Report: Microsoft recruiting for next-gen Xbox console

Monday, 7th March 2011 22:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft jobs advertised on LinkedIn suggest the company is preparing for the next generation Xbox. Dismay, tears, and scenes of rioting are expected.

The Beyond 3D forumites turned up several positions on Microsoft’s website which suggest new hardware in the works.

The first job calls for a graphics hardware architect for the team “responsible for defining and delivering next-generation console architectures from conception through implementation”.

“The responsibilities include architecture analysis, key technology selection, architecture specification, communication and collaboration with extended Microsoft teams and partner companies,” the description continues.

A senior architect and performance engineer is also sought, for the Xbox Console Architecture group.

According to the ad, this group “is involved in product definition from early evaluation all the way through high volume manufacturing”.

“The main focus of this position is on performance evaluation and modelling. However, involvement in all aspects of product development regularly occurs. We are looking for someone who is flexible, and wants to be involved with various stages of the product life cycle. During different stages of the product life cycle responsibilities will vary.”

Finally, Microsoft is after a senior hardware design verifcation engineer, “responsible for the design verification and qualification of the Xbox console at the component, motherboard, and system levels”, to “lead test strategy discussions, develop test methodologies and plans and project-manage qualification cycles.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. God

Interesting.

Was there ever any doubt?

2. Crab of Thunder

:O

3. Ireland Michael

If they’re only recruiting now, it could be another four years or more before we see the final product on store shelves.

That’s perfectly fine by me. I stopped caring about the hardware race years ago. When a solid selection of good games start appearing on, I’ll pick it up. Specs are meaningless.

4. YodaJokerBacon

Calling it now.

2014 E3 announcment.

2015 release date.

Pass the mayonaise.

5. MushroomStamp

I’m all kinds of ready for a new console :) Bring on the newness

6. lexph3re

Hiring begins now, development in a month. Then the system will be finished in a year, then launched in fall/winter 2012. Mass recall in end of winter 2012 beginning 2013.

Ms if you wanna do this right. Release an upgrade to 360. An external device that attaches to the S series to make it look like an original. that way you can prolong your system for 3-4 more years. Then release xbox 3.145.

Please take your time on this system and you might get my money next gen.

7. Shonak

@6: Afaik MS is already making lots of profit with 360.

Next-Gen can wait until 2015. I’m with YodaJokerBacon on this one, and gladly take his mayonnaise since I need it anyway for my sandwich. nom nom nom nom…

8. Ireland Michael

@6 Hardware upgrades are a terrible idea and do not but split the userbase.

Show me a single upgrade that’s ever actually work.

Ten years is pretty damn impressive for a console generation, instead of ten. The more powerful they get, the less often an upgrade is needed. The consoles we have now are already powerful enough as it is, and the success of the Wii simply proved that the averageaverage consumer doesn’t give a toss about specs

9. lexph3re

Well I state put a upgrade out there for 360 not because past upgrades failed. But, because I honestly think microsofts dedicated base would pay for it. This isn’t 10years ago, and what didn’t work 10years ago can very well work now. And, I think with the way this gen of consumers are. They wouldn’t have a problem paying for an upgrade. They already do it every 6mnths to a year with apple. Why not 360? Make it a 60-75 buck upgrade and bam! Average joe buys it..

I personally already knew microsoft or nintendo would be the first to drop a new console. In part that the 360 wasn’t built to last 10 years. Its barely running 6. I assumed that around year 7-8 of 360s life they’d be looking into a new console. However, it appears to be year 6.

All I want from microsoft is to future proof their console that’s it.

10. M2Kx

@lex: Next time you travel in time, take me with you, I’d love to see the future ;)

@news: Couldn’t care less about a new console. I love the actual gen and I’ll try the new, it’s simple.

11. Razor

Reveal at E3 2012; release spring 2013.

12. Erthazus

E3 2012 reveal

So… SO….

FINALLY, Microsoft is doing some steps, because this generation graphics CAN’T produce even 720p on consoles.

