UK charts: Killzone 3 beats Bulletstorm to be number one

Monday, 28th February 2011 09:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Chart-Track’s just confirmed that Sony shooter Killzone 3 has beaten off Epic’s Bulletstorm to become the new UK number one.

But despite that, Killzone 2 is the better game than its sequel in terms of first-week sell-through in the UK.

The People Can Fly shooter enters the charts at two, ahead of Black Ops at three. The rest of the top five is completed by FIFA 11 and Just Dance 2.

Full top ten for the week ending February 26 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Killzone 3 (Guerrilla Games, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  2. Bulletstorm (People Can Fly/Epic Games, EA)
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Treyarch, Activision)
  4. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)
  5. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  6. Dead Space 2 (Visceral Games, EA)
  7. Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, Capcom)
  8. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Criterion Games, EA)
  9. Wii Party (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  10. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)

1. mojo

from what i can read troughout forums here and there: deserved.

2. Joe Anderson

Totally and utterly deserved, Bulletstorm is nothing but hype and in a month’s time it’ll be lining CEX shelves. Killzone 3 on the other hand is a keeper.

3. Erthazus

I’m playing both games and i like Bulletstorm much more at least in campaign.

Campaign in the Killzone 3 is a generic Call Of duty style of campaign with the Modern Warfare 2 STORY.

Modern Warfare 2 and Killzone 3 have great story for people who are uneducated and know shit. Plot there is in the level like: Russians attacked US because they found dead CIA in Sheremetyevo. Same shit here.

Bulletstorm campaign is much better, but it’s god damn 5-6 hours only =\
    But Killzone 3 multiplayer takes the cake. Really good maps, kinda dissapointed that they stripped classes compared to the second game.

Overall both of them are OK products.

4. Johnny Cullen

I’m of the opposite, actually. I finished it last night and I wasn’t quite impressed as I was with Killzone 2.

On the other hand, I played a couple of acts of Bulletstorm. Quite honestly, Act 2, Chapter 3 should be given a medal for being one of the best levels ever.

So basically, the game I thought I would like is the one I don’t. And the one I thought I wouldn’t like is the one I do like.

What a world.

5. Erthazus

OK producs, i mean well packed. Enjoyable, but not awesome, or epic.
    Maybe for some fratboy who started playing games this generation thats awesome.

6. YoungZer0

@3: Please explain to me how the story of Killzone 3 has any similarity to the one from MW2? KZ3′s story is not as good as expected, but it’s nowhere near as stupid or plot-hole-ridden as the story of MW2. Also you should stop using the word fratboy. While it was fun the first 2 times, it’s becoming pretty stale now. I know you feel the urge to insult everyone who doesn’t share your opinion, but just leave it. It makes you look mature.

To Topic: Well deserved, i really like KZ3. While the story has a REALLY slow pacing and the jumping between 6 months doesn’t really serve a purpose, the action and campaign itself is a lot of fun. Just missing something innovative. Wonder how the series will progress after the end of Killzone 3.

Bulletstorm … nah, i don’t know. I’m all for immature humour, but this game made me chuckle only twice. Most of the jokes fall flat really hard. Either that or Ishi is there to destroy the mood. They should’ve made more testing sessions, since the character of Ishi really destroys any fun you might have. The gun play is fun though. Love sliding from one enemy to the next. That is if Ishi is not busy standing in your way.

Absolutely shitty Friendly AI.

7. FabioPal

Well, Killzone has multiplayer, Bulletstorm actually doesn’t.

So KZ will sell more, period ;)

Btw I’m playing BS, but I did never play KZ, this said: I’m in LOVE with BS!

And I agree with Johnny, Act 2, Chapter 3 should be given a medal!

8. Erthazus

@6, there are a lot of plotholes in the game. I can’t remember particularly, but it’s at the same level as in Modern Warfare 2.
    Characters are also not… Good.

@7, “Act 2, Chapter 3 should be given a medal!”

It’s that chapter where big giant wheel wants to destroy our ass?

9. YoungZer0

@8: You don’t even remember one? Come back when you remember them. Because i can remember every plothole from MW2. And there are a lot.

10. Crysis

I think KZ3 maybe the first game I order from overseas, anyone know which retailer has the best price & still has cheap postage overseas?
    I think GAME-UK costs £5 postage which is about the same as ordering from another state within Australia.

11. Hell-Raiser-85

They are both great games. Shame there no MP in Bulletstorm only co-op.

@9 Take your scaming ass somewhere else.

12. Crysis

Once a mod deletes that, your comment will be aimed at me D=

13. YoungZer0

@11: Excuse me, who are you?

14. Dralen

@Erthazus

Totally 100% agree. Really enjoying both games though.

15. OrbitMonkey

*sigh*

16. Cozzy

@Erathzus

I don’t agree that there are plot holes n KIllzone 3 and certainly not to the standard of MW2, ok the plot isn’t exactly brilliant and a little far-fetched but it’s a sci-fi fps, It’s not supposed to be realistic. I totally agree with you on the multiplayer though. I just wish they had more maps for the OPerations mode because as good as it is, it gets repetitive after a while.

17. typeface

Finished the SP of KZ3 and it was alright. I mean there’s directions they could’ve gone with the story but it’s not terrible. The MP should last a while.

But here’s a few things I guess no one even noticed. Kirby’s Epic Yarn debuted this week and was not even in the top 40 individual titles. It was number 9 on the Wii charts though. Seeing that DKCR is 37 it probably means it was 40s I guess.

What’s sad and amusing is that in the individual top 40 Mario Kart DS is still present at 40.

