UK charts: Pokemon White and Black takes over top two, Bulletstorm overtakes Killzone 3

Monday, 7th March 2011 09:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Chart-Track’s just confirmed that Pokemon Black and White has taken the top two spots in this week’s UK charts.

Last week’s number one, Killzone 3, has now fallen to fifth behind Bulletstorm, with the Epic shooter leapfrogging its Guerrilla counterpart.

Fight Night Champion finishes off the top three behind Pokemon.

Top ten for the week ending March 5 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Pokemon White (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  2. Pokemon Black (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  3. Fight Night Champion (EA Sports, EA)
  4. Bulletstorm (People Can Fly/Epic Games, EA)
  5. Killzone 3 (Guerrilla Games, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Treyarch, Activision)
  7. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  8. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)
  9. Dead Space 2 (Visceral Games, EA)
  10. Wii Party (Nintendo, Nintendo)

1. Isuru86

Why is Everyone buying the white edition….dumb racists…

2. The_Red

Is it me or is EA releasing too many big games in such a close proximity of each other. I mean, BulletStorm, Dead Space 2 and Fight Night Champ are all fighting each other.

3. NeoSquall

I’m appalled.
    How come the Pokémon would sell more than Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm in just one day?

How many cheesy boys are around there nowadays?

Please note, I’m not an FPS fanboy, but still I can’t figure anymore how can these games still sell after 15 years

4. Suikoden Fan

@3 simple, they are fucking excellent rpgs

5. NeoSquall

@2 And no, I don’t think these games fight each other because they’re really different geners.

Bulletstorm is an FPS, Dead Space 2 is an Action/Horror game and Fight Night Champion is a boxing game. How can they fight each other?

6. NeoSquall

@4 If you say so.
    I’ve never been a sucker for all Nintendo shenanigans, so I won’t argue about Pokémon games being labeled as RPGs.

7. Blerk

I really enjoyed the very first Pokemon game on the black and white Gameboy. Unfortunately they really don’t seem to have changed at all since then, they just keep repackaging the same game over and over again with slightly different monsters. So I lost interest. Completely.

8. YoungZer0

@7: Yeah, it’s not even funny how little Nintendo tries.

9. NeoSquall

I lost interest in them after the second/third season of the anime (can’t even remember).

As for the games I emulated the Gold one but lost interest in it pretty quicly.

10. RockTwist

Wow lots of hate for a generally fun and well crafted series. It’s truly amusing how many people spout such bollocks as games not changing, yet are quite happy to buy the latest Call of Duty or any other game series – then when a game does try something different from its predecessor ala Dragon Age 2 the internet is flooded with whining posts.

11. Zurtech

You could say the same about games that are part of any series, CoD, Halo, GTA etc, just because you don’t like a game doesn’t mean everyone else should agree with you.

Personally I like Pokemon, tis my fave JRPG, each generation adds/changes very subtle parts of the game mechanics. To someone who’s either not played the games or hasn’t since the first, these changes aren’t even recognizable. But they have such affect on the game itself it’s near impossible to play the older games.

Pokemon is a very popular title and with good reason. Like I said tho, it’s not to everyone’s tastes, but the same can be said for any game.

12. The_Red

@5 I know they are different genres but more than 3 big titles from a single publisher coming out so close to each other.

13. The_Red

@11, I think you meant to say @1 because I don’t see how what you said is related to EA :)

14. Zurtech

@13 Whoops, aye sorry, meant @3 ^_^

15. YoungZer0

@11: CoD, Halo, GTA, all these games brought something new to the table. Pokémon just puts more shitbirds into the games.
    “To someone who’s either not played the games or hasn’t since the first, these changes aren’t even recognizable” Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Just proves my point; Nintendo is by far, the laziest developer out there.

16. StolenGlory

Whilst I agree with the majority of what you said, I would have to say IMHO that Gameloft is the laziest developer out there.

At least Nintendo started with an innovative concept at some point (however long ago that was); Gameloft can make no such claim seeing as they shamefully rip off popular genres in the most banal ‘A to B’ fashion imaginable.

17. Mafro

@3 Meltdown.

Black & White are excellent RPGs that deserve top spot. You sound a bit bitter.

18. Blerk

I don’t think it’s laziness as such, they’ve got a formula that obviously works for the fanbase it’s aimed at. We might not like it so much, but there’s obviously a huge demographic who do. Why change it while it’s still selling and risk losing that audience?

19. RockTwist

@15 If we’re arguing about who ‘brought something new to the table’, surely Nintendo should be right at the top of the list?

