Take-Two: GTA IV hits 20m, BioShock series at 8m

Thursday, 10th March 2011 09:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Take Two gave a full update on software sales numbers at the Wedbush Morgan Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference yesterday, confirming big figures for Rockstar and 2K franchises.

In a series of presentation slides, the publisher confirmed that Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto series has now sold 100 million units, with Grand Theft Auto IV selling 20 million units since its April 2008 launch.

A much-anticipated sequel is thought to be in development under the codename Rush.

Fellow Rockstar IPs Midnight Club and Max Payne have both sold 18 million and 7 million units respectively. For the latter, a much-delayed sequel is in the works at Rockstar Vancouver.

On the 2K side, T2 confirmed that the BioShock series has now sold 8 million units, with the first BioShock being one of the highest-rated games on MetaCritic for 360 and PS3 with 95.

A new title in the universe, Infinite, is in development at Irrational for release next year on PS3, 360 and PC.

Gearbox’s Borderlands has now sold 4 million units since it first released in 2009, with Take Two calling it a “franchise” yesterday. The game has been graced with several DLC episodes, which the publisher has called “successful.”

The Mafia series from 2K Czech has now sold 5 million units, while Civilization from Firaxis has sold over 10 million units.

Thanks, supererogatory.

1. blitz

No credit for @supererogatory? FOR SHAME :(

2. tenthousandgothsonacid

Yay 20million of us who discovered they’d sucked all the fun out of the franchise in return for gritty realism.

GTAV better be fun you fuckers or I’ll bang on about it endlessly on messageboards ! That’ll show you !!! ;)

3. Patrick Garratt

@1 – There.

4. Blerk

So glad to see Borderlands has done so well. Take that, Pachter! :-D

Sequel, please!

5. xxJPRACERxx

@2, GTA IV is the 1st GTA that I found fun to play. Sorry but I hope GTA V is like IV.

6. Nozz

GTAV can stay like GTAIV as long as Saints Row stays like San Andreas.

7. Dralen

I loved GTA IV as much as I loved the rest! 20 Mil is well deserved in my opinion.

8. Maximum Payne

@6 Agree

9. Bond James Bond

20 million fuck-wits bought GTA IV based on the name alone as it was an awful game…

I wish the GTA franchise would crawl into a corner and fucking die. GTA wasn’t good a decade ago, and certainly isn’t good now.

10. Lounds

Personally I loved Vice City, it was extremely “fun” to play and the city was easy to remember. San Andreas was too big and too much to do but did love the planes. GTA4 is ok for me doesn’t keep me wanting to play it, I owned it on PC first didn’t like the frame rates and controls, I now own it for ps3 (bought for £8 from CEX) and its controlls wayy better, but the graphic difference is hugely noticable, I mean i’d rather a ps3 game be at 720p with great visuals than at 1080p with blurry graphics, infamous is a great open world game with good ps3 graphics, I hope Rockstar learn to get most out of the ps3, LA Nior kinda looks hopeful.

11. spiderLAW

@9 I’m not sure that was called for. Its always negativity coming from you. Do you need someone to talk to?

Anyways, I don’t think the game deserves the sales really. It was massively over hyped for what it truly was. O well. None of us are truly in the right to say what games deserves what sales. I have to think though, that probably most of its sales were in the western part of the United States. I know people in California eat this shit up because it displays what gangsters and wannabe gangsters really want to be like. They act like the protagonist in these games is their Super Heroes.

12. Bond James Bond

I take it you were one of those 20 million fuck-wits…

13. DSB

I was pretty disappointed in GTA IV. It was a beautiful game, and mechanically it was head and shoulders above everything else, but the fact that it was basically a soap opera with gunplay felt a bit like spitting on the old games. Saints Row and Just Cause are just leagues ahead of it in terms of playing with the world and causing mayhem, like you would in the old GTAs.

And I think Mafia II did it better with combat and realism. There were the same hardon-killers, like the cops ruining your day, or useless plot devices that took away all your stuff, but I still felt more entertained.

Totally agree on Borderlands though. Such a simple game, but absolutely masterfully done. I just hope for better AI and some more engaging quests next time around, but as an FPS Diablo, it’s truly awesome.

14. spiderLAW

No, actually i wasnt. I didnt buy GTA4. It was given to me by a co-worker who didnt like it. Once i beat it, i sold it.

15. Lounds

GTAIV was boring comon, Vice City was where it was at, I also loved Vice city stories on psp