Naughty Dog dishes details on 3D, villainess in Uncharted 3

Thursday, 10th March 2011 18:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Naughty Dog has dished a bit on Uncharted 3′d, Katherine Marlowe who bears an “uncanny resemblance” to Rosalind Ayres – the actress who lends her voice to the villainess.

In the video posted below, lead designer Richard Lemarchand tells the PS Blog more about Katherine’s desire for Sir Francis Drake’s ring (which our Drake has) as well as the implementation of 3D and how it will still benefit those who have yet to purchase a 3D TV.

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception releases in the US on November 1.

1. Erthazus

3D for playstation 3 is absolutely SHIT. The reason is simple. The system is not powerfull enough and games are dumbed down because of it.

Great example: Killzone 3.

In 3D, game loses FSAA effect and look not very well compared to the standard HD edition.

Uncharted 3 already is scaled down because of 3D effects. I remember Uncharted 2 had some prettty gorgeous environments with some good textures on them, but now textures are bland at best.

Next Generation 3D in Playstation? Sure. Why not? But not now really. I think it hurts Naughty Dog as the developer that creates fantastic games for the Playstation devices.

2. Ireland Michael

One thing you certainly can’t fault this franchise for is its ability to stay fresh.

That’s just one of many reasons it outclassed Lara Croft so quickly, and why it remains one of the best reasons to own a PS3.

3D? I couldn’t care less.

3. theevilaires

People who could care less about 3D wish they had it the most….moving along.

Uncharted 3 GOTY 2011! People here who have 3D tvs imagine that cut scene they showed in 3D where she takes out the knife or the rain pouring in the background. This is going to be a great experience and another example while exclusivity matters.

P.S. ignore #1….he has a LG tv and tries to talk about graphics LMAO!

4. monkeygourmet

But… Sony… needs… to… justify… 3D TV’s! Unfortunatly that means shoe horning the tech into currant games before it’s ready. A good test for next gen…

The new Motorstorm sounds like it’s nailed the 3D though :)

5. monkeygourmet

“People who could care less about 3D wish they had it the most….moving along.”

You can’t really use the “haters gonna hate” line here. 3D in gaming is still an unproven tech. Sony are only pimping it because they need to shift their TV’s, fact.

6. Erthazus

@4, Motorstorm? Probably. I think it was not so heavy for the system. But i’m talking about some really big titles that i love.
    Uncharted 3 already looks worse then it’s predecessor. Still, it’s going to be a good experience.

@3, “he has a LG tv and tries to talk about graphics LMAO!”

and what? I have one of the best models to date. So, TEA know shit about graphics/visuals and technology so your opinion here is “zero” at best.

7. Galactic_Barret

Wait, how is it unproven when you just wrote MS3 used it well? Didn’t Wipeout have good 3d as well? What are you people talking about? Hit or miss, sure. Unproven? Shut that filthy trap.

8. theevilaires

@5 Unproven!? What the hell are you smoking sir? I played KZ3 in 3D throughout the entire campaign and it looked lovely sir. I can’t wait for Motorstorm because the Pacific Rift 3D Demo was bonkers good. Sir don’t confuse being broke with unproven.

I think your bank account is unproven to provide sufficient funds to purchase the evolution of entertainment sir….I mean that with total respect sir don’t get offended please. I recommend collecting soda cans as a hobby, donating blood or sperm, or actually getting a job to be able to afford a ticket on this 3D cruise extravaganza because this 3D video game stuff is sex for your eyes sir.

I mean no disrespect….sir :D

9. Ireland Michael

@3 Your stupidity never ceases to impress me.

“People who could care less about 3D wish they had it the most….moving along.”

I’ve used 3D. I’ve sat down and played these 3D games on very expensive Sony HD TVs, months before you did. It’s fun, but it’s utter superfluous to the experience.

I *don’t* care about. And neither do a lot of people. It has nothing to do with wanting it, or jealously, or some desperate need to have every single little fad in our hands the moment it comes out.

We simply don’t care.

Unlike you, not everyone needs to feel like they need to have a gigantic black cock to have an enjoyable experience.

10. spiderLAW

@9 lets keep the racisism out of the arguing please.

“gigantic black cock”- really not needed.

“Gigantic COCK” – cool.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Please, spare me. You know exactly what I meant. It’s taken the piss out of a stereotype, one which TEA satisfies perfectly. He makes 50 Cent look like a humble and down to earth individuals.

It has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

12. monkeygourmet

I’ve got 2 Samsung HDTV’s at the mo with 2 Xbox’s rigged up, one 32″ and one 37″ both 1080p and a PS3 Phat on the way. It’s not about cash, 3DTV’s are cheaper than what i paid for the 37″ Samsung only about a year ago.

There is simply no need to adopt yet as there isn’t enough support and i feel the consoles we have now aren’t quite ready yet (the 360 can barely output games at 720p).

The best purchase i have made was my surround sound set up just before Dead Space 2 came out, now that DID change my gaming experience…

13. spiderLAW

@11 It does. Stereotypes are a facet of racism. I know you weren’t implicating it in such a way, but it still means the same either way.
    But of course, do as you please. I was merely making a suggestion.

You are indeed smart, but sometimes you let your arrogance take the first step.
    “Please, Spare me. You know exactly what i meant.” – You would had known exactly what i meant had you not let arrogance/pride be your first reaction.

14. theevilaires

@12 my only beef was that you said unproven, the other BS I was talking was purely for entertainment of course. I don’t know your financial status but I do know anyone who wanted something bad enough would do what it took to get it. Obviously you just don’t feel 3D tvs are justifiable yet to “you”

For me its great although I don’t use the function every time I use the set.

