Devil May Cry film rights acquired by Resident Evil studio

Tuesday, 1st March 2011 01:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Screen Gems, the speciality studio behind the Resident Evil series, has nabbed the film rights to the Devil May Cry franchise.

Variety reports the studio has hired Kyle Ward to write the script; according to IMDB, Ward is also behind an upcoming Kane & Lynch adaptation.

Screen Gems is the logical home for the series for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its success with Resident Evil, which has grossed $580 million worldwide. The most recent offering, Resident Evil: Afterlife, took in nearly $300 million.

Fellow Capcom franchise Devil May Cry began life as a Resident Evil spin-off, and Screen Gems is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures, which seems nice and neat given the first game’s status as a PlayStation 2 classic.

The new film will join an anime series, manga and toy lines in the Devil May Cry licensed family.

Thanks, Capcom-Unity.

1. YoungZer0

This is probably the worst news since the birth of the anti-christ.

2. ManBearPig

ohh my jesus what has the world come to?

3. Tamo123

They can’t fuck it up anymore than Resident Evil, they ran that series into the ground epically. Then again, the US movie studies surprise me every time with how low they can go… I.e. It’s going to be awful and make me never want to play another DMC game again, it happened to me with RE.

4. DuckOfDestiny

Well look on the bright side, at least it didn’t go to Uwe Boll.

5. neon6

6. MrRight

The only way this could be really really bad is if they had Uwe Boll direct it with an emo-Dante lead.

Anyways, I’ll see the trailer before I make a decision to watch it.

7. Schindet Nemo

Nerdrage…. rising …

8. SplatteredHouse

A Devil May Cry movie? Get started on that epicness, now! :D

9. KrazyKraut

First this
    d449-459b-94c2-0025f848a3b4.jpg

Second this news here.

Wtf is going on??? Why is Capcom allowing shiity companies to butch their awesome IPs?

The birth of the anti-christ was good news
    When its funny like Bolls Postal movies, then I had no problem with that^^

10. osric90

Prepare for Twilight with demons and swords.