NPD February 2011 – 360 and Black Ops tops again

Thursday, 10th March 2011 23:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NPD has released its figures for the month of February 2011, and it finds hardware climbing and the top 10 software listings not changing all that much over January.

Xbox 360 Highlights

Xbox 360 sold 535,000 units in February.

February was biggest non-holiday month in the history of Xbox.

Top selling console for 11 months running.

Four of the top ten console titles were available on Xbox 360.

Total retail spend for 360 reached $475 million.

Hardware up 10 percent in February

Hardware sales were up 10 percent to $466.9 million with Xbox 360 the top selling console for the month, moving 535,000 units and making it “the biggest non-holiday month of console sales in the history of Xbox,” according to NPD.

For the second month in a row Xbox 360 was the number one console in the US, maintaining its lead as the top selling console for the year, and the eleventh month on top overall. The 250GB version bundled with Kinect was the biggest seller out of the various SKUs offered by Microsoft.

Xbox 360 console sales were up 27 percent year-over-year for the month, making it “the fastest growth of any current generation console on the market,” per NPD. Total retail spend for the platform including hardware, software and accessories reached $475 million.

During the month, four of the top ten console game titles were on Xbox 360 including: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Bulletstorm, and NBA 2K11.

Globally, Kinect continues to be a factor in the overall Xbox 360 momentum with Microsoft announcing yesterday it has sold 10 million units of Kinect and more than 10 million standalone Kinect games worldwide. Additionally, Kinect has been awarded by Guinness World Records as the fastest-selling consumer electronics device in a 60-day period.

Microsoft said in an industry letter that it “expects the momentum to continue throughout 2011 as Xbox 360 owners look forward to the arrival of Kinect-enabled Netflix and Hulu Plus, Avatar Kinect as well as a diverse catalog of new games.”

Nintendo responded to the NPD figures tonight noting that Wii moved over 454,000 units for the month of February, which is up over 14 percent yoy, thus pushing the console over the 35 million sold mark in the US “faster than any other console in US history.”

According to NPD, each console saw a sales increase over February 2010 as well as an increase in sales over January.

Regarding the figures for February, SCEA’s senior director of corporate communications, Patrick Seybold, stated: “February numbers illustrate continued growth of the entire PlayStation 3 ecosystem, including increases in hardware, software and peripheral sales.

“PlayStation’s exclusive titles, combined with stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, continue to resonate with consumers, and we look forward to furthering the momentum with MotorStorm Apocalypse and SOCOM 4 next month.”

Analysts revealed later that PS3 moved 403,000 units for the month.

Nintendo News

Wii hits 35 million console milestone in the US.

Moves 454,000 Wii units in February.

Four software offerings hit multi-million sales milestone.

Software down 5 percent, Black Ops wins again

Software sales declined 5 percent to $601.4 million for the month yoy with $633.6 million reported during the same period in 2010.

For the month, Black Ops retained the coveted spot on top of the list, making it the “best-selling game of all time in the US,” according to NPD and bringing the US sales total to 13.7 million units since it released on November 9. Broken down, that means the title moved approximately 3.9 million units each month for the past three and a half months on offer.

Debuts for the reporting period of January 30-February 26 saw Marvel vs Capcom 3 hitting second place while Bulletstorm debuted in seventh and Killzone 3 in eighth. It must be noted that the later two titles were both out for less than a week during NPD’s reporting period.

Dead Space 2 remained on the chart along with NBA 2K11, and Zumba Fitness. Ubisoft’s two dance offerings stayed on the list in February as well, claiming the third and ninth slots with Just Dance and Michael Jackson: The Experience, respectively. Nintendo noted in its NPD response that Just Dance sold over 554,000 units for the month.

Nintendo also noted that in February, Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii crossed the 2 million mark while New Super Mario Bros. Wii, crossed the 8 million sales mark.

On the portable side, Pokémon SoulSilver on DS crossed the 2 million sales mark in February, while the New Super Mario Bros. game, which launched in May 2006, passed the 9 million sales milestone.

The full top ten for software for February 2011 is below:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3/360/Wii/DS/PC)
  2. Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (PS3/Xbox 360) – 790,000 units per Doug Creutz
  3. Just Dance (Wii) – over 554,000 per Nintendo
  4. NBA 2K11 (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/PS2/PC)
  5. Dead Space 2 (PS3/360/PC)
  6. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (PS3/360/Wii)
  7. Bulletstorm (PC/PS3/Xbox 360) – 279,000 units per Doug Creutz
  8. Killzone 3 (PS3)
  9. Michael Jackson: The Experience (Wii/DS/PSP)
  10. Mario Sports Mix (Wii)

February 2011 Overall

Total retail: $1.36 billion – up 3 percent.

Hardware: $466.9 million – up 10 percent.

Total software: $637.4 million – down 8 percent.

