“No other engine” can make Battlefield 3, says DICE

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011 15:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Frostbite 1 was a decent engine. Wasn’t half-bad. Used for Bad Company 1 and 2. But DICE waited until Frostbite 2 came along before Battlefield 3 could really get going So why is that, executive producer Patrick Bach?

“The short answer is this: No other engine can build a Battlefield game,” Bach told Joystiq at last night’s EA showcase at GDC.

“If you don’t have the right tech, you can’t build the right experience. The Frostbite engine is solely created to make Battlefield games.”

Bach insists that while authenticity is key in games, the fun is the main point. If there’s no fun, don’t bother.

“Authenticity is very important for all Battlefield games … but it’s always fun first. If it’s not fun, then there’s no point,” he said.

A new engine for Battlefield 4 seems to be unlikely, though.

“I think we learned by experimenting with these other things that the core is quite powerful. We should probably spend more energy on the core than on these experimental things.

Steph seen Battlefield 3 last night. Get her impressions here. And then watch the amazing trailer. Game’s out this fall.

1. Erthazus

I believe them. What i saw was a spectacular work of engineers, art designers and physic engineers.

and this is just the beggining. Soon they are going to show us Destruction and vehicles. Holy mother…

My PC is ready for this damn FPS. + direct X11 support with tesselation and other stuff. That is awesome.

2. Toastrules

My PC is ready. I’m sorry Ps3, but i’m putting this disk in my PC.

Now to get a couple RAM sticks…

3. DSB

Definitely picked the right time to upgrade my GFX card.

I hope the destruction goes a bit further with the new engine. I just don’t see the point in the “gutting” system they used with the old one. It just looked pretty stupid to see an entire wall being taken out without any of the flooring seeming to mind :P

4. Maximum Payne

I love how they say:best engine for Battlefield, instead of Crytek who say:Cryengine is best engine bla bla…I just hope after Battlefield 3 more developers would follow DICE choice to maximum support PC version.

5. Crysis

More destructive cover please, hate shooting at thin walls with nothing more than chips flying out.

6. Grimrita

hmmm, I dont remember there being bullet proof leaves, over sized hit boxes in warfare. Oh well.

Although Frostshite looked good, it essentially was an awful engine when it comes down to it. Either that, or DICE were just too lazy to iron out the stupid bugs that spoil, what could otherwise be an excellent fps experience.

7. blackdreamhunk

yea pc gaming destroys consoles

can’t for battlefield 3 hahahah :)

8. MushroomStamp

I’m so done with boring military “realistic” shooters. I don’t see buying any of them for years to come. Gears 3 is the only shooter I’ll get this year.

9. OrbitMonkey

Over rated shooter is over rated. Havn’t seen this much pc gushing since the last Crysis article. “ooooh let me upgrade my rig xx”. *Yawn*

10. Hellequin

Yeah, i like DICE and i like Battlefield, but… im very tired of those – always the same – shooters, there are NO difference between them. Just a few poor people that never has a decent PC to play FPS and buy it to consoles…

11. thesamy

im waiting for this game but thay disapoint us
    when thay say that this time there will not be a mod kit.