PS3 and 360 are DONE since 2009. It’s over.

13. Erthazus

and Sony again is left in the dust.

Will make SHITTY Ps4 with shitty CELL processor successorl on the 64-bit Power Architecture that is based on Freescale Semiconductor.

Poor Sony… Poor, poor Sony :D what we are going to do… Well i have an answer:

1) Lose the money again
    2) finally getting out of the industry until good idea will come out like with NGP.

14. Lahanas

I dont care about the money, the value of the current gen etc. I want the next-gen to come soon, I need new consoles.

15. daytripper

so many things to consider such as media format, bigger investment in first party software, what improvements will xbox live bring, will the graphics especially be a big leap over the 360, will every console ship with a good spaced hard drive.

i am hoping 1080p/60fps would at least be a starting point to work on.

16. Ireland Michael

@9 “All I want from microsoft is to future proof their console that’s it.”

It took them four years just to present-proof the one they have. Don’t expect miracles. =P

17. Erthazus

“i am hoping 1080p/60fps would at least be a starting point to work on.”

I’m not sure that it is going to happen with any game. But they sure need to have THIS resolution with 60 fps at least for 2-3 years at the start.

and knowing Sony it’s all going to be again:

Sony’s E3: NO FUCKING software, cheap prerendered trailers of upcoming games that look like shit in the end and of course they will talk hundred times about 2560×2048 resolution and how they have the most powerfull system that in the end will have multiplatform titles that looks worse then on less powerfull machine. :D

18. I Am A Troll

So true, Erth. F*** Sony!

*High five*

19. daytripper

i miss the buzz of upcoming consoles, what games could appear on them, the graphic capabilities. 2013-2014 just seems a bit too long to wait despite still liking my 360 and ps3.

erth, what would be your ideal realistic console template for the next generation? such as graphical memory, controller free or both motion and controller in the box at launch, 3d and so forth?

20. Shonak

@Erthazus: Why are you flaming about Sony in a MS news?

I actually don’t care about a leap in graphics so much, I want better AI, story and less failures in multiplayer. Graphics are already good enough for me honestly, any step further than Uncharted or Gears is actually just a step further away for the necessarcy big changes such as the above mentioned or for profit, since higher technique means higher cost, at least in the starting first two or three starting years.

21. lexph3re

Sorry my hot tub broke down. No more time travelin for me

22. Erthazus

@19,

Great question.

Processor: Processor that is based on PowerPC e5500/64 bit architecture without stupid Cell architecture.
    To be more simple: Traditional multicore processor like in Xbox 360 or PC’s but more powerfull. So making games and porting can be just fine for the console. I don’t want to suffer for the bad ports.

Graphics: I can’t comment on this much, but it sure must have Direct3D 11 and Shader Model 5.0 minimum.
    Like in Geforce 100 series.

Ram: 2-4 at least for the multimedia capability and for sake… BETTER AI. Maybe this time consoles will be capable of decent strategy games that have multiple AI’s.

And no more stuff like in PS3 with XDR. I understand that 246 ram you need for Cell, but that is too exotic.

Media: CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD, CD, BD-R, BD-RE, BD-ROM.
    Blu ray as a standard for games and need to be faster then 2x. Maybe 10x-20x

Motion controllers: Free gesture technology would be nice, but i see this only from Microsoft. I don’t know what expect from Sony. Maybe free glasses 3D technology? Just guessing.
    Standard controller must be.
    But it would be really cool if next gen could use mouse and keyboard for EDITORS such as LittlebigPlanet.

@Shinak, “Why are you flaming about Sony in a MS news? ”

Because i want.

23. drewbles82

This has been the longest Gen of a console, therefore people have invested a lot more into it such as games, dlc, controllers(rock band instruments)etc.
    They need to think hard about what the nextgen should do.

