No Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel being planned, says Retro

Friday, 4th March 2011 12:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nintendo has said at GDC a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns is currently not on the cards.

“I wouldn’t say we won’t do a sequel [for Donkey Kong Country Returns], but we don’t have anything planned at this time,” Nintendo’s Kensuke Tanabe told Game Informer.

Tanabe also explained how Retro got its break at creating a Donkey Kong title, saying it approached Nintendo five years ago to create a new DK title, but were turned down. A couple of years later, Nintendo came to the studio and asked if it was still interested in developing a DK title.

But not all hope is lost for a sequel on Country Returns, citing Metroid Prime as an example.

“I wasn’t even thinking about doing a sequel for Metroid Prime until Retro showed me the last scene in the game, which was near the end of development.”

1. theevilaires

Best wii game ever. Its the only wii game I can play for hours on end…..until some kid complains I’m hogging the demo display at Target and gets one of the employees to kick me off :D

I have to buy this game and open my wii once and for all.

2. mathare92

Probably one of the hardest games released in the last 10 years or something.

Proud to say that I DID finish it :D Brilliant game all round.

3. Kerplunk

A shame. This really is a fantastic game on the Wii. Absolutely brutal if you’re trying to get all the extras on the levels too.

After three stellar Metroid games and a superb platformer I’ll be sure to check out anything Retro Studios do next.

4. OlderGamer

This is one of the few games on the Wii that really make the system worth owning. The gems are out there for the system, they just get over shadowed by the newest flavor of shooter for the other two systems.

Tea just break down and play the game, you will be glad you did. Its worth putting down other games for.

5. frostquake

One of the, if not the Toughest Game on the Wii. After playing the demo, my eyes were bleeding, I was pulling out my Hair, throwing the chained WiiMote at little grannies walking around the store, and begging to have my nails taken out with pliers to remove the pain this game caused me. Even if I was given this game, I would trade it in, without playing it at all. I don’t need that kind of Stress in my Gaming.

6. DeathJynx

I wish nintendo would become a software / peripherals company ONLY. They keep so many franchises I miss on their stupid console.