Vagrant Story to arrive on the US PSN this week

Monday, 28th February 2011 21:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Vastly underrated PSOne classic Vagrant Story is hitting the US PlayStation Network at last. Ring out the bells.

According to the US PS Blog, the dungeon-crawling RPG will set you back $5.99 when it releases in this week’s console update.

It’s been a long time coming; we last heard the game was on its way in November. Of 2009.

A dark fantasy RPG with strangely Shakespearean localization and a deep, confusing system of weapon upgrade and customisation, Vagrant Story was released in 2000 to slow-burn critical acclaim and record-breaking sales. It’s the delicious brain child of Yasumi Matsuno, later of Final Fantasy XII and Tactics Ogre fame. Well worth a look. Let’s hear it for the EU PSN please, Square Enix.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Phoenixblight

And I am done. I will have all the PSone collection that I have lost from the years with moving, horrible room mates etc. Fan-freaking-Tastic!

2. lexph3re

BUYiNG IT!!

3. Bloodyghost

I never played this game. Sorry to be a drag but imo I have no intentions to either.

4. fortelv999

day one :D

5. HighWindXIX

I already have the original version and I hacked it onto my PSP years ago but this is still an immediate purchase! Easily one of my favorite games ever. Even if I don’t play it, I would gladly pay for it again just so that maybe SE will get the hint and make a spiritual successor or just turn Matsuno loose to make some more masterpieces…

6. YoungZer0

Finally. The best PSX game is coming to PSN.

7. DaMan

the best Squaresoft PSX game, period.

8. OrbitMonkey

Much appreciated fan service or shameless milking of starry eyed nostalgics?

9. DaMan

a great opportunity for those who haven’t played it back in the days perhaps.

10. Kerplunk

Worth it, if only to witness the best stone-cold one-liner ever rendered in a videogame (3:40 onwards)