@35: There is a quest where you get the chance to visit the fade again, take her with you, the fade really shows what kind of person she is.

38. Erthazus

“Bathesda games are short in the story development but they give loads and loads of areas to explore. I have yet to see a game that does both.”

you never played Morrowind? I’m sorry. but there was a decent story and decent dialogs compared to Oblivion.

@Mushroom,

“I’m going to throw my hat in the DA2 is better than DA:O ring. Definitely like the combat 100% better and the pacing of everything seems faster.”

Thats why we get dumbed down everything. Less depth, dialogs, story.. but more ACTION
    Hey dude, you should play more shooters.

39. YoungZer0

@38: Rofl, no Morrowind’s story sucked hard balls. And shut up. It’s not because of consoles and bullshit like that the game got dumbed down. EA pushed the release. One and a half year is really not enough time to develop a proper RPG. I don’t see any reason why we can’t have a decent Combat-System, depth and good dialogs. The Combat in DA:O was horribly boring. So far the only Fantasy RPG that has a decent Combat System is the Witcher. Could never get tired of it.

40. Phoenixblight

You miss the point of Game industry, it is a commercial entity where the entire point is to make as much money as possible and the way to do that is to broaden your appeal which if you have been paying attention every game does this, every sequel does this (even Witcher 2 is doing this). If the main gripes were slow animation and turn based attacks guess what the developer does? Thats right they remove that. When games were at their “best” their point was to maintain the fans they do have not to broaden their appeal. Now since Gaming is as popular as movies, big published games will go for how many people can we get. If you want you niche games go for the independent developers. You won’t find it with Bathesda, EA, Activision, THQ games.

41. Erthazus

“no Morrowind’s story sucked hard balls”

your opinion Only. I liked it. sure it’s not the best, but for the open world it was decent with good dialogs.

” The Combat in DA:O was horribly boring”

Maybe it was slow, but it had more tactics then in this one. Here it’s even more dumbed down battle system. It’s like i’m playing MMORPG and pressing 1,2,3,4,5 to kill guys in one hit.

42. NeoSquall

@28 You really don’t need to finish the game to understand that.

43. Phoenixblight

Its the same freaking system. You are just grabbing at straws. Play it on Nightmare and lets see if mashing feels “like i’m playing MMORPG and pressing 1,2,3,4,5 to kill guys in one hit.” Really i am starting to think you are basing your opinion on playing the game on Casual. I have played it hard and now on Nightmare and you can’t get away without micromanaging your characters. they even put in Cross combo attack which was not in DAO and they encourages you to use tactics especially on Nightmare. We get it you don’t like Dragon AGe 2 but to make false claims like that is moronic.

44. MushroomStamp

@38 I don’t feel it’s dumbed down, just easier access to what to do during a fight. I also don’t feel the story is any less than DA:O. In fact its one of the reasons I have put in 18 hours and just got to Act II. I am very thorough in my conversations and searching (100% all side quests / stories before moving on). The story seems pretty good to me and no less depth. I honestly don’t know how they could make the story “better”. I’m enjoying it.

p.s. I don’t really play shooters much anymore. That all stopped with MW2, after that, all military shooters are the same to me, so I don’t bother. *really want Gears 3 :)

45. MushroomStamp

no idea what that double posted.

46. RockTwist

Not strictly Dragon Age 2 related but:

47. Zurtech

Hahaha. ^_^

48. Erthazus

” “like i’m playing MMORPG and pressing 1,2,3,4,5 to kill guys in one hit.” Really i am starting to think you are basing your opinion on playing the game on Casual”

you need me to show you achievement that i finished the game on hard difficulty? I never play on normal or casual difficulty. NEVER. Casual and normal these days is cheap as fuck.

I tried Nightmare. The only thing that is hard are bosses. Everything else is easy. you just need to look out for your AOE.

And in DAO 1 you could not finish guys in one hit and there was no stupid respawn so yeah, COMBAT SUCKS ASS!

49. Ireland Michael

@38 I love Morrowind, and sit very strongly in the “It’s a better game than Oblivion” camp, but I’m sorry… Morrowind’s story sucked. The game was great, but the story was far from its strong point.

Oblivion’s story on the other hand, had to be one of the most generic pieces of crap I’ve ever played in an RPG. There’s almost nothing in it that connects to the world in any meaningful manner. At least Fallout had characters and people you remembered and felt some sort of connection with.

Any, congrats to both Pokemon and Dragon Age 2 on their unsurprising chart positions. I’m interchanging between the two of them at the moment, and I’m enjoying them both immensely.

Not even going to waste my time with the DA:O vs. DA2 debate. Most of the arguments on the subject in this thread are little more than fanboy waffling.

@48 “you need me to show you achievement that i finished the game on hard difficulty?”

There is no achievement in Dragon Age 2 for finishing the game on hard.

50. bpcgos

I’ve never played DA2 yet, but from RPS WIT (here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/14/wit-the-opening-hours-of-dragon-age-ii/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29) for its first eight hours,its seems like its very ‘empty’ from the story viewpoint.
    Meanwhile, I’d love DA:O combat although I have to died many times because of it. For example, when saving the village (near Arl Eamons castle)from the undead attack, I’ve died many times because of fight them directly. Then I realised that I can lure them to the narrow bridge on top of the village and use morrigan lightning cone to give necessary first strike and traps to their groups before attacking directly with my tanker (alistair and the wardog, I’ve played as dalish elf archer).
    Its tactical, slow, and difficult maybe, but rewarding in the end. I will be very dissapointed if BIOWARE change it for the sake of console or simplicity reasons. Mass Effect are enough for me, BIOWARE!

51. Phoenixblight

Thank you for proving my point that you never played the game because there is no achievement for beating it on hard or even Nightmare, and there wasn’t any in DAO either Noob. You would know this if you played the actual game.

52. Ireland Michael

@51 I think Erth just owned himself.

53. Phoenixblight

He usually does. He is his own worst enemy.