Slightly Mad: We want to turn sim genre on its head with Shift 2

Monday, 28th February 2011 11:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Slightly Mad’s Andy Tudor has said it’s aiming to revolutionize car sims with Shift 2: Unleashed.

“The simulation genre, really, is just a numbers game at the moment; it’s all about, ‘We’ve got the greatest physics engine, and we’re going to add 1,000 cars, tracks etcetera.’ It’s quite a dry experience,” the Shift 2 lead designer told The Guardian at its recent Gamesblog Live event.

“We want to turn that on its head, by adding in social features, such as Autolog, for example: which lets you compete with your friends, even if they’re not online right now. But having that thing, where I can see all your lap times, and spend half an hour or an hour trying just to beat you is great.”

Tudor added further that competition Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motorsport 3 were “numbers” games.

“I’ve gone on record before saying GT5 and Forza are on pedestals at the moment: everyone believes they are the games to beat,” he said.

“They have great products, but they stop at being a numbers game, a mathematical simulation of great physics, whereas we go beyond that with the emotional and social aspects.”

Shift 2 releases on March 29 in the US and April 1 in the UK for PS3 and 360. Watch the latest footage for it here.

1. Erthazus

butt hurts so much i guess.

2. YoungZer0

Wow, social aspect. Really revolutionary.

3. Razor

This guy sounds like an idiot.

4. Michael O’Connor

You want to revolutionise the genre by using someone else’s idea? Nicely done.

Shift 1 was a great game. The problem was that it was housed in an incredibly bare-bones package. It was sterile. You’re going to need more than Autolog to fix that.

5. OlderGamer

Not sure what folks are complaining about. Sure this guy is a bit of a tool, but most PR types are.

IMO, Shift > Forza and GT.

Shift was playable and fun w/o the frustration. I never felt like I was fighting the physics instead of other cars. Racing, real racing is about the cars on the track. The driving comes naturaly, you either can do it or you can’t. Its like putting the focus on running in a soccer game. The action there should be on the strategy and going-ons on the field. The game assumes your avatar/char has the basic knowledge of running, jumping, passing, and shooting. Shift did that.

A serious racer that put the focus on racing. I liked that.

6. Keivz

Those are bold statements he makes. I loved Shift 1 but admit the presentation and track selection were lacking. I’ll be getting Shift 2 regardless but here’s hoping they’ve really improved upon things.

7. mathare92

You can’t really compare Shift to Forza or even GT. There’s always going to be a strong hint of arcadiness in a Need for Speed game.

8. OlderGamer

“And the whole thing about sims like GT being “sterile” is just bullshit if you ask me. The guys at PD (Yamauchi obviously comes to mind) wouldn’t be making these games if they didn’t have a serious passion for cars and motorsports, and it’s reflected in the games.”

What you call Arcady, many will call “able to handle/control”.

And a passion for games doesn’t make it fun. Sometimes you have to give the people/gamers what they want. GT/forza aren’t going anywhere. But NFS Hot Pursuit will outsell forza and GT. Shift bridges the gap(and there is a hella gap) between the so called Sim and Arcade racers.

But really you need to seperate hard to control from the word Sim. What are you trying to sim? The driving/handling or the on track racing? There is a difference.

When I play Madden NFL, I don’t have to worry about fighting the games engine to make sure my QB can run. Instead I can focus on the game of football. That is all most people want out of a racer.

They want a fun, flashy, easy to control game they can enjoy. Most average gamers won’t want to slid off of the track in every corner, or spin out from just hitting the gas, or worse race perfectly only to have the guy behind you purposfuly tap your bumper to send you spinning and you lose online.

Heck even when AI won’t adjust their lines, when you clearly have position, and colide with you causing you to lose control with zero fault to you… what the hell is the game is simming again?

And the other thing is why should gamers have to pick between Mario Kart/Burnout or GT/Forza? If the gamer wants a realistic feeling and serious racer without the arcade gameplay(Red shells, big air jumps, etc) shouldn’t their be a choice?

I love Shift for that. Racing, no BS. Yet racing I can control in game with a 16 button piece of plastic in my hand. Gotta keep in mind these are video games. Nobody should be fooled with the word Sim and Video Games.

I have spent time on tracks and behind wheels, no not that EU stuff. But I can tell you I never have to think or fight with a real wheel when racing. Never. It comes as naturaly to a racer as running does to an athlete. Imagine having to time both anolog sticks back and forth in order to get your player to run(to sim the movement of his legs) in your next soccer game. Just plan silly.

I have said it before, will say it again. Harder then hell to control racers are by design. It keeps the need for fewer cars on track. It thins out the field in an online game. It creates the feeling of acomplishment for the elite few.

Unfortuantly it also alienates a large mass of the would be race game buying public. Thats why we see so many racers today come with an range of driver assists. Shift does that well btw. Set the driver assists to none and give it a spin. Another amazing game is the newer F1 from Coddies last season.

Those games bridge that gap between the piece of plastic in my hands to the action in the game. At the same time if you want the “sim” experience, you can do that.