Personally ive spent a lot of money on this console with tons of games, loads of DLC, all the rock band stuff, spent hours and hours unlocking achievements. From day one i want to be able to use all this stuff on the nextgen.
    People will not be happy if their achievements dont carry over. Ebay will be flooded with games if this isnt backward comp.
    Whateva they do with the nextgen, making it backwards comp is a must.

24. daytripper

@22 i think allowing a template for mouse and keyboard is essential, especially with games such as lbp2 and infamous 2 offering gamers mission designs and so forth. if there is a game that really goes to town with this and becomes hugely successful more devs will follow, i’d love a gta mission design multiplayer. you know how microsoft loves over expensive add ons, the wi fi adapter for example was waaayyy over priced and with many gamers also wanting mmo’s on consoles it wouldnt surprise me if they put a xbox keyboard and mouse at retail for about 1o-15 euros/dollars/pounds with the xbox logo, guide button and so forth. they know people who dont know better will buy it.

as for the specs, if most of all that was included in one of the next gen machines its a day one for me.

25. lexph3re

Yeah ill never buy a console day one.

26. YoungZer0

Funny thing is: No one’s going to waste another dollar on a new console so soon.

27. Nelius

What a PC gamer would want from a next gen console:

Direct input and native software/game support for keyboard and mouse. All controllers should be wireless with a plug-in cable for recharging.

Quad Core CPU at minimum. For individual processing of physics, AI, game sim and custom purposes.

6GB ram minimum. For massive streaming gameworlds with no loading transitions.

Native 1080p, DX11 GTX580 level graphics with 2GB video ram. For highly detailed game content.

Non-proprietary hard-drive support with plug and play functionality. SSD support. For storage of games, movies, music and maybe an OS.

Intel Thunderbolt ports as a replacement for USB and HDMI. This can also serve as an easier-to-use network cable for linking multiple consoles.

Silent and cool hardware by utilizing vapour chamber heatsinks in addition to fans.

Blu-ray or flash card for packaged content delivery.

An integrated online store for downloading full AAA games, movies, TV shows, music and any custom applications.

An adaptable server architecture so game developers are unrestricted when designing multiplayer. P2P could then be marginalized to very specfic low player count games such as RTS, fighting and sports. On the other end, high population FPS, racing and simulation MP games could benefit from dedicated servers. MMO servers could be run by the publishers’ themselves.

28. Nelius

Almost forgot, a segmented D-pad is a must!

29. Maximum Payne

So now Xbox 720 is going to support 720p resolution.
    trololo

30. Blerk

For everyone saying that the current generation is ‘done’, someone really ought to inform the consumers. Because they don’t half seem to be buying a lot of consoles and software still.

The fact that they’re working on new stuff isn’t that big of a shock, it’d have been far more surprising if they weren’t. Let me keep my 360 profile and XBLA games and stick with a normal pad and you’ll be off to a good start, MS. Although there’s bugger all chance I’ll buy one at launch. :-)

31. UuBuU

About time. Not that I care too much, I’ll always have a vastly superior PC no matter what consoles come out.

32. The_Red

If it envolves “performance evaluation” then an actual prototype won’t be ready for at least 1-2 years and even then, it will take more than that to finalize the full product and…

33. Callum

Eurgh, I can smell the motion controllers and 3D gimmicks all ready.

At least microsofts console will be easy enough to develop for, and hopefully they will learn lessons from XBLA and have an indie devkit for it aswell.

As for Sony…

34. 2plus2equals5

I’m no longer a kid, this is probably my last gen, but i really want the ngp… :(

35. Blerk

Wait, you’re supposed to stop playing games when you’re not a kid any more? Why did nobody mention this before?!

36. Freek

You diden’t get the memo? You’re also banned from Pixar movies and Harry Potter books.
    Just an FYI.

And no more candy, ever.