20. YoungZer0

@19: Yeah, but that was 20 years ago. And let’s not talk about the Wii and the 3DS and all that gimmick-bullshit.

@18: I understand the idea behind that, this is exactly why they don’t earn the respect they still seem to receive.

@16: Oh, Gameloft, yeah, well, they are only producing games for mobiles, and aren’t really trying to do something new, instead they try to bring famous formulars which are on other platforms to mobiles.

21. Crysis

…Any DS emulator on Android yet?

22. YoungZer0

@21: Lol, PC has it’s first real good emulator just released last month. Before that it was shuttering or not playable, it’s still not finished though. So guess how long that will take. :P

23. Crysis

@15, I agree somewhat on your statement, it irritates me a little when people still call Nintendo innovative.
    Nintendo were pioneers 20 years ago, but with in the past decade they haven’t brought anything new to the table, they just popularized some ancient gimmicks.

24. Crysis

@22, I have played around with at least 4 different DS emus on PC, prefer no$gba, point is PC has had it for well over a year.\
    Only a few days back did Android get a N64 emulator.

25. Zurtech

Letsee, Halo:Reach basically the same as Halo 3, which was the same as Halo 2, which was the same as Halo 1 only with new levels. CoD, some have had major changes and innovation to the series. Most have just been nice corridors with pretty set pieces. GTA is awesome, personally I love it and each game changes major parts of the mechanics.

Below is the list of changes per generation of Pokemon game, I’m sure I’m probably missing a few out of each gen too off the top of my head, but here goes…

Pokemon R/B: new game, every aspect is original for the title, Pokémo G/S: new region (can be likened to new levels), 24 hour clock day/night cycle, new pokemon, new types, new moves, change to defence stats, Pokemon genders, breeding and eggs, pokemon can hold items, animated sprites and female trainer choice in Crystal. Pokemon R/S: New pokemon for the new region, new type combos, new moves, varying story for each cart, pokemon abilities, pokemon contests, berries and berry growing, new breeding mechanics, changes to pokemon IVs and EVs, Pokemon Natures, wireless connectivity, world weater effects. Pokemon P/D: Pokemon Characteristics, different forms and gender differences, new move physical special and effect classifications, changes to contests, minor changes to stat mechanics, new pokemon, new type combos, 3D graphics engine. Pokemon B/W: Fully Animated sprites, dynamic 3D camera in combat scenes, changes to how stats work (lower stats no longer mean useless pokemon), local co-op play, PC connectivity, completely new pokemon (no old ones until game main story is finished), new type combos, ALL pokemon usable (yes even the normal and bug types at the start of the game), streetpass features, more accessible gameplay, no need for HM whores (finally), TMs are now infinite use, in game seasons change per month.

Like I said, have probably missed out a fair few changes, and most won’t seem like major changes to many people. But all changes have an impact on the series to the point it makes the previous games almost unplayable. A comparison would be like in some cases going form playing GTA 2 to GTA 3, others from GTA 3 to San Andreas, and then from San Andreas to GTA4.

26. StolenGlory

“Oh, Gameloft, yeah, well, they are only producing games for mobiles, and aren’t really trying to do something new, instead they try to bring famous formulars which are on other platforms to mobiles.”

And onto the PS3.

27. NeoSquall

@10 Actually I’m not that kind of people, because I hate CoD since the first Modern Warfare (or moreover, I hate Activision for milking the shit out of it) and I think that Dragon Age II is a great addition to the series.

@11 Yeah, it might be I don’t like it just because the franchise doesn’t appeal to me anymore, but I can’t see any innovation in the games, beside the 150 more pokemons to collect.

@17 read above

Finally:

whoa, I didn’t know there was a DS emulator.
    I suppose it emulates the pen via mouse input, am I right?

28. StolenGlory

For the record, I absolutely detest this ‘get out of jail free card’ that Gameloft think they have which allows them to dodge creating their own concepts for games by simply saying ‘We’ve shamefully ripped off genre x headliner title because these games because they aren’t available yet’.

Dickheads.

29. NeoSquall

Well, scratch the part about the innovations in the pokémon games in my previous comment.

Impressive list, actually.

Still it doesn’t make me like those games more than before.

30. RockTwist

@27 Wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

Totally agree on the CoD milking.

31. OrbitMonkey

Call of Pokemon: Black Pikachu = Possibly the best selling game in the universe (if ever made)

32. Zurtech

@ 31

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ^_^

33. YoungZer0

@24, 27: DesMuMe is probably the best DS emulator right now. Download it from the official site.