Dragon Age 2 trailer introduces The Exiled Prince

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011 21:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Don’t ask me why BioWare has stuck Dragon Age II DLC up on the console networks a week before release – you can’t play it. But this trailer for The Exiled Prince maybe explains why I rushed off to buy it anyway.

The titular Exiled Prince is one Sebastian Vael, an extra companion for Hawke and co, with a funny haircut but a dramatic backstory.

“Sworn to the priesthood as a boy, the noble archer Sebastian Vael is thrust back into the viper’s nest of princely politics when his family is brutally murdered, leaving him as the sole surviving heir. Choose to either avenge Sebastian’s murdered family and reclaim his title or direct his holy vengeance on your enemies in Kirkwall.”

For the really keen, the DLC’s official mini-site is hosting a short story about Vael, penned by BioWare lead writer, David Gaider.

See the trailer below.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. DSB

Don’t miss your chance to buy this exclusive content that the developers have ripped straight out of the release build of your game!

Damn I miss the days when developers would actually put a bit of effort into making a real expansion, instead of taking out and reselling finished content.

Stop the madness, for seriously. As much as I loved the last Dragon Age, the DLC was pretty much blackmail. Playing without Shale makes as much sense as playing Mass Effect without Garrus.

2. Moonwalker1982

I can see your point and agree, but at the same time we’re talking about a game that is no doubt already chockful of everything. Long game,lots of sidequests, plenty of things to do. So i guess we can’t really complain, but this IS rather unnessecary. It would have been a nice gesture if they simply gave away the DLC for free…or basically as you said, keep it in the game and not mention it and work on some real DLC after the release.

I apreciate what Rockstar did after RDR’s release, they released a new mission pack for free, and it was quite a fun one too. Other devs should take note.

3. RockTwist

It’s the content you’ll get free if you pre-ordered the Signature edition.

4. Moonwalker1982

Yeah, but at the end of the day that version costs more than the normal version.

5. Zurtech

Nah Signature Ed was just time limited, was standard price. £25.

6. RockTwist

@4 Anyone who pre-ordered before a certain time got upgraded to Signature Edition free.

“We are very pleased to announce the Dragon Age II Signature Edition.

This limited edition of Dragon Age II will be available at no extra cost for gamers who pre-order Dragon Age II before January 11, 2011. Featuring over $20 of additional content, the Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition includes the full version of Dragon Age II, along with a download code for an additional playable character and new missions, the Dragon Age II digital soundtrack, an exclusive in-game digital armory featuring a variety of in-game weapons and other digital in-game items.

The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition will only be available for pre-order and online purchase on or before January 11, 2011.

For more information, please check out the Signature Edition page here: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/order/

Posted by Chris Priestly (Bioware) on the Bioware forums.

7. Moonwalker1982

Ah yes my bad, i was just too late with preordering it. Ah well, no hurry. I just received my DAO: Ultimate Edition (because of all the DLCs) for a very very nice price. No reason to pick up DA2 yet at all.

8. Phoenixblight

@DSB

You may feel like its that way but its not the Exiled Prince couldn’t be finished in time when content on the Disc is locked so they moved the Prince to be on the DLC pipline which can be worked on until the end of this week. If we didn’t have DLC Zaeed, Shale and Sebastian wouldn’t see the light of day. Also Expansions are not as profitable as DLC thats why developers are going that route.

Bioware has gone in detail in forums about the process of Sebastian and the entire DLC process. They have no reason to lie hell if they wanted to they could just not make any comments like most developers do.

9. Aimless

Unfortunately I couldn’t get the Signature Edition on account of buying the game through a little known digital delivery service; it’s called Steam or something, I doubt you’ve heard of it.

10. Zurtech

Was prolly EA’s decision, I had been keepin my eye on Steam for a DA2 Sig Ed, and they didn’t have it on steam for pre-order until the 12th of Jan. Only digital Signature Ed was on the EA store and that was about £5-10 more than the disk version from Game.

11. DSB

@8 Yeah, nice try.

Developers had no problem locking down their games before the dawning of DLC, and the notion that you couldn’t in fact add these characters in due time before going gold paints a picture of developers that are so ridiculously incompetent and disorganized, that I don’t think they’d appreciate that defence, themselves.

“Oh shit, last minute character idea – Quickly, push to DLC!” – That’s not how things are done, and I’m pretty sure you know that. This is just business strategy, not doing folks a favor.

