Xbox 360 poised to outsell Wii by the end of March, says analyst

Friday, 11th March 2011 15:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Analyst Doug Creutz believes Xbox 360 is poised to outsell Wii in the US, based on unit sales during the past 11 months.

Per Creutz’s industry note released after last night’s NPDs, the Cowan and Company analyst is of the opinion that for the first time in this console cycle, Microsoft will outsell the Wii during the period of March 2010 to March 2011.

“This illustrates the significant shift that has gone on over the last year in the console space,” said Creutz. “The Wii was outselling the 360 and PlayStation 3 combined on a trailing twelve months (TTM) basis as recently as January 2010, and was outselling the 360 alone by 2:1 on a TTM basis in December 2009 and 1.5:1 in October 2010.

“Over the last three years, TTM total US Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/Wii hardware unit sales have remained relatively consistent in the 17-19 million unit range (18.2 million as of February), so this does represent a share shift as opposed to just a decline for the Wii.

“We believe the significant shift in hardware sales towards HD consoles is a positive ongoing development for the US publishers, who earn the majority of their sales on the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3.”

After the NPDs were released last night, Microsoft responded stating that February 2011 was the largest “non-holiday month,” for the firm to date and saw the console move 535,000 units.

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. Ge0force

I don’t like the invasion of casual gamers and families on the HD-consoles. Since they outnumber experienced gamers, lotsa core games are gonna be nerfed even more than they already are.

2. 52pickup

I’m all for market expansion and catering to non-core gaming crowds,but what I do find distasteful is the fact that quick-buck cash-ins which require hardly any investment or development time (Dance Central,Just Dance etc) outsell core games like Uncharted,which takes 2 years or more and require a lot of investment and very hard work from talented developers who try to appease core gamers they best they can and mostly deliver on that front only to be outsold by casual shovelware.

3. varsas

@2: I think you chose an incredibly bad example there with Dance Central from the guys behind Rock Band. Just Dance might well require far less development time than an Uncharted but it is a great fun and not one I’d call shovelware just as I wouldn’t call Singstar shovelware.

4. deathgaze

I have to kinda agree with #3. I wouldn’t call “Just Dance” shovelware… It’s a complete game, as such. I’d file it under “me too”.

I think as we move towards the next generation of consoles that a lot of developers will start to learn that the casual space is a great place to try to execute new ideas but not a great place to really push the envelope. Sure, games like Angry Birds and PixelJunk Shooter will always have their place and are surely great games, but (most) games like these don’t really advance gaming as an art form.

On the topic of the article, this comes as no surprise to me. I’ve always been dubious of claim that the PS3 would “win” this generation, and don’t get me wrong, it still could. However, despite having a technically weaker console, Microsoft seems to have a better strategy and it’s provably working. Sony doesn’t seem to know what it has and seems more intent on pushing the technology than advancing games.

PSHome is a prime example. It’s largely useless and I can’t think of a single person I know of who owns a PS3 who actually uses it. Sure, it’s a great proof-of-concept but falls flat as anything except a glorified chat application. It’s pretty clear to me that Sony is feeling around, trying to figure out what they can do without having any clear idea on how to move forward.

That’s not to say they won’t get their act together sooner or later, but my money’s on later.

5. OlderGamer

Never understood why so called core gamers are threatend by so called casual gamers. Every once in awhile games that sell the most under go a transformation. Once upon a time mascot centric platform games were the rage, once 2D shooters, now fps omp. It will change again.

It has to.

Not like CoD 17: True War is going to be coveted after 46 straight semi yearly versions.

The funny part to me is that Games like Pong, Pacman, tetris that drove the industry in its dawn weren’t exactly what you might think of as core games today.

Let me tell you it is like music, what you first hear and grow up with becomes the standard for which all other music gets compared to. To you. So if you grew up listening to alternitive(and I pitty you) or if you grew up thinking Disco was the bomb(again much pitty), your not going to understand the greatness of Led Zep or the Stones.

Games are like that. Games change, but they are still games. What will become the new trend(maybe so called casual games) may not be something you want to play. But you need to remember your just one person. Maybe even one demographic of people, but against the great whole, your a smaller piece of the pie.

I doubt the games we have now will go anywhere entirely. But I can not wait for the day when online shooters no longer dominate the sales charts.

6. ManuOtaku

Ok.. if we look at this months stats, the 360 sold 500.000+ consoles and the wii 400.000+ aprox., and if i can recall correctly this is the same difference in the precious month, i mean 100.000, therefore how it can surpass it?, if the difference is not that much and in december the wii always came on top, i dont know if iam doing the maths wrong here, but the numbers doesnt make it..at least not that way.

7. neon6