PS3 to get Online Storage cloud-save service now live

Wednesday, 9th March 2011 17:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Online Storage, a cloud-save system for PS3, has launched exclusively for PlayStation Plus members.

Online Storage allows PS Plus subs to make game saves online, up to a maximum of 1,000 saves or 150Mb of data.

Users are able to access their Online Storage via the XMB, under the Games icon. There, they can save game data or download and pick up and play from where they left off.

Games saved in Online Storage can be accessed by logging into PSN from any PS3. Therefore, it’s possible to download a game save to a friend’s PS3 and continue playing.

The service also means that game data will now be safe when updated confirm software.

The move is seen as a precursor to the launch of PlayStation Phone Xperia Play and PSP successor NGP later this year: a cloud-saving system, as has been much-noted, will be necessary for owners of more that one type of PlayStation-branded hardware to keep track of their progress.

Remember, you need to be a Plus sub to use Online Storage. A subscription costs £39.99/€49.99 a year, or £11.99/€14.99 for 90 days.

As well as Online Storage, a Plus sub gives you access to “new, classic and exclusive games, themes and avatars worth over £200 a year,” according to Sony.

Subs also get early access to selected demos and betas, the option to try certain games before you buy and auto-firmware updates.

1. Joe Anderson

This is awesome, though the haters will probably continue to hate PlayStation Plus, which for me has been well worth the money.

2. Razor

Good stuff, the first sensible thing Sony has done with PS+ so far.

3. spiderLAW

@1 nevermind
    Yeah. This is awesome news. i think now, when i have money (when im not saving to buy a home, sick of renting) i will get a years sub.

4. OrbitMonkey

So this is why psn is shut down for maintenance from 1600-0300 today. *COD withdrawals setting in*

5. Kerplunk

I can hear Geohot limbering up already… :)

6. Joe Anderson

@6 I doubt it, cause you know he’d actually have to pay for PS Plus, he couldn’t hack that and get it for free.

7. lexph3re

This…. is….AWESOME!!

8. Gama_888

wow, fair play Sony.
    I think this is the final nail in the coffin for me to subscribe to PS+ :)
    Great stuff, really.

Im assuming these saves will still be available during future down-time though?

9. itsucks

Pieceofshit 3 tards only needs trhis beacuse if that shit YLOD’es, they are fucked. Pay to recover saves, lol.

And 150 Mbs is a joke, Dragon Age has almost 20Mbs for save (the worst scenario), so if you keep 10 saves of a RPG, you are fucked.

10. _S_E_R_G_

Steam did it.

11. xino

ok makes sense now!
    when they say you can use your ps3 save on NGP

12. NeoSquall

@4 My thought exactly. Well we can live without PSN if it’s for that end.

I think I’ll subscribe once I’ll get a bit more of monthly payment.

13. Nozz

I subscribed about 2 weeks ago and haven’t looked back since.

This is great news, I can now access my game saves at my mates house without bringing a usb stick (which i usually forget).

@8 I don’t think thats how it works. If PSN is down then we wont be able to access the online storage.

14. DeathJynx

First thing that makes my plus really worth it. Solves problems with games like two worlds 2 and demon souls, where you can’t back up your save file.

15. Hybridpsycho

@itsucks

YLOD’es? lol, mad 360 fan is mad.
    YLOD is as rare as you ever getting laid… They say about 0.2-0.5% of the PS3′s get it so yeah. Nice one there :p

I have to agree with the size though, it could be increased to at least 500mb imo.

PS: The reason why this is nice as well is that, if I wanna update my harddrive. Oh snap I can do that with any 2.5″ drive I want for the PS3! You 360 fanboys cannot! :O
    This would mean I can’t transfer my multiplayer files to the new HDD, since they cannot be copied. Cloud save files = Problem solver.

16. DeathJynx

Hey the “edit” button is back hahaha. Off topic!

