DICE: “Our competitors are getting lazy”

Friday, 11th March 2011 14:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

In a rather serious criticism, DICE boss Karl Magnus-Trodesson has said the Swedish developer’s rivals are “getting lazy.”

“Our competitors are getting lazy,” he told OPM in its latest issue, no doubt a shout to Activision and Call of Duty.

“They’re using the same engine, the same recipe for building a game. At some point you need to take that leap. I haven’t seen them take that leap since a long time ago.

“We are doing that now. They had better watch out. We are coming for them.”

It comes as EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund said this morning upcoming shooter Battlefield 3 could have 256 players for the game’s multiplayer – most likely a nod to Sony’s MAG – but said it wouldn’t be fun.

Battlefield 3 releases this fall for PS3, 360 and PC. Read our impressions of it from GDC here.

Via CVG.

1. Gekidami

After the mess that was BC2, DICE are in no place to say this…

2. StolenGlory

Why? It was the same engine that was used across two games, not seven.

And also I think that calling BC2 a ‘mess’ might be a tad OTT?

3. Gekidami

Not really, the game clearly came out of the gates unfinished and untested. To put it bluntly; DICE were lazy.
    And lets not even go into the first BC…

And i didnt say he wasnt right, just that DICE in no way has the higher moral ground.

4. M. K.

Well Trodesson is really right, but Geki too…

5. Hunam

Geki has a weird thing about BC2. Which is fair enough I guess. It did get a bit wonky at times, but now it’s perfectly fine. Tis a great game.

6. Erthazus

“After the mess that was BC2, DICE are in no place to say this…”

Get out Call Of duty pants, fanboy. The game was great and finished except for minor bugs.

While MW2 had some pretty strange issues with balance. Black Ops is full of bugs.

Bad Company 2 did really well, not to mention about it’s new engine and the ability to have destruction on maps.
    and now it’s absolutely fine after patches. No bugs!

7. Erthazus

I’m interested to see whats next for Call Of Duty. I’m not sure that without Infinity ward original devs they can pull out something better.

DICE will deliver as always, they are working on FPS battlefield games since 2002. They know what to do with their style of gameplay.

8. freedoms_stain

Personally I love BC2, I have spent more hours on BC2 than any other shooter ever. Possibly even combined.

Does it have bugs? Yeah, some. Also, match making on consoles is a wee bit suspect. UK and Japanese players should never EVER be put on the same server, but it happens, leading to one side or the other becoming unkillable lag-powered super soldiers. But when it works, it works great and I love it.

9. Toastrules

Honestly, DICE does work extremely hard on their games, but games like BC2 were on a timed release by EA, which is one of the reasons that BC2 was… or at least *seemed* lazy.

DICE are a group of extremely talented developers, owned by an greedy publisher. Whoever’s worse, EA or Activision, that’s a different story, but the other problem is that EA is the one who owns the servers, not Activision. Those lag problems were caused by EA, DICE had nothing to do with them, except try to comfort the community. Another reason why the server browser system is so much better…, but consoles never get that.

10. Hunam

Getting an even game with dedicated servers is next to impossible really. Which is what really sucked about BC2 when one team will just annhiliate the other. CoD doesn’t attempt to match skill level either i’ve noticed.

Halo Reach on the other hand, if you search by skill level you’ll always get a game that is just one or two kills apart on the final score.

11. Lounds

BF1942 ftw

12. M. K.

`CoD doesn’t attempt to match skill level either i’ve noticed.`

Can’t confirm that. I’m on 14th prestige and since the higher ranks I always play against guys with golden weapons and all that last prestige stuff, even if I have some low ranks in my party.

13. Lounds

got bored of CoD, MW2 was mint though I was highly addicted to that but BO bored after 1 month of play, I was just like “same old shit”. It’s just like UT its always same shit.

14. HauntaVirus

I used to love CoD…kinda blows now. I tried to play a game of Black ops the other day and it looked like a ps2 game compared to KZ3 which I have been playing. I’m definitely looking forward to Battlefield 3.