@ O’Connor I really feel sorry for you. You’re like the king of trolls…..Ganondorf if you will (please during your weekly name change adopt that handle it suits you so good). What is wrong with you buddy why do you seek attention like this? “BLACK COCK” ….listen what you and your tranny girlfriend do is your business although I find it funny as hell thinking about you dressed up in an all black gimp suit hog tied taking it from your tranny girl.

15. monkeygourmet

I think i will pick up a 3DTV when my newest Samsung has run it’s course, prob next year sometime. By that time hopefully we’ll have a glimpse of the next gen Sony and Microsoft machines and how they propose to use the tech.

I just get a bit pissy when i feel Sony are trying to force stealth technology onto the market without really thinking about it’s practical uses… i.e. using the PS3 to ensure Blurays success at the expense of quicker loading times (i might not want to HAVE to install every game i buy).

At the moment i feel 3D unfortunatly falls into this catagory, although Motorstorm looks like a move in the right direction. Maybe in another 6 months i’ll be able to re-evaluate! :)

16. Galactic_Barret

On the subject of black penii…

*looks*

Correct! ^.^b

17. xxJPRACERxx

The 1st time I played a game in 3d was in 97-98 with hd3quake with my H3D system. I’ve tried Killzone 3 on a high-end Sony 3d tv at a retail store and the 3d experience is exactly like it was 14 years ago (except higher resolution). 3d is nice at 1st but the wow-factor wear quickly.

If they have to make sacrifices to implement 3d then I prefer they just don’t implement it.

18. Telepathic.Geometry

The racism card has absolutely no fucking place here.

19. theevilaires

Mr JPRACER sorry to tell you but you’re full of shit! Try again buddy. The fact that you admit you tried it at a retail store is retarded. First of all I bought my TV because its the best on the market hands down as of late last year to now probably. Second 3D was a bonus….. a major bonus and I doubt back in 97-98 you were playing your 3D games on a 55″ 1080P beast.

I swear man if this stuff was happening on the 360 all you bitches would be in the streets having a parade. Nobody is forcing you to use 3D and KZ3 just like UC3 will look great without using that feature. You can turn of the 3D effect at will you morons. All you sour asses need to stop hating and be grateful SONY is giving you free added value to your PS3′s unlike M$.

Even without 3D UC3 will slaughter every game this year M$ or PC has to dish out,. GOTY 2011 Uncharted 3 hands down.

20. xxJPRACERxx

All I’m saying is I’ve tried 3d 14 years ago on a 19″ PC monitor and recently on a 42″ Sony 3d tv and the 3d effect is the same. I don’t know why I’m full of bullshit because of that.

Also I have a 51″ tv and I prefer to play on my 29″ PC monitor. My PC is connected to it, my 360 and my PS3. Bigger =/= better. I don’t care about your 55″ 1080P beast. And it’s not a question of money.

I agree that 3d tvs have better panels, so even if you don’t use 3d the image quality should be better.

And the problem with 3d like Erthazus said, is the PS3 is not powerful enough for it and the dev have to make sacrifices, even if you don’t use it.

21. theevilaires

You’re full of bullshit because you’re talking about trying a 3D tv out in a retail store thats why. First of all you have no control over proper lighting or position so you failed right there sir and 1. at least the PS3 is doing 3D unlike the 360 at all. Like I said give SONY the respect they deserve for giving your ass the “opinion” to enhance game play.

Thats what you fail to realize and UC3 still looks better than UC2 even in 2D so come one man you fail….miserably. We’ve all seen the Jimmy Falon footage dude who are you kidding mr P.RACER. Also I never said having a 55″ 1080P beast had something to do with money. I was only pointing the fact that back in 97-98 theres no way you could compare 3D to a new LED-LCD Hi def 3d set because they weren’t around. Not at least in regular consumer hands. Also backing Erthazus retarded ass makes you look even more ignorant.

Pound for pound KZ3 in 3D looks better than anything you’ve played on the Xbox360 even if the 3D effect took resources from the game and made it look awful (which it doesn’t). Naughty Dog are the GODS of gaming right now. They bitch slap every game dev on this planet. When they release Uncharted 3 you have two options.

A. Sit your ass on the side lines and look afar with green eyes

or

B. Join in on the EPIC AWESOMENESS of true Video Game craftsmanship and bathe in the glory of SONY,Naughty Dog, and Uncharted 3 (in 2D or 3D).

22. monkeygourmet

Jesus, won’t you get off Drake’s dick already?

Mario Galaxy 2 will still be a better “game” than anything Naughty Dog comes up with now or in the future so i don’t know why you keep suckling at Naughty Dog’s teat so readily.

Also, 3D is already used in quite a few 360 games, Enslaved, Black Ops, Cyrsis 2 etc… And from what i heard the 360 doesn’t take so much of a performance hit when it’s being used… Guess why? Because the 360 performs better at multiplatform like always.

Im glad you like your TV, but don’t feel you have the need to justify it every 3 seconds please…

23. xxJPRACERxx

@21 1st I have a PS3 and it’s my favorite console. Both Uncharted and God of War are some of my favorite games this gen, calm yourself.

2nd, 3d in 97-98 and 3d today are the SAME TECH: shutter glasses. Back then, PC crt monitor could easily do 120Hz+ vertical refresh, so 3d with these monitors were no problem. It’s when LCD started to appear that 3d dissapear because LCD refresh then was problematic. Now that the refresh problem is gone (but still, LCD’s crap compared to a crt) 3d is comming back again. But there’s nothing new about this technology.

So even if my test was in a store, lights were dimed and I could easily see the 3d effect and it’s the same thing. I’m glad you like it but for me and many others it’s a gimmick. If the PS3 would be able to do 3d for “free” (ressource wise) I wouldn’t critic. But the dev have to make some sacrifices to implement 3d correctly and I don’t like that.