17. DeathJynx

@15 I think he is more mad at the 11 hour downtime to implement it. He said nothing bad about ps3 and nothing good about xbox. Infact, he mentioned 3 as the number of people he thinks has got the ylod. Which on a global scale is lower then you % assumptions.

18. Gigabomber

PS plus has been worth it, and this would be a great feature if it were free/cheaper rather than sony loading up another bill for me to pay.

19. DeathJynx

@13 im sure we can access our saves during psn downtime. We can still download game updates, why not saves.

20. Nozz

@19 i actually didnt know about being able to download updates during downtime. In that case maybe we will be able to access the saves stored online.

21. Ireland Michael

Those asking about being able to access your saves during down time… it sounds to me (I may be wrong, its just how I’m reading it) like this allows you to simply upload your saves for safe-keeping. You’re not actually loading or saving your games from the server.

So it’s more of a backup than an actual cloud game saving feature. Your actual original save will always be stored locally on your machine.

22. cerealguy

Forgot to mention that $ony is trying to stop the PSN bypass methods to those who have custom firmwares, I think they will fail hardly.

23. Cee

Been wanting a cloud service for many moons
    I’ll be uploading the small and copy protected saves asap
    I’ll be backing up 38MB Mafia 2 save on a USB

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

THIS.

IS.

AWESOME.

Awhile back, my hard drive crashed and I lost ALL my save files.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

NICE MOVE SONY!!!!!!

25. DeathJynx

@ 24, keep in mind you should always back ups your saves via usb device. The cloud will be useful for games that don’t let you physically back up files. But it wont fit all your saves. Atleast not all the big ones.

26. DeathJynx

@21 Straight from the ps blog, it says your can restore data once every 24 hours period.

27. DeathJynx

And update, we will not be able to access our save files during downtime. It says it will be accessed through our psn id. So no go if you can’t sign in.

28. spiderLAW

Not sure that was sarcastic writing but itsucks is known to be the resident Xbox fanboy troll (back_up being the opposite). He doesnt have to mention any type of hate towards either system, we already know what he is trying to pull. Why people keep feeding him, i dont know.

29. Nozz

@26 The 24 hours thing is only for Protected game saves.

“If the developer has chosen to implement copy protection on their game saves, you can still copy those files to Online Storage but there will be a 24 hour period, after each save, before you can then download them on any PS3.”
    -PS BLOG.

30. DeathJynx

@Nozz if you are gonna quote something, copy and paste it. That is not what it says. All game data will have a once per 24 hour restore feature.

31. Lord Gremlin

At least ability to back up copy protected saves. My country still don’t have PS Plus though. Slow fuckers at Sony…

32. Nozz

I did.

33. DeathJynx

You using uk blog? Because the post at blog.us.playstation.com says something different.

34. Nozz

Yes I used the UK blog.

LMAO can’t they even co-ordinate their damn info between regions?

35. DeathJynx

Ha ha. Oh well. Update 3.60 is out tomorrow and we shall find out for ourselves I guess :)

36. spiderLAW

Update 360?…..dun dun dun

37. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

@36 lol YLOD for everyone! or maybe RROD?

38. lexph3re

3.60 is live! Installing now

39. lexph3re

3.60 is live! Installing now!

Edit: what the duece! ^^

40. osric90

Hopefully this will be free someday… and hey, yes, I’m still waiting my PS2 backwards… but hell, if Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Silent Hill HD Classics, Devil May Cry HD Trilogy, Resident Evil 4 plus Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles: Move Edition, Fatal Frame HD Trilogy and Haunting Ground HD Edition come to PS3 in Blurays I will forget about it as any other freakin’ favorieta game is already in the HD treatment.

41. Blerk

Online storage for your saves is a great idea, but does it not work automatically like Steam does it? That seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

42. FredEffinChopin

Well, I guess it’s time to give in and subscribe to plus. It’s definitely more than worth it now.

43. Ireland Michael

@41 It’s more of an online-storage system then actual cloud saving. Personally, I prefer it that way.