Chair calls iPad 2 a “game changer,” which allowed it to “crank up” Infinity Blade’s looks

Saturday, 12th March 2011 21:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

iPad 2 launched in the US yesterday, and according to Chair Entertainment, the device is “a game-changer.”

That’s what Eurogamer was told byChair’s creative director Donald Mustard.

“They’ve significantly increased the processing power of the iPad 2 and also added a lot more memory,” he said. “Now having 512 megs of memory, the new processing power and increased screen resolution allows us to throw so much more processing at the applications.

“With Infinity Blade we felt we were really pushing at the edge of what can be done. We think this is another leap. It’s significant.”

An update to the firm’s Infinity Blade launched alongside the device yesterday as well, and Mustard said it’s textures has been “cranked up,” along with “super, super hi-res bump maps and specular maps to all the characters.” The firm even turned on full-screen anti-aliasing, promising that it will run “butter-smooth at 30 frames per second.”

“Infinity Blade really opened our eyes not just to the market place on iOS but really what could be done with these devices,” added Mustard. “So I think we’ll definitely be supporting the iOS and the more mobile platforms for the foreseeable future.”

Mustard also said that Chair is also working on other projects at the moment, and that it is not “platform agnostic,” meaning to expect more titles for systems outside of iOS.

iPad 2 hits the UK the same day as 3DS – March 25.

1. frostquake

iPad 2 prices, US

AT&T and Verizon are the same with WiFi and 3G:
    16GB: $629.00 plus monthly fee’s
    32GB: $729.00 plus monthly fee’s
    64GB: $829.00 plus monthly fee’s

Yeah it is a “Game Changer”, more like “Game Rip Off”. Might be great for Developers, but for consumers it is a Black Hole for your Wallet!! HUGE PASS on my part…You Apple Babies..enjoy!!

2. Crysis

Android!!!

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

Someone is super jelous of Ipad’s 2 super smooth interface, heck simple web browser is way smoother over Android. Jealous trolls are jealous.. You jelly?

4. Mark Rein

Just to be clear monthly fees are 100% OPTIONAL

iPad 2 starts at US$499 for the wifi-only model.

In addition if you buy a wifi+3G model you don’t have to pay monthly charges. You can sign up and cancel 3G service whenever you want without a contract – you simply pay with a credit card. In addition the AT&T model is an unlocked 3G world model so you could, for example, bring it to the UK, get a Sim card from a UK vendor, like O2, and pay as you go for 3G service in the UK. I did that last year with my original iPad.

5. Crysis

@3, Nothing to do with jealousy, I don’t like Apple, so I naturally support the competition, not that I like the competition either (I don’t care if it’s Google, Microsoft or Sony, they’re all the same to me), but I’ve used the iPhone 3GS, 4 & the iPad & I honestly feel Android is the better platform.
    Honestly my comment was just bait to see if there’s any Apple fanboys here to defend their pride, not that I care but I’m bored :(
    But in the end, it all comes down to whoever I hate the least.

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

Sad troll is sad, aww. You Sad?
    haha why hate? i use to hate apple, but then i realized they are priced as same as competition. And all things that Android does Apple does too, heck even google search via TALK and GOOGLE EYES (or googles whatever the name is) is on Apple as well. Apple is always smoother in everyitng it does. After Android being for so long in the market they still cant fix stupid jerky web browsing, heck XOOM suppose to be best of the best and its not as smooth as Ipad 1 even. I do not think android is a better platform. Everyone says Android give you more freedom to do whatever u like, but 95% of android users never use full potential of it so whats the point? Its like buying a 5,000 dollar DSLR just for taking facebook self photos. Not many ppl even hack their androids for full that customibality, because its pointless. its not a computer, it suppose to be a easy way to grab and go for multimedia and social media.

7. Crysis

I hate Apple because of their guidelines, hypocrisy & ideas of the future. Steve Jobs is also a total tool, he acts as if he were god & whatever he does is right & everyone else is wrong.

8. frostquake

@ 4 True…Though most Console gamers wouldn’t even know what you are talking about with such massively confusing terms as, “unlocked, Sim card” and such, LOL. Most home gamers just want to “plug and play”, or in the case of hand-held gaming, stick it in and play

I like the way “developers” are trying to convince the “mass” gaming community that the iPad 2 is a “game changer” Hmmm, could it be to do with something along the lines of the developers getting a bigger cut of the pie??? Just maybe!! Most Apple babies can’t see past that self inflated ego that rushes out the hermetically sealed box and up into their brains as they open a new Apple product! To be truly successful as a GAMING platform, they have got to get past this Elite God Complex and overpriced China made products, and make it a “everybody” product like the rest of the consoles, that is why the Wii blew up sales, they showed Grandpa bowling in the Retirement Home!!

Are other products made the same way?? Sure, but Apple for some reason wants to pretend that their products are made on Virgin Gossamer Wings of Baby Tarsiers! Wired, March 2011 Issue has a great article on it..1 Million Workers, 90 Million iPhones, 17 Suicides…something I am Sure Steve Jobs does not show on his Big Screen!

