GDC’s third day is in the can. You want to know the important stuff so you can get on with your life. Look below. Help us help you.
- Nintendo’s Satoru Iwata keynoted GDC yesterday, announcing a Mario game for 3DS, AT&T hotspots for 3DS in the US and an American 3DS Netflix partnership. He also warned that the rise of smartphones could seriously damage the game development industry.
- Apple announced iPad2 last night. It’s much thinner, much more powerful and it’s out in the US next week. Don’t think revealing it directly after Iwata’s keynote was an accident.
- GDC’s main award events took place last night. Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption won the main Game Developers Choice award, while the 2011 Independent Games Festival Awards were dominated by Minecraft and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
- Sony showed off NGP to a packed GDC room yesterday, showing new Uncharted footage, augmented reality features and more.
- Epic showed its new Unreal tech in action at a GDC panel on Wednesday, giving a good look at what to expect from next gen hardware in terms of graphics.
- THQ announced Saints Row: The Third. It’s out this autumn.
- Double Fine’s next game is Trenched, what looks to be a tank-based action title.
- Yu Suzuki won’t shut up about bloody Shenmue III. Sega would “probably” let him make it, he said yesterday. Pro tip: this only happens in a reality far removed from our own.
There. Now go forth and multiply, or whatever else it is you do.