GAME trialing pre-order used game incentive

Saturday, 5th March 2011 23:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GAME has started taking pre-orders for used games. No joke.

While this is currently just in trial mode, if you take advantage of the offer, you can save £16 by tossing out £33.99 for a game that’s been out for one week.

So far, only eight games are available at present through the incentive: Crysis 2, Dragon Age II, Fight Night Champion, Homefront, Shift II: Unleashed, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, Virtua Tennis 4, and WWE All-Stars.

This is the first time a UK retailer has allowed customers to pre-order used versions of games which are currently unreleased.

Thanks, MCV.

1. Bloodyghost

Well think about it. Say Dead Space 2 comes out and you want it but you do not have the money. You could preorder a used copy of the game when one comes around. The longer away from launch your preorder, the less it will cost.

If it works that kind of way tho.

2. DiodeX

Problem is with Game, is the price they charge for used games, something new is still cheaper online than used in Game.
    Not sure why people still shop there! so expensive tbh.

3. DiodeX

Also saying at £34 you are saving £16 is nonsense, I have never seen a standard retail game at £50

4. tenthousandgothsonacid

This story is over 24 hrs old on Eurogamer. As the comments on that story point out, this is the last shakes by a dieing medium.

5. OlderGamer

I don’t want to hear one UK gamer complain about game prices, you folks should live in the states. What we pay is something close to price fixed games. A new game is 60usd, the used copy is 55usd. And those prices stay high for a very very long time.

And before it seems like I am complaining, I would hate to live in ausie or some other places, they have it even worse.

But yea preordering used games is pretty funny.

6. McLovin85

@5 Ummmm have you looked at the exchange rates recently….

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Indeed.

I assure you O.G., games are vastly cheaper in the US.

8. DiodeX

60.00 USD = 36.8800 GBP
    On a par with games sold in the UK!
    I do think though that games get cheaper here in the UK very fast. Dead Space 2 is already £23 in a lot of places.

9. RockTwist

@8 Except in GAME, where games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii is still 34.99 or so used.

10. Zurtech

Aye, have seen NSMB is like £40 in our local Game and DKCR is £45. Likewise big name games like CoD and Halo and so on all stay costing an arm and a leg. Not been in game for like a month tho, but doubt much has changed.

11. xInFeRnO

I remember a while back, after Modern Warfare 2 had been released, in GAME and Gamestation, CoD4 was still £39.99 new….

12. OlderGamer

I could be wrong, but don’t you folks have games being nearly given away at grocery stores as loss leaders?

I recall reading several of you folks bragging about picking this or that game for very low rates. Our games start high and stay high for as long as the store can possibly maintain it. Of course new ones are all but gone, they push used ones.

Amazon/ebay are the best spots to get games here. My guess is that Game is about on par w/gamestop. Both worth avoiding. But I thought you folks had other options?

13. datamonkey

@4 – Exactly!

14. Syrok

Neither the US nor the UK can claim to pay too much for games. In most Euro countries you pay €60 for game on release, that’s $80 or £50.

15. Mercurial

@3 – Correct.

Saving £16 isn’t strictly true. The GAME website lists what the RRP should, be which is generally around £49.99 for a standard copy of a game, but the price rarely, if ever, goes above £39.99.

For example; take Uncharted 3.
    - RRP: £49.99
    - Price: £39.99
    - Save: £10

You don’t ever save that £10 because the price never hits the RRP. So with that £33.99, you’re only really saving £6 or so, which is still a saving – but you’d make more of a saving elsewhere.

16. Dralen

@12 Only on games like FIFA and COD (Games that sell like hotcakes out here in the UK every year). And it only lasts for a week, then the prices go straight back up to normal prices.

17. Dralen

PS. I always use the GAME website to buy my games. The prices are often better than sites like Amazon and play.com, I usually get my games a day or two before release day. Also using the reward points system I get £2.50 off every £50 I spend there, and since I buy shit loads of games I get loads of money back :).