I will also say that Apple Support is HORRIBLE, and I have dealt with this from personal experience on many times. Out of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and Apple….Apple IMO, has the most HORRENDOUS customer service, and I have dealt multiple times with all 4. Yes, they are all pretty bad, but Apple, in my experiences with all of them, was simply HORRIBLE, now I am sure everyone will tell you someone else, but Apple does not have my confidence at all, and since they are the most expensive for me, I won’t take that leap again for a very long time, I don’t trust them!

On Top of that, I want a Gaming Console or Handheld to last longer then a year!! Say an iPad comes out once a year at $500 a year! Well then compare that to a $500 PS3 that will last 10 years!

Hmmm…$500 for one console for 10 years or $5000 for iPads that are released every year for 10 years…Sorry you have got to look at the cycle as well, Apple has a very strong computer mentality, of release something new every year, your average household will never go for that!!

9. Gekidami

M’eah… I’ll keep my gaming on dedicated devices that are cheaper/round the same price but will last more then a year before a new one comes out.

Thanks, but no thanks.

10. Crysis

@8, Good well reasoned post, but the bottom paragraph is questionable, you can go onto 24 (or in some cases 12) month plans paying something like $40-70 per month, get the phone for free then once the plan runs out you can simply upgrade & continue paying the same price. On the more expensive plans in Aus, the phones are offered for free with no extra monthly or no outright cost(we don’t normally have to pay an upfront price for a phone on a contract, instead NORMALLY the monthly price is raised a little depending on the plan, if it’s a cheap phone on a low cap it’ll be free), depending on the phone’s value that is.

11. HauntaVirus

Too BLOODY expensive!!!

12. Kalain

The ipad2 is what the Ipad should’ve been. Apple know exactly what they are doing and milking their little followers for every penny.

In the UK, you have to pay an additional premium just to get 3G access on the ipad and ipad2, just like with the iphone.

Actually, developers aren’t getting a bigger piece of the ‘Apple’ pie. Apple have forced a flat 30% tax on anything that is bought through the app store and anything that uses the app store for subscriptions. Basically, they are shafting the small developer who needs the cash to keep running. I’ve read about several companies who are moving over to android development from iOs because it’s cheaper to put stuff on the market.

I think a new shift is coming, and apple with their overpriced rubbish will be forced to rethink their ‘Apple’ tax before long.

13. Erthazus

@Nox,
    “i use to hate apple, but then i bought it’s product and i need to justify it at some forum that it is cool”

Fixed.

I’m sorry. If you are sheep, then go get some. Apple is only waiting for hese types of consumers that love something SHINY.

“but 95% of android users never use full potential of it so whats the point?”

Statistics please.

” Apple is always smoother in everyitng it does.”

Yeah, thats why some shitty apps went aspeshit with the first iPad so in the second they picked a dual core processor.

I’m sorry. Apple latest iOS is outdated compared to the latest Android Honeycomb. If you think otherwise. Please delete yourself from the internet, everyone will feel better.

14. Crysis

@Erth, huh, we actually see eye to eye on something, no company has given us a real reason to get any tablet, right now they’re either over sized smart phones or weak PCs, when they’re more powerful & intuitive I can see them replacing notebooks, right now using a touch screen on Windows 7 feels like a chore.

15. frostquake

@ 10….You are correct on the Phones, I am assuming, that iPad will release an updated iPad every 12-18 months. I also assume that it will be much like Computer gaming where you will have to have the latest in upgraded Tech for the next big game to work. Say Call of Duty: Cow Wranglers works on iPad 2, but in a year if you want to play Call of Duty: Cow Wranglers 2, you will have to have an iPad 3.

So you may actually have to buy a New iPad every year at $500 to get the next big game to work.

16. 2plus2equals5

If apple wants to make a console make a console with proper input, also what’s the use of all this power for angry bird like app?

17. Erthazus

@16, they already made a console.

18. 2plus2equals5

@17:ugly! :|
    I would have to specify it, but I wanted to say a handheld.

19. Hunam

I remember reading about a stick/pad/buttons enclosures when the ipod was first announced, it was like a case that snapped on so you could game with traditional controls, but it seemed to disappear shortly after.

20. DaMan

@12 shafting, or perhaps more like filtering out the crap, there’s more than enough of those on the store. perhaps they just don’t want it to become the mess that is android’s marketplace.

also, android had this disastrous policy where you can return the app after trying it for a day and get the refund. thanks to that, most actually moved from the google’s marketplace to selling content on their own sites. if google still didn’t drop it, then their store will continue to be full of free trash.

21. Kalain

I don’t consider 30% a ‘Crap’ Filter. I call it greed on Apples part.

Google’s policy is a good one. They added it because of various laws in countries about consumer law. Apple, on the other hand, if you buy an App that doesn’t work on your phone/pad/whatever, then you can’t ask for a refund. I know, i’ve tried to do it with my old works Iphone and I lost £5 because the app only worked on an Iphone 4 not an iphone 3G.