37. Freek

Unless it’s Candy, that’s allowed but kinda expensive….;)

38. spiderLAW

im all for it. Im not saying im ready to buy a new console yet. But i would like one in 2014. If sony and microsoft can get a new console out by 2013, that gives me a full year to evaluate the worth of each console. Next gen i am only picking 1 console. I already figure it would be Sony’s since i have so much content for PS3 as it is. If they dont carry over and have BC, then its a fair playing field for either.

39. OlderGamer

Dear MS,

Please make one that won’t break so much this time.

Thank you.

40. Ireland Michael

@27 What a real gamer would want from a next gen console:

Fun and enjoyable games.

That’s the only thing that matters. Horse power is meaningless.

41. Blerk

You would hope that they’d learned their lesson. But Sony never seem to learn theirs, so maybe MS won’t be any different. :-D

42. OlderGamer

And spiderLaw, that is exactly how I feel about it too.

I am behind in the PS3 content. Most of my stuff is on the xb360. So BC is really going to factor into it.

I will buy only one between MS/Sony. I will prolly buy whatever Nintendo puts out due to it being Nintendo(I am a sucker for Mario/Zelda/Metriod).

Its a little early to wrap up this gen tho. But so far I feel ripped off and let down with MS and its xb360. They break too often. They have nickle and dimed me to death. I am tried of it. As for Sony I also feel let down with unfulfilled promises of what could have been. Sony just showed up late, two beers shy of a six pack, and hung out at the chip dip all party long.

PS3 could have been amazing but they fumbled it from the get go.

Over all I really miss last gen and never felt good about gaming this gen.

Hope next gen brings the fun and keeps its hands away from my wallet. I don’t mind paying, but this gen left me feeling mugged.

43. Cozzy

To be honest I’m not really ready for the nex-gen consoles, I’m happy with my 360 and PS3 for now! Probably won’t be like that when it’s announced though.

44. spiderLAW

Yeah. I feel you. I was the same with the PS3 when i got it. I told all my friends to ignore it because it wasnt worth buying. But as time went on, i shifted over to the PS3 for many reasons (main ones being Metal Gear Solid 4 and the fact that my xbox360 was breaking constantly) and now i know i made the right choice. Im just glad i only had 20 games for the xbox before i switched over. If i had more, i would have had a heart attack when my Pro finally hit the shit.

45. OrbitMonkey

When I want a next gen gaming device, I’ll buy a iPad xD

46. fearmonkey

@Erthazus – I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Sony. I bet they surprise us all in the next generation, for better or worse. Sony definitely made mistakes this gen, you can bet they have noted them, and are going to do things to rectify their past problems. I hope they come out swinging, competition is great for all of us.

My big fear is that MS and Sony will pull a Nintendo like upgrade (releasing a lesser upgrade like a Gamecube to Wii hardware wise, while keeping costs down) rather than the past massive hardware update.

The big question I Wonder is what will the next xbox use for Storage? Blu-ray seems unlikely, some proprietary format? Flash storage? will it require installation? By that time 32GB flash cards will be very inexpensive, so a game could be compressed and then uncompressed for the HD.
    The other big question is memory. High end video cards today have 1.5GB of internal memory, three times the total memory of a 360. The Xbox went from 64mb to 512mb, a 8 times jump. If the next xbox does the same, the internal memory would be 4GB, I would prefer 6 to 8GB, but if they go the cheap route could be as low as 2 to 3GB.
    Animation requires alot of memory, and that is where the next gen will shine. Realistic movements, lip syncing, and movements, to go along with all the extra polygons.

I’m sure the GPU will be a custom ATI based design like the 360, and will have true 1080p rendering, rather than up scaling to that res.

I hope that the next xbox isn’t totally focused on 3D televisions, as I believe Sony is going for. I’m sure it will have kinect abilities right in the box.

A personal dream would be a built in kinect with an AI avatar on the dashboard that recognizes movements, sort of like a high end Dreamcast Seaman.

47. ManuOtaku

I just hope sony and microsoft will not produce consoles that play super HD graphics, just for the sake of it, i cannot afford any new tv any time soon, i hope they can advance the graphics without this.