Non-PC software: $601.4 million – down 4 percent.

Accessories: $256.9 million – up 22 percent.

MSP cards move accessories up 22 percent

It seems consumers were ready to spend money again, as total industry sales were up 3 percent to $1.36 billion for the month.

Accessories saw the largest growth again in February with a 22 percent climb to $256.9 million, which can partially be attributed to Kinect and Move sales.

“This is the 18th consecutive month of double-digit increases in both dollars and units for PS3 accessory sales, and the sixth consecutive month of double-digit increases in both dollars and units for the 360,” said NPD analyst Anita Frazier in her industry note.

Frazier also said sales of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 points cards, particularly the 1600 points offering, were up 55 percent and represented 22 percent of the accessory market overall.

1. Gama_888

Bin a long day hasnt it?
    3 Pages back, kicked it off with sleeping primary school and ended it with. Black Ops, DAMTHATGAME :p

Looking forward to the morning news tomorrow guys!

also first time iv used the edit button, niceee

2. daytripper

very impressive numbers for xbox 360, wii is doing alright aswell, cant find the numbers for sony but i think they would of done well too, about 390-400k.

3. a7md1990

where iz ps3?

4. bpcgos

Enjoy it while you can,acti! Just wait for this franchise being shutdown like the rest of its compatriot!

5. Blerk

Aren’t these kind of crazy numbers for February? What triggered the sudden surge in sales?

6. Blerk

Not exactly ‘great’ results for Bulletstorm and Killzone, there.

7. Gadzooks!

I really hope Bulletstorm goes on to make at least enough sales to profit. I can see positive word of mouth keeping it selling for a while yet.

It stands out as a fantasically fun and very polished game in a sea of drab buggy shooters, and PCF/Epic need to be funded and free to be able to make more craziness like this!

8. ManuOtaku

@7 gadzooks amen brother….and i feel your pain, this same thing happened with little king story and zack and wikki on wii, great games that didnt sold well, and now we dont have the second iterantions, well at least i did my part i bought them, and bullerstorm too of course, on the 360 for being an epic game, so my part is done..what are you waiting people go buy bulletstorm.

9. ManuOtaku

wow the competition is really neck and neck, good for everybody, including us gamers.

10. Gadzooks!

@ManuOtaku

I never got around to playing little king story but Zack and Wiki I thought was fantastic. It was clever and charming and polished and I’d love a sequel – on any platform.

11. OlderGamer

Not to troll but doesn’t this just show Wii>xb360>PS3, lest in the grand scheme of things – overall. Salewise of course.

Right now I am ready to toss my xb360 out the window myself, if not for Tourchlight I wouldn’t be playing it at all. But it just that I keep reading how the PS3 is poised to over take. It did well in JP last month. But seems a long ways away from being the number one system.

Not that any of that really matters. But after the thing about PS3 numbers a week or so ago, it just makes me wonder if Sony doing some fancy PR trickery?

12. M. K.

I do not really care about the sales itself. I just want to see a nice competetion :) I doubt that Sony is ever going to be on top again, the times changed.

13. Ireland Michael

Is it the year of the PlayStation yet?

14. Lounds

I’m a PC gamer, but was a loyal PS fan for years and have only just bought a PS3 and I love it, I will say this much the online community isn’t as fun or easy to communicate with compared to pc/xbox due to the lack of people with headsets, but apart from that PS3 has some awesome games, i’m hooked on Infamous atm, KZ3 was good but prefered KZ2.

15. Gadzooks!

@OG

Dont forget this is NPD – US only which is PS3s weakest region. Wii still leads by a country mile worldwide but EMEA and JP figures even things out a bit between PS3 and 360.

16. OlderGamer

Good point Gadz. But doesn’t the shear size and scale of the NA market eclipse the other two? Meaning that strong sales in the US carry the system across all three major markets(NA, EU, and Asia)? I mean the xb360 doesn’t even sell in JP, it might as well not even be out there.

Not to sound like a concieted American(we have enough of those to last us a Nucler Winter already), but asking if the NPD numbers are a good indicator of overall sales?

Because in my mind unless NA markets falls apart for the xb360 and people rush to the stores to buy PS3, the status quo won’t change. Wii>xb360>PS3. I think it might even out between xb360 and PS3 down the road. But everytime we see a NPD report like this one, it throws some shadow of doubt on that. At the very least we are still a long ways away from the decline in xb360 sales.

17. Stephany Nunneley

I have added MvC3 figures in there as well as ones for Bulletstorm. And the fact Black Ops has now sold over 13.7 million copies in the US since launch.