Now, this stance of Apple’s is to get money for nothing.

22. DaMan

follow with the argument please, you were saying how the 30% is damaging to the devs, the 24 hour refund policy is arguably worse.

they’re all greedy, why shouldn’t they be. iOS is practically akin to consoles, most should be happy they even allowed the marketplace for everyone.

also all you apple haters should stop playing on those pcs of yours, since they use the corporate evil called DirectX, surely OpenGL needs your help now more than ever. but that’s besides the point.

23. Kalain

24 hr policy is akin to the UK’s sales of good act. The apple policy is 30% no matter what, even if you could get a full refund from Apple, the developer still loses the 30%! The dev doesn’t get that refunded. So either way, the dev has to refund the full amount back to the buyer whilst apple still keeps 30%

So, which is worse, Dev loses sale or dev loses sale + 30%?

I do dislike apple for their practises and what they do to their customers. If you like apple, then power to you, but I wouldn’t buy a product from them due to the way you are treated by them, their support department and their constant cycle of yearly upgrades, along with stupidly high premium for buying something that is style over substance.

After having over 10 years of having to deal with Apple at a retail and professional level, I can conclude that they are far worse than MS, Sony and several other companies.

As for DX and OGL, DX came along and forced OGL to up their game as it was becoming stagnant, also there were so many different variations of OGL that you were not sure that the version you programmed for would work on someones machine. DX, whilst not being the greatest thing in the world, gives devs and hardware manufaturers a standard set of API’s to work with. OGL at the time did, but depended on what version you were running.

24. DaMan

retail releases is another thing, they aren’t enjoyable when beaten that fast. people were buying games from the marketplace, played it for a day and return for a refund, then proceeding to have fun with the next one.

you get a complaint here and there, but you get thousands of customers abusing the 24 hour refund. also, if your app doesn’t run on the older models, you can always specify that. apple even dropped the support for pre 3gs iphones themselves.

I like their products, as well as their dev platform, I don’t like anyone =p.

no, DirectX came along and it kept being largely inferior for almost a decade. then they finally catched up, and it’s killing the open standard now. the fragmentation issue, really? consider Android, with all the various screen sizes and firmware versions. it’s totally going to be as with J2ME in the past.

25. DeathJynx

Ill take an ngp ANYDAY over this over priced garbage.

26. Kalain

And thats different from buy a game at a shop, beating it within 24 hours, then taking it back for a refund? Exactly the same premise with Android Market. The App store, if you could get a refund on an app, still keeps the 30%, so the dev has to refund the full amount for the app and STILL loses the 30% to apple. How is that better than Andriod Market?

Devs can specify what version of ios it runs on, but they don’t have to. Apple dont govern this. If you buy an app from itunes and it doesn’t run on your iphone, its your fault, apparently.

Sorry, I meant for the DX to be DX9. I agree previous versions were not that good, but DX9 changed the game for all concerned. Thats the version which made OGL stand up and realise they were standing still and need to just have one version. Now OGL is playing catch up with DX, but since it’s open source, it’s taking a long time as people can’t decide on what is to be its standard. Its not DX killing open source, it’s the people within open source community which is doing it. Look at open office, development has almost halted thanks to people having different ideas on what they want in it.

I’m not denying that android is going to have issues with different firmware from different vendors, it’s to be expected. Screen sizes don’t matter in all honesty. Yeah. the J2ME and Java in general is a massive can worms best left closed! :D

As you like Apple, I don’t. I’m not a great fan of MS either, but they are the better of two evils in my book

27. Gekidami

24 hour refund? I’ve only brought one thing off the Android Market, and i had 10 minutes to get a refund…

28. freedoms_stain

The official refund time was changed to 15 minutes in January.

Anybody want to change their stance now?

29. DaMan

obviously the difference is that pocket games can be beaten faster, and generally can be played not through the end, you can easily play one for the whole day, and then go for another one. the big releases last longer, there’s little to zero point in playing Mass Effect for a day. people returning them because they don’t work are few and between, when people wanting to play games for free are everywhere.

Apple.. they try to govern the content as much as they can. read the pdf guidelines, they ban apps for using undocumented APIs for obvious reasons. it’s the fault of the publisher.

and, you know it yourself, it’s not like Google are doing this for the customers, happy buyers bring more money and help the platform.

er, doesn’t matter. the ‘guys within open source community’ can’t compete with the ones from MS who are more serious about it anyway, noone really gives a crap, btw J2ME was also run into the ground because noone cared that much.

screen sizes don’t make your life easier if you use the raster graphics. and besides the 3d performance on smaller ones can be better than on the devices with bigger displays, same as it was with the Java phones.

I dunno Kalain, I don’t really mind their attitude. I only think of what use will their products be, they’re all the same.

like I said, geki, that’s how it was. up at least until last year. maybe they dropped it since there were craploads of massive complaints from all devs, from Gameloft to the indies. maybe they tweaked the thing now, I don’t follow Google much since early 10.