Court lifts LG Sony injunction, sets 300,000 PS3s free

Thursday, 10th March 2011 17:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The injunction in a patent disagreement between LG and Sony has been lifted, meaning that 300,000 stranded PS3s in Holland are now free to go.

Sony appealed the customs blockade, and the court has now lifted the injunction with no more seizures to be applied. LG has also been ordered to pay Sony’s €130,000 in legal fees, with an additional €200,000 to be added for each day it fails to pony up the dough.

FOSS Patents owner Florian Mueller said: “If this is true, it is only related to the prejudgment seizure order. This means Sony can resume the distribution of PlayStations across Europe for now, but there will be a full-fledged legal proceeding to determine whether there is an infringement – and if so, how much Sony owes LG for it.”

Last week, LG won an injunction under EU law blocking the import of PS3 units for ten days, as part of the electronics manufacturer’s claim to the BluRay patent, thus stranding hundreds of thousands of consoles in harbors such as Rotterdam and Schiphol.

Thanks: Eurogamer, Insidegamer, MCV, Syrok.

1. Joe Anderson

Good.

2. russdude13

Phew…

3. Razor

Wheeeee

4. theevilaires

It was a matter of time really…and now LG just wasted time and painted themselves as an enemy of SONY. Expect LG stocks to plummet soon and I’ll take responsibility thank you.

5. Lounds

LG 3D tv’s suck so bad, Sony and Panasonic ftw

6. Gama_888

its not over yet guys…..

7. Gekidami

And LG has to pay Sony for the inconvenience. I bet they really regret the move now.

8. M2Kx

@6: I hope it is :/

@5: Seriously, stop posting such irrelevant crap, thx.

9. spiderLAW

@8 How was it irrelevant. This is a story about LG vs Sony. His comment was LG vs Sony…. Relax bro.

10. Erthazus

It’s still not over.

But Sony have here some pretty good results. Some FREE CASH!

@5, Go fuck yourself. Thank you. LG makes really good TV’s.

11. spiderLAW

they make good quality pictures. Reliability sucks on almost everything LG.

12. Galactic_Barret

LG is trash in terms of reliability. The og 360 of consumer electronics, basically.

13. Hunam

Is this TV fanboyism I see before me? What a dark world we live in.

14. Erthazus

@13, exactly :D i saw some forum where moms were fighting about washing machines :D

Washing machine wars FTW!

@11, never experienced it. I have only a TV that is LG. Everything else is Samsung and Sony.

My previous TV was Sony and previous monitor was LG. Never had problems with both of them also.

15. M2Kx

@9: Ehm, where’s the relevance if I post on a Sony vs LG topic, that I dislike LG TVs? No seriously, I don’t get it. It’s almost the same if I would post in the News topic, how I like my pancakes >_>

ps: LG TVs are awesome if you compare them to other in case of money value for example. There’s no other brand that gives you good quality for 300-400€ ;)

16. Lounds

Erthazus

do you like just being a dick and dam right offensive to people, and am I not allowed to spread my opionion, I work in an electronica store and i see all the lastest 3D tv’s and LG are the worst by far, oh thats only my part time job (saturday job) mon – fri i’m IT tech and i’m also a PC gamer like you, but why do you have to be such a dick really?