18. Psychotext

@15 / 16: Worldwide PS3 & 360 sales are pretty much identical at the moment. Within a few 10s of thousands at most. If the guy in this story is to be believed, that’ll soon be higher than the Wii: http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/11/xbox-360-poised-to-outsell-wii-by-the-end-of-march-says-analyst/

19. hitnrun

It’s worth noting that English speaking countries track mostly with the US, not Europe. There are occasional significant differences of course – Madden vs FIFA, etc – but the numbers are roughly analogous between anglophone countries.

20. Gekidami

Seeing as the 360 outsells the PS3 month after month in the US, yet on a yearly worldwide scale the PS3 outsells the 360; No, the US market doesnt eclipse the other 2.

21. OlderGamer

Gek

But don’t undervalue the NA market either.

xb360 sells in NA, EU.

PS3 sells in NA, EU, and Asia

xb360(NA + EU) > PS3(NA + EU – Asia)

My point being is that w/o JP those PS3 numbers would be staggeringly different. XB360 does what it does selling in only two regions. There for making, in my mind, the weight of NA market far more significant.

JP doesn’t won’t buy an western dev’d system. Period. We buy PS and Ninetndo systems this gen, and have bought Sega ones in past. I feel that this fact skews the numbers game. It is less an excuse simply more of an observation.

What JP does doesn’t influence what NA/EU does. And Vica Versa. It is becoming more and more true all of the time. JP has been steadily isolating itself gamewise for a few years now. I feel that in doing this they have hurt western sales(ironicly) of PS3 systems. Because so much of JPs top talent is focused on handheld experiences, they fail to drive PS3 softwarewise. SWony has done an admerable job of replacing its once steady flow of JP games with new exclusive western ones from Uncharted to LBP etc. Blagh blagh I know.

I step lightly as to not start a flame war I have zero interest in participating in.

Just a simple statement that across western markets(once JP is removed from the equation), it is my opinion that PS3 will not be over taking xb360 in terms of hardware sales any time soon. Infact I say it won’t happen untill MS abandon the xb360 and have moved on to something new to replace it.

22. Monk

@ huh, interesting statement!

Can I ask you something, did you read anywhere how much PS3 has been
    sold in Japan every month ??

20-30k every week, 130k-150k every month, compare it with NPD
    numbers for America, it`s less than half [ sometimes ] units
    sold in America, the huge sales is in Europe which PS3 is the
    lead there [ exclude UK ].

I can also say that with America, Xbox 360 will be not ever a lead without America !

23. OlderGamer

It would def be interesting to see lifetime sales numbers of this gen for xb360, PS3, and Wii in JP.

Also I don’t think the sales alone of xb360 in NA are the reason the system finds itself the lead dev system.

I think that is because much of what gets released now are western games. Those games do tend to devd on xb360 as a lead platform. I think that is down to MS being an agressive publishing partener with years of experience in software(very important in todays online focused game experiences), and the fact that the xb360 system is easier, faster, and ultimatly cheaper to program for.

And added to that it makes for fast and easy PC ports(and vica versa).

I don’t think that sales numbers alone are the driving force behind it being a lead developing platform.

24. Gekidami

I didnt “undervalue the NA market”, i just fixed a mistake you were making.

Fact is OG, you can pretend one region ‘doesnt count’ all you want, it wont make it true.
    Oh, and the PS3 sells better then the 360 in Europe, so no its not just thanks to Japan. In that regard you could say that the US ‘doesnt count’ being the minority, which paints a pretty picture for the PS3. Ofcourse i havent seen anyone else try to outright ignore a set of figures, other then you.

Seriously OG, i’m not sure if you’re just a total 360 fanboy, or if you’re just ridiculously patriotic in regards to US products (i’m thinking the latter).

25. OlderGamer

I promise you I am not a fanboy Gek. My thrid xb360 has just died. My oldest sons xb360 is having trouble reading discs now as well. I am ready to throw the things out the window.

I am slowly moving my game experiences from xb360 to PS3, consolewise. I still hame on PC more then anything.

My apparent disdane for asiasn products is more down to their continued unique styleing that allianates me as a gamer. Interestingly enough style and game types are the reason behind their reluctance to embrace western flavoured games. East and west have very different culture values and more over the way they represent these ideals. Each has stareotypes to the point of over done cliches. To the muscle bound Marcus/Duke types in the west or the long flowing white haired hero/party of young child adventureers. One always carries a gun, the other always a sword larger then their bodies.

They are just different. Neither right nor wrong. But surly one could see where they could appeal to different people. And it can’t be ok for JP gamers to reject fps but not ok for western gamers to reject high school dating sims.

I think the major impact here tho is less flavor of DMC vs Uncharted or Gears, and more the extreme shift to handhelds in JP. Western gamers also have travel games, but more have them on cell phones.

I feel that JP has isolated itself into a rut. That isn’t me being an ignorant jarhead, blinded by nationalism. More of a simple observation.

Marketwise, sales numberwise, I think the impact of the USD>Euro>Yen across the global game market. This however, is where I could be mistaken.

