Wed, Mar 02, 2011 | 10:37 GMT
Wednesday shorts, part 1: GDC panel bits, Rift launch trailer, much more
There’s a metric fuck-ton of smaller stories heading out of GDC and opportunists piggy-backing the show. Skim this lot.
- TVGB’s got a Rift launch trailer. The Trion MMO went live in the US yesterday and will hit the UK and Europe this week. It looks very cool, it has to be said.
- BioWare’s been talking at GDC about localizing The Old Republic. There’s a big thing on Gama.
- Press-stopper: Dragon Age 2′s campaign is shorter than Origins and longer than Mass Effect, BioWare has told PSU. Via EG.
- Psychiatrist Carole Lieberman, the lady that linked rape with Bulletstorm, has had her books Amazon-bombed by disgruntled gamers. Lesson: don’t link rape with Bulletstorm? More on Forbes.
- Cryptic’s posted its latest letter on the state of Champions Online, detailing C-Store changes and more. This is the first update since the MMO went free-to-play.
- IGN’s got a playtest on Death Rally, the iOS remake of Alan Wake-developer Remedy’s first PC game.
- Monaco developer Andy Schatz has told GDC how working on the game and winning the IGF Award in 2010 pulled him out of depression.
- Japanese devs have been spewing off against NGP’s potentially high price. 1UP has that.
- Capcom’s launched a competition to see who can make the best Dead Rising 2 video edit. Enter on Unity.
- Cloud gaming service OnLive is adding Deus Ex and other Square Enix titles to its flat-rate service. There’s a press release on Joystiq.
- Zoo Entertainment’s announced Fireburst, a $10 racer involving burning cars. There are screens and a video on Joystiq.
- Author and designer Jane McGonigal has warned GDC not to “exploit” gamers. “We’re better than that,” apparently. That’s on Gama.
- Daniel Cook, co-founder of Triple Town developer Spry Fox, has warned developers that platforms come, go, and inevitably abuse developers. Gama‘s got that, too.
- There’s a God Eater Burst anime trailer on Gamespot.
- Duke Nukem Forever has been rated M by the ERSB. Never saw that coming. Gamesradar has more on that.
- Dynasty Warriors 7 has been delayed by four days in the US. There’s a reason we do these round-ups. More on Destructoid.
- Raph Koster’s been philosophizing at GDC about how social games are really single-player games. Read that on Industrygamers, if you dare.
- There are some Japanese ads for 3DS’s Steel Diver on GoNintendo.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution contains a poster for Final Fantasy 27. This sort of this gets us up in the morning. Laugh all the way to Siliconera.
- “Resident Evil Mercenaries VS. prologue Beta Now Available In Canada,” says Unity. We’re not going to argue.