Bulletstorm’s not really going to do extremely well. EA simply put is not doing that well with their titles. It’s not that their games are bad but the online pass and things like that do resonate with some consumers. DS2 sales here were probably on par with DS1 and that’s holiday vs start of the year sales. (Then again people have been buying less in the UK, if Primark sees a drop in sales in 2011 (which they’ve indicated) it’s quite telling). I’m pretty sure that we’ll see the game drop in price in a few weeks. However I believe Dragon Age 2 should do well 2 weeks from now. Though if I were EA what I would do is cross promote Dragon Age 2 with the Game of Thrones HBO show. Advertise it in that slot. (Sure it’s a different market but people who like one medieval fantasy generally like another.)

Next week will probably be a Pokemon week I guess. 2 weeks from then I’ll be curious to see if Homefront will be received well here. I get the feeling that despite being a shooter (unless the game is actually good) the content will be met with a similar indifference that Cloverfield faced. Certain things don’t resonate well despite market similarities. Yakuza 4 should see the same. Motorstorm: Apocalypse could do well I suppose (but that’s usually a slowburn title).

Personally I finished KZ3 and it was alright, should dive into the MP soon. Epic Yarn has been a lot of fun. And a really early copy of Neptunia arrived which has taken some of my time. I’ll be honest while the gameplay confuses initially it’s worth sticking around for the things it makes fun of about the game industry. Part of me wishes that I could’ve waited for the pricedrop. it’s insane when a company sends you a game a whole week before release and even more insane that you get it on a Saturday.

p.s I feel particularly sorry for de Blob 2 that despite retailers cutting the price and it being multiplatform it barely made a dent in the charts. Hear it’s average too. We need a new retail category for games that people are willing to buy after a price drop. A £20/28 category apart from the £45-55 one.

18. Crysis

@15, I guess that maybe a part of the appeal of Master Chief and ’6′ in the Halo series, while they may grunt or say the odd word in cut scenes, but they’re generally quite & not a war craving maniac.

19. Cozzy

Personally I dislike it when the character(s) you play as don’t speak because it makes me feel as if the character isn’t real and just a shell. I want to see the player reacting to the situation and not just stand there silently as people die etc. It’s like in Halo ODST when your squad leader or something asks you what your name is and all of a sudden something happens that stops you saying it. I fnd it really annoying and sorry if this is a bit of a rant.

20. Crysis

@19 I completely agree, I like to feel engaged with the character, but stereotypes get boring.

21. YoungZer0

@19: Absolutely agree with you. Which is exactly why i’ll never fall in love with the Half-Life Serious. Or any game with a silent Protagonist.

It’s just stupid. Alyx talks to you, and you just stand there. Like some fucking Mental Patient in a Bathrobe. „You’re not the talkative type.”

That pulls me out everytime! You sit there, the whole world talks to you, and you never react. Never. How is that possible? It would be cool it Gordon’s tongue got cut out or something, but it isn’t. So why is he so quite?!

22. YoungZer0

Good example is the new Isaac. He doesn’t really have a personality, but it serves the game, he interacts. I feel like i’m part of this.

23. psybass

Bulletstorm is an amazing game! killing with skill is way more fun!
    ahh and someone know how did the sells go for Bulletstorm pc Compare to consoles?

24. Hybridpsycho

Do people still take Erthazus seriously? I stopped doing that a long time ago XD

25. Crysis

@23, Probably less than 10% total retail sales were on pc, less than 20% including digital distribution, assuming that digital vs retail is still around 60%(digital)/40%(retail).

26. loki

Hell yeah! Sometimes good games win, mediocre lose. British gamers, i proud you. Game industry have a chance

27. ManuOtaku

Well i got the two, just waiting for the arrival, i know i will like the two, the same as i like, halo and battlefield, therefore liking one is not detriment for not liking the other, i suppose.

28. NeoSquall

I’m positively impressed that Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 ramped the first two positions in the chart after just 1 day from release.

29. Robo_1

Congrats to Sony and Guerilla for landing the top spot, and congrats to EA and People Can Fly for landing the second.

Both excellent, crazy games, and both deserve every ounce of success afforded them.

30. mojo

17:
    what was with cloverfield?
    could you explain?

31. spiderLAW

Killzone 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bulletstorm
    I loved KZ3 campaign and i love its multiplayer even more.

Bulletstorm got really boring after Chapter 3 Act 1… I dont understand the above’s love for Act 2 in Chapter 3. Nothing about that level stood out to me.

32. psybass

Crysis@ yeah though so to
    FabioPal@ This game has MP (didn’t tried though, I’m dying fast in MP)
    Johnny Cullen@ there isn’t such a thing act 2 chapter 3, in act 2 there only 2 chapters. and if you asking for my opinion, act 5 chapter 3 getting the medal!

33. Gadzooks!

I picked up Bulletstorm on Friday.

It’s bonkers, brilliant, gorgeous looking and the reports of a 5 hour campaign are totally bogus. I’m 7 hours in at least with a whole chapter to go. Add time attack and horde modes and it’s got plenty of legs.

The campaign set pieces are spectacular. A highlight for me was controlling a giant robotic missile spewing dinosaur for most of a level. Just awesome.

Don’t be fooled into thinking Bulletstorm is The Club 2.0, it has a crazy fun campaign, and skill kills are excelently integrated. Basically the more flair you play with the more points you get to upgrade your weapons and kill with even more flair!

Thoroughly recommended.

34. Jensen6

bam!
    killzone 3 is the best shooter on PS3 I believe … totally deserved

35. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Killzone 3 is damn impressive – I will agree to that.

Haven’t played Bulletstorm yet, but I’ll definitley give it a rental soon.

36. sony_sucks