Blizzard releases second 20th anniversary video

Tuesday, 8th March 2011 09:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard’s released a second video charting its history as it celebrates its 20th anniversary. It has some Blizzard high brass, including co-founders Mike Morhaime, Frank Pearce and Allen Adham, talking about how it set up the company and more.

You can watch it on the Blizzard website through here. First video’s here.

1. UuBuU

Really not a fan of Blizzard games at all, but you have to admire their contribution towards PC gaming. Even if they make mediocre games, they sure as hell know how to make hugely popular mediocre games.

2. Maximum Payne

I still dont believe that they make Starcraft 2 6 years and no new races or inventing new formula?.I mean they have so much money hire more people for god sake.I understand company like Reamedy who make Alan Wake because they dont have much money but Acti-Blizzard…

3. Erthazus

@2, they just didn’t want to screw Korean fanbase and just did a 3D version of Starcraft I which was the first Blizzard dissapointment in my opinion.

4. Maximum Payne

Yea but 6 years for that ? that is my problem :(

5. Freek

You woulden’t say that if you played the game. It’s rare to see a game with so much polish and detail, so much much variety and such perfect balance in gameplay.

6. UuBuU

@5 Detail and variety? You’re kidding, right? Try bland, ugly looking and simplistic. Three races, limited buildings upgrades and units, gaudy artwork, simplistic gameplay largely revolving around rushing for resources. I don’t care how well balanced it is when it’s that simplistic.

I’d much rather have a complex RTS with many races/factions, tons of building opportunities, a wide scope for different tactics and strategies, etc. Any balancing issues can be patched out later.

Frankly, it’s the most overrated RTS in the history of gaming; and possibly one of the most overrated games of all time full stop.

7. DSB

It’s a bit like complaining that your chess board doesn’t have enough structures or units.

In my opinion Blizzard didn’t do enough to let people know that Starcraft II was going to be purely focused on the multiplayer, and that made it a disappointment for me as someone who doesn’t really have the patience to get into online RTS games, but based on what everybody who loves online RTS games say, it’s easily the best game ever made in that category.

I know a lot of people who were never into online RTS’s who are now completely hooked on what their ranking is at any given time. That’s impressive.

Ultimately I don’t think complexity is a good thing in a multiplayer game. At least not a free one, where people don’t have to give a shit. The trick is to make the game simple, and leave it to the gamers to be complex.

8. UuBuU

I’ve played a fair few RTS games online, including SCII, and honestly, I still found the game to be very one dimensional and simplistic. I can see how people might get hooked on the fast, competitiveness of it, but for me there just wasn’t anywhere near enough scope for unique tactics.

There’s definately such a thing as over-balancing an RTS by making it too simple in my opinion. If an RTS game has a lot more factions, buildings and units, it doesn’t just give you more options, it makes you have to think a lot more about countering your opponent. Also, if the game isn’t so heavily revolved around resources, there are many ways of winning; not just by rushing or playing tug of war with resource hotspots on the map.

9. DSB

I totally agree with you. I don’t really get the idea of making it about how many actions per minute you can spit out, but based on the enjoyment that so many others get out of it, I just think there’s a real demand being met there.

I’ll always prefer something a bit deeper and more tactical, but I’d still be hard pressed to define a more suitable format for an online RTS. It’s simple, tight, fast and pretty well balanced.

I don’t think a lot of those matches go over 30 minutes if either player knows what they’re doing, which to me is an accomplishment in itself.

10. Grimrita

Like others, I found SC2 to be a pile of over rated shit. But credit to Blizzard – they are the masters when it comes to polishing turds.

Give me the original Dawn of War online any day!