NGP media format detailed at GDC

Thursday, 3rd March 2011 12:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony detailed the media format that NGP will use at a panel for the next-gen handheld at GDC last night.

Tentatively known as the NVG card, the flash memory device will come in two storages: 2Gb and 4Gb, with Sony saying both memories will support small and large memories respectively.

Sony also confirmed that the cards will reserve five-to-ten percent of space for save data, patches and more, meaning more space in the internal memory of NGP and making it easier to switch game progress from one device to another.

Get Steph’s full detailed report from last night’s NGP panel through here.

NGP releases later this year for Japan at least. Thanks, IGN.

1. 2plus2equals5

2-4 gb for launch titles, so in future that memory cards could be even with more gbs.

2. Macrike

4Gb = 512MB, or 0.5GB

I highly doubt the cards will have only 512MB of storage capacity. Please edit the article.

3. Crysis

@2, Who cares, no one measures anything in bits except oddly internet speed.

4. HauntaVirus

I’m pretty excited for this new PSP, Nintendo hand helds have never appealed to me and I’m getting tired of ipod games!

5. Gama_888

im sure they meant GB, no need to a be a grammar Nazi xD

is 4GB really going to be enough? how big are the likes of uncharted?
    and wasnt mgs4 something like 50GB?

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wait..

So let’s say I’m to have 15 “NGP” games……that means I will have to keep track of 15 different tiny little memory cards?

Well that sure seems like a step backwards from PSPgo. I have a 16GB internal, and a 16GB external, and I’ve got like 50 games on it and it’s awesome.

Again, this seems like a step backwards to me.

7. DeathJynx

@ #6 I believe pspGO functionality will remain intact, with most, if not all, games being available for virtual download. Any of your previously purchased psn titles will as be backwards compatible.

8. DeathJynx

also*

9. russdude13

@6 Don’t worry, i’m sure Sony will release these games on the PS Store as well for you to download. They just want to appeal to everyone by bringing back physical media and keeping the retailers in the loop.

10. bugmenot

@ Dr.Ghettoblaster
    When NGP was announced they mentioned simultaneous retail and digital releases.

11. Dannybuoy

@5. The textures are smaller and not the resolution of their home based counterparts. I’m sure Sony know what they’re doing ;-)

12. Isaaclarke37

Isn’t 2-4GB are some how small for the amount of games that people will be getting and the storage size of the content?