House: Sony looking to sell PSN titles at retail

Monday, 7th March 2011 09:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEE boss Andy House has said that the company is looking to sell PSN titles at retail.

While SCEA has a similar program with GameStop in the US, SCEE doesn’t yet sell PSN games in European shops.

“We actually already have the same programme in place with GameStop in the US,” House told MCV.

“We would like to work with the right retail partners in Europe under the right model, to undertake the same sort of activity.”

The news comes after it emerged recently that UK retailer GAME is holding in-store trials around for downloadable content code cards.

1. Suikoden Fan

i assume they mean unlock codes, not on disc?

2. Goffee

So, the NGP games they weren’t going to sell instore (http://bit.ly/gesaSh), they will now sell instore…. ooookaayyyyy!

3. Gurdil

I fail to see how it’s gonna be profitable for Sony or the developers that actually made the games, could someone enlighten me?
    If they use retailers, those will take their share (usually around 30%) so Sony and the developers will get less money on each sale except if the games are sold at higher prices. But then who would buy them? There certainly is a subtlety I don’t get here…

4. SamaT

Only advantage I could see is exposure. A lot of people don’t “shop around” on psn. More sales could outweigh the lesser profit if there are enough.

5. xino

good good!

I’ll rent their games
    or if i buy them I’ll sell the piece of shits:)

6. Gurdil

@4 yeah that’s what I thought too but I wasn’t sure there were a lot of people not shopping online. At least I’m unsure these people could be interested in the games that are available there. I would assume they don’t shop online cause they simply don’t care for what’s there, right?