Lastly given the Earthquake and Tsunomi I am not going to bad mouth JP further. I was just trying to explain my pov to you.

26. theevilaires

Sorry O.G. but yesterday you admitted you only have 5 PS3 games…..last time I checked there were more than 5 exclusives on the PS3 all of which destroy anything on the XBOX360…..you made a comment in the forum once saying fuck the PS1 and PS2 as being the greatest consoles ever made (a poor judgment on your part) you claim sega dreamcast was the best and since you made that allegation we know you’re crazy for sure.

Its a fact the PS2 killed the dreamcast your fav console and I’m guessing like many die hard sega fans back then you were pissed and neglected the PS2 for the XBOX which brings us to present day for your weird preference of only having 5 PS3 games…..I’m sorry but pinball can’t be that much fun vs a PS3 which disc drive still works and has the best exclusives in every genre….pretty sure you can create your own pinball game in LBP2.

Unfortunately you’ve painted yourself as a XBOT in the community…but I still love you ;)

27. Crysis

@26.
    “Its a fact the PS2 killed the dreamcast your fav console”
    & the iPod destroyed all other MP3/4 players despite it’s awfully high price compared to similar players, success does not equal superiority, remember that the average man is a fool.

28. OlderGamer

Tea Tea Tea, where did your mother and I go wrong?

When Sega pulled the plug on Dreamcast it had 5 million system sales in NA alone. It simply wasn’t moving in JP. The system was very forward thinking, and was built around a Online game experience, something that JP wasn’t ready for. The Dreamcast was ahead of its time.

I super enjoyed playing online racers, fps, sports, and of course PSO on Dreamcast. PS2 didn’t offer anything like that when it came out. When Xbox one launched and offered online games like Mechassult, Rally Sport Challange, 2K sports, PGR, and of course an improved PSO I was hooked.

Ironicly it was prolly when Sega launched Dreamcast that I found I wanted more out of the console experience. After DC, that hunger was feed with xbox. Sony just didn’t do that well on either PSone or PS2. It was dreamcast then xbox all of the way.

Enter this gen, I bought a xbox360 right away. PS3 launched at 700usd. I bought one at 600usd. But they didn’t offer much at launch. Warhawk was a good and solid experience in my book. I had a lot of fun with that one. But xb360 just had more.

Thats the history. I also really enjoyed other things like an almost Dreamcast type controler for xbox/360. I liked the arcade offerings on xbox and 360.

As far as Zen Pinball goes, I think they did their best work on the PSN tables. Tesla and Paranormal are both off the chart. Ninja Gaiden is also outstanding. I really like those game, crazy I know. I want more more more.

I am going to the store today, if I come home with a game, it is going to be a PS3. I wish Sony offered a more robust selection of downloadable games. Both arcade/psn exclusive types, but also full blown retail ones like games on demand.

I really don’t think of myself as a blind xbot. Just a gamer that Sony hasn’t connected very well with over the years. My best PS gaming memories where had on PS2 playing Champs of Norath and EQOA. Sadly Sony doesn’t have those types of games on PS3. Now I play Rift, Titan Quest, and Tourchlight instead on other platforms.

29. theevilaires

“PS3 launched at 700usd”.

I think thats where you and my mother went wrong. I think Alzheimer is kicking in and you can’t remember shit 4 years ago I damn sure doubt you can remember things decades ago.

I think its time for you to retire oldergamer because the PS3 launched at $600 buddy not $700. Stick to your WOW until its time for you to slump over like a 15 year old Korean kid and pass on from natural causes. Also I’m going to assume everything else you typed is in error and not even worth my time reading but I feel sorry when the elderly are taking advantaged of and tricked into buying faulty products over and over….I hear social security checks aren’t that much these days.

@ Crysis: you’re stupid, shut up, and go outside and chase a kangaroo.

30. Crysis

We don’t chase kangaroos you fool, we ride in their pouches, American’s have motorbikes, we have roos :D

31. theevilaires

then you cut off their ball sacks and use it to store coins for good luck….I should know I have one in my pocket right now :D

32. stretch215

@27 “…remember that the average man is a fool” no, the fool is the man who falsely believes he is better, wiser, or smarter than the average man. You assume too much my friend.

33. Crysis

“no, the fool is the man who falsely believes he is better, wiser, or smarter than the average man. You assume too much my friend.”
    I’m not assuming anything here, I just have some common sense & almost always think before I act, unlike some people.
    What I consider a fool is someone who persistently acts without or before thinking, but everybody does foolish things, doesn’t make them all fools.

34. OlderGamer

I am pretty sure that the PS3 clock in at 699usd during weeke one Tea.

But even at 599 it was still a monster price.

35. stretch215

“… but everyone does foolish things” like making the post I referred to in my earlier comment? I agree