“Glitch” caused Dragon Age 2 player’s account to be banned for 72-hours

Friday, 11th March 2011 21:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A Dragon Age II player  had his EA account suspended for 72 -hours, causing him to be unable to play EA’s PC games. However, apparently it was just a glitch in the system that caused the entire account ban, according to EA.

Update: Per an update over on RPS, the naughty forum user received an email from EA’s senior director of customer support, Boyd Beasley, who told Arno that “inappropriate language” used by him was the reason he was suspended for 72 hours from the BioWare Social Network. However, a glitch caused his entire account to be banned.

“Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended your entire EA account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, we have restored the entire account and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused while accessing other areas of the EA service.”

So, Arno can go back to playing his game, he just can’t interact on the social network.

Original: Players need to have an online EA account to play the games, and being unruly over on BioWare’s official message got him banned by a moderator.

According to RPS (via BigDownload), forum poster “Arno” wrote a message on the BioWare message boards which stated: “Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?”

This didn’t go down well with the moderator, and now his account has been banned for a 72-hours.

A statement on the forums was released to Arno as to why he was banned: “It’s not like you get to pick and choose your own punishment when you break the rules. The various punishments, up to and including permanent bans, EA account termination, and loss of access to entitlements, is very clearly laid out and is part of the rules you agreed to follow and be governed by.

“You have been banned due to some inappropriate content posting on forums and we can not reveal it due to some security polices.”

EA told Shack three years that they would not allow forum bans to affect gameplay. Guess this was an exception.

Get more through the link.

1. Dralen

Haha! Gutted.

2. Stardog

EA are cunts.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 Because they banned someone who broke the rules?

Oh boo hoo, cry me a river.

4. DSB

Translation: “Read my lips, bitch: BOW TO YOUR OVERLORD.”

5. loki

Fuck you Bioware and EA

6. chipvideo

That is beyond pathetic IMO. HE paid for a game and because a mod had a tissy fit and banned him POSTING on a message board he is banned from paying his legally bought game. This is a new low.

7. Quasar

DA2 is a piece of shit
    thanx to EA faggots

8. Heinekeno

This is nothing compared to NCSoft(Aion) customer support and their even lousier explanations. Gamers were banned just because they sold to much crafted goods or were AFK for a short time.

9. Phoenixblight

The mods don’t ban without first warning them I have been on their forums for more than 4 years and they keep warning you until well until this and this not the first topic to bring up EA its been happening since they were bought by EA. You don’t play by their rules you get banned its as simple as that.

And of course none of the sites link to the original post so all we can do is go off a guys word that he is telling the truth. What do these sites have nothing better to then write about a guy who got banned and then they can’t source the original topic that the user SAID he got banned for. C’mon really? My professors would fail me if I attempted to write and not support my paper with facts.

10. Gekidami

“Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?”
    So you think thats worth a ban?
    The only people “crying” in this story are the over-sensitive mods.

11. Old MacDonald

3: Well…

Banning someone from the forum because they made an immature comment (one that’s made in the comments fields here approx. seven times a day) – well, that’s a bit harsh, but within what I would consider their right.

Banning someone from playing a game they’ve paid a lot of money for, because they made an immature comment in the forum, on the other hand. That’s not even remotely close to being okay. It’s just plain wrong.

12. Erthazus

Yeah, DAO 2 is a piece of shit.

No, i’m wrong, it’s the WORST Bioware game ever created and one of the worst RPG/Hack and slash games of all time.

It is even worse then Mass Effect 2. To be honest, i rather play 5 times Mass Effect 2 and puke, then playing that piece of shit.
    That guy was right. Bioware is not the same great studio that was before.

Just look at this: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/1299754913574.jpg/

13. DeathJynx

Bioware has kinda been disappointing since… forever.

14. DSB

I’m not sure I’d use Planescape as an example for that pic.

It’s apt and makes a real point, but really Planescapes dialogue was helplessly selfindulgent. There’s no way I’m going to enjoy reading 20 lines before I respond to someone.

It was the worst thing about the game in my opinion.

15. Phoenixblight

Looking at the topic the person who was banned agrees that he is wrong and that he did post vulgar remarks towards Bioware and other posters. So Bioware wasn’t wrong in banning him but the EULA is just a tad bit barbaric to stop people that are banned for playing a game, they bought. But the developers said that the EA forum department is different department and that they are looking into it but thats all they can do.

So moral of the story don’t get vulgar or offensive in a developers forum when you have registered the DLC or game, do it afterwards =-P

16. Erthazus

@DSB, it was a great thing actually in Planescape. The thing is, you have a lot of choices. Choice of your roleplaying character as much as possible.

17. DSB

EA Responds:

@16 In that case, you might want to read one of those books where you can go to a certain page and read on depending on the action you choose. Or play a pen and paper RPG. Walls of dead text isn’t what computer games are for. At least not for most gamers.

I think it played a huge part in the game failing.

18. RockTwist

Wow amazing news. No really, I really wanted to know about a guy who was banned from a forum for being a dick. Thanks.

Love the over reactions defending a guy nobody even knows, just because they have a bone to pick with Bioware over making a game they don’t like.

Edit: Harsh he got his games banned though, but am guessing that was an error… right? Gotta be I can’t believe even EA would want that PR.

19. Epic Fool

Guess the mod doesn’t like retorical questions…

20. Stardog

They retracted the ban. I like to think it was because of my negative comment that contributed to some bad PR.

21. YoungZer0

@17: No. Planescape Torment is fucking awesome.

22. RockTwist

@21 I agree, but then i’m a sucker for all RPG’s even the ones most find crap.

23. DSB

@21 Where did I say otherwise?

The fact that it was awesome still doesn’t make the ammount of text less absurd though.

24. YoungZer0

@23: Don’t care for the huge amount of text. It was well written and actually pushed my imagination forward.

25. DSB

@24 Well, good for you, bad for me.

It’s one of my top three favourite RPGs, and it has a proud spot in my GOG collection, but it was hard to enjoy the quality of the writing when it took so long to get through. The Fallouts had stories that were equally strange, but they only rarely went into walls of text to that extent.

Planescape may’ve been an RPG, but it was also a videogame. There’s a certain limit to how long you can leave people staring at inert text with no voices and virtually nothing happening.

If you enjoyed that, that’s great, but obviously a lot of people didn’t want to spend their time doing it. I thought it was worth it, but I ended up skipping through a lot of the dialogue because I couldn’t be arsed with it.

I would compare it with the slippery slope of adventure games. I imagine that DA:O will be considered the last of the greats. Now we’re stuck with lite versions, because the barrier to entry turned too many people off.

26. blackdreamhunk