Cage: Quantic Dream’s two projects are “very different”

Friday, 4th March 2011 09:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Quantic Dream boss David Cage has reiterated at GDC that the French developer is currently working on two new projects, adding that they’re “very different” animals.

Cage wouldn’t get into more specifics about the two games while speaking to CVG.

He first confirmed the studio was working on new stuff last year.

Cage also said that he would like to make a war game with “a different approach”.

“I want to create a genre,” he said. “I want to convince more people that [emotional gaming] is a valid direction for the industry; to show them that this was not just one product, one story. It’s a format that can be used to tell any kind of story in any genre with any tone,” he said.

“I would really like the opportunity to work on a different type of game. I would love to see if what we discovered could be applied to a first-person shooter, for example.”

He added: “A game about war is something I would like to do, just to see if we could get closer to the film side,” then added, “I’m going to work on it. It’s really something I want to do.”

The studio released Heavy Rain last February on PS3, with it going on to sell 1.5 million units. It was said yesterday that 72 percent of players finished the game.

1. Blerk

Is he still working with Sony? Did they make up after the Heavy Rain Move/DLC bust-up?

2. Joe Anderson

I imagine he is, couldn’t really see a game such as Heavy Rain selling on the 360 personally.

3. RandomTiger

@2 Why not?

4. osric90

@3 First, because it wouldn’t run, hahaha.

I hope Quantic’s new games are just as original and excellent as Fahrenheit (I hate having to have the Indigo Prophecy censored as hell one) and Heavy Rain. I can’t wait for more of this excellent, talented and freakin’ brilliant man named David Cage.

5. Xuchilbara

@3 – Its something new and innovative, and not an FPS.

@2 – I also don’t think that Dark Soul’s will sell well on 360, it might sell well actually… But most won’t beat it because it doesn’t hold their hand through out the game.

6. Aimless

I’m not sure why people have this perception that PS3 owners are somehow vastly different to those who have 360s. Black Ops is the best selling game on the former, MW2 on the latter; not exactly a world of difference there.

They’re both pieces of consumer electronics that attract very similar — or as in my and many other cases, identical — customers. Stop trying to turn console ownership into a bigger deal than it is.

Anyway, I’ve a healthy respect for Quantic. They put out heavily flawed games, certainly, but at least they’re interesting and a bit different — that counts for a lot in my book.

7. 2plus2equals5

They are making not one, but TWO games, probably for this reason they don’t make dlcs.
    I really think that one game is for ngp.

8. Toastrules

I remember an interview a long time ago where I think I vaguely remember him saying that he was independent, and he was heavily considering making his next game multiplatform.