15. DSB

Is the competition getting lazy or is DICE just getting arrogant? My money’s on the latter.

Like many others have said, BC2 was very far from a masterpiece, and the fact that they apparently don’t have any new ideas beyond “Let’s make buildings blow up”, says a lot about their level of ambition.

People shouldn’t grind for days to get a gun, they should be rewarded for sticking through a match although they’re losing, and allpowerful mage wizard medics who heal bulletwounds with a bit of electricity should really be curbed just a bit, and not outfitted with world destroying M60′s, sporting magical sniper precision.

That’s not mentioning the sloppy hitboxes and the spawncamping, which really shouldn’t happen in this day and age. #Planbetter.

Treyarch are the same thing, in my opinion. They’re far too conservative to take anything forward, and without Zampella and West, Infinity Ward are probably going down the same path. Still, MW2 tried to change things up, and in my opinion that was a huge leap forward.

Generally, when you have to resort to talking the competition down, it’s probably because you realize that the cards you’re holding just aren’t that good.

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I agree with Dice. I appreciate the COD games in each their own right and the work that does go into them, but they are cookie cutter and all look/play the same just different locations.

Can’t WAIT to experience new engine.

New engine = new experience.

17. Grimrita

BC2 was a mess. It was a lazy effort by a lazy developer. Clearly DICE feel that way after all incoming PR bullshit from them of late regarding the PC version.

Too many bugs, half baked expansion which is a shame. And for the record I am not a CoD fan boy – havent touched it, as its a shoddy pc port

18. scuz

Give me my challenging vehicles back and rid me of this horrid infantry gameplay.

19. guapo

I love COD!! Since modern warfare I’ve been a loyal fan and supporter. But lately I’m getting kinda bored. With games like Brink and BF3 on the horizon my fps of choice might have to change. Also bc2 rocks, minus the wookies :)

20. urbz2011

BF3 is my #1 must buy game of 2011.

21. OrbitMonkey

A few of my ps3 black ops buddies are creaming themselves over the bf3 graphics. Keep telling them the ps3 probably won’t look quite so mint :)

22. HauntaVirus

That’s a LARGE statement!

23. sickgamer

you go get them DICE !!!!!! fuck all haters :D

24. albo88

i got great hope for BF3 yeas baby

hey just for the news VG24/7 should make an article or something for the Japanese tragedy at the end of the day thus guys still the fathers of what we play to day
    god save them

25. ManuOtaku

As much is i like Battlefield games over Call of duty, i dont like this way of talking, at least till the new games come out, then you can talk all you want, because we can have a clear picture of what the game is really about, as is stands now, no one nows, can be a publicity stun /smart talk or the whole truth, but i guess we need to wait for Battlefield BC III, in order to know, if this words can be tested.

26. YoungZer0

@6: Yeah MW2 had some balancing issues, but at least not as horrible as the balance in BC2. I say that although i prefer playing BC2.

@15: Lets blow stuff up is more than just a gimmick. DICE actually managed to make it part of the gameplay, it’s awesome to know that no building is safe, no place to hide. I love that.

27. DSB

@26 Geeze, we really disagree a lot on game design.

I think it sucks that a wall getting hit by a 40mm grenade will kill you within an even greater range than if it hit the ground.

I like the fact that it affects cover, that part is interesting, but I got pretty tired of getting killed by exploding walls with no one actually aiming at me.

It would be a lot more awesome if it altered the cover instead of simply removing a preset chunk of a wall and inflicting a preset ammount of damage to everything behind it.

28. Nissanthen

Karl Magnus-Trodesson is absolutely right. I thoroughly enjoyed BFBC2. I bought Black Ops and played it for a few days and it started to get boring rather quickly, I then tossed it aside and went straight back to BFBC2.

I think that BF3 is going to be the best multiplayer experience of 2011.