Sadly you’re right that DLC is more profitable because essentially it provides fragments of what would otherwise have evolved into expansions. You might not have everyone buying your expansion, but everyone can afford a bitesize piece of one.

The problem is that the DLC component ends up as fragmented narratively as it does economically. It’s nowhere near the old days where you’d actually add to a coherent storyline.

I can see the point in adding wheels and cogs to a multiplayer game, or one with procedural generation, but in terms of latching onto a story it just doesn’t work.

Take any book you like, read the ending again. Then try to write another 20 pages to latch on to that ending. That’s what singleplayer DLC is; It’s just mindless greed.

12. Michael O’Connor

@11 Your post is both factually sound and full of egotistical ignorance in equal measure.

@9′s point about game’s content being significantly cut is entirely true. There are dozens of games (especially RPGs) where entire characters, plot threads and even locations were cut from the game due to time constraints. It has absolutely nothing to do with “incompetence”.

@9′s point is consistently true. BUT. But it’s blatantly obvious that *this* particular content has simply been removed from the full game in order to be pawned off as DLC.

I can safely say that latter DLC won’t be stuff that was simply ripped from the game. Witch Hunt for Dragon Age for instance was clearly new content, and not something that was simply removed from the original game.

13. Aimless

@10 I believe both Direct2Drive and Impulse also ‘stocked’ the Signature Edition.

@11 I think you’re rather missing Phoenixblight’s point: if it wasn’t DLC the content would never have gotten made.

Personally I think day-one paid DLC is bad from an image perspective if nothing else, but there’s a pretty big difference between being stripped from a game and cut because it won’t make it in under your budgets. When a game’s wrapping up you have a lot of content producers — texture artists, modellers, animators, etc. — who are going to be more or less twiddling their thumbs during the polish period unless they move on to something else. It’s becoming quite common for those people to roll straight into DLC whilst the main game is being banged into a shippable state.

Games have always had decent content cut from them, the only difference nowadays is that we often see it make a reappearance in downloadable form, allowing us to complain about being ripped off.

14. DSB

I get that much Aimless, I’m just not convinced that that’s the case.

Studios don’t get paid by the character – They get a budget and then it’s all about managing your time and resources over a certain timeframe to make the game you want to make, with the characters you want in it. Whether DLC actually plays into that ammount or that timeframe, is only known by those privy to the initial agreement, but like I pointed out, people were making games that were chock full of content before anyone even thought of DLC.

The notion that DLC somehow uniquely allows developers the funding and time to finish their games, or fully furnish them with characters, is complete lunacy. They didn’t have that problem before.

@12 Of course. Development isn’t without chaos. Things go wrong, things get cut, and sometimes dramatically so. However, if you aren’t fully capable of locking in and prioritizing the stories and characters you want in a game before the point of no return (probably fairly early in development, depending on the company) then you’re making yourself look like you don’t know what you’re doing.

I can’t even imagine a company with Bioware’s expertise getting overwhelmed by something like that.

In terms of discarded content, personally I fail to see the value of the scraps they pick up off the cutting room floor. Especially once the story has already passed it by. That’s just personal preference, obviously, but as in the example with the book, I don’t see how it will ever compliment a narrative to attach sideplots after the end credits.

15. Dralen

I totally agree that it’s bullshit that they’ve left this out of the final build of the game. But…I’m so pumped for this game I can barely contain myself. I want it now.

16. abbe

@9 You and me both.
    Its a shame that they couldn’t reach an agreement during the 3 months the deal was on, until the day AFTER the deal ended, but I guess that is life:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5701402/2#5701840 Just like Chris, spreading the usual message that complaints will be quieted.

Then Fernando Melo comes in with some words explaining the situation:
    So we started asking for an extension of the deal:
    And finally Chris again, stopping us from voicing our displeasure:

Yes, harsh words were said, but the timing of the end of the deal and the Steam pre-order were just too close to be coincidental and people reacted accordingly.

So, in response to this I will not be purchasing DA2 until I can get the soundtrack and Exiled Prince for a reasonable price (so I wont have to pay more than what the pre-purchase would have cost). So that means… in about a year or two.

IF anyone wonder why I am so adamant about buying it on Steam: Its because I have abandoned physical shelves for games. Many of my old favourite games have come up on Steam and thus I have bought them again. I also do not like to spread my money around everywhere and on different services, and this is reflected in the value of my steam account: http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/abbe/eu