YouTube video shows R4 use on 3DS

Saturday, 26th February 2011 19:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

3Ds has only been on sale in Japan since yesterday, and supposedly it has already been “hacked” to use R4 cards.

According to a tipster of D’toid’s, a YouTube video has been posted showing an R4 card running on the new handhled.

So far, 3DS’ software has only been bypassed to allow for old DS R4 cards, but it will probably only be a matter of time before the entire thing is “hacked” wide open.

Hopefully, this is the last bit of hacking news we’ll post for you today.

1. Psychotext

Oooops

2. Erthazus

Too fast :D

3. Gama_888

pathetic, why are nintendo still aloud to make consoles?

still cant wait to see how the things selling, iv still not even seen one running

4. Crab of Thunder

Surely Nintendo are gonna do something about that? This hacking business really is bull crap.

5. Erthazus

“Surely Nintendo are gonna do something about that?”

Yes, they will say: Don’t pirate dear customers!

6. ruckus

Permission to make consoles? WTF is up with everybody lately – this lame fanboyish angst towards hacking is getting so fucking boring.

7. Redh3lix

Nintendo’s over inflated prices more than make up for any piracy shenanigans.

I’m no pirate btw, and never have pirated.

8. OrbitMonkey

I wonder how many people are waiting for it to be properly hacked before buying the console? Hell every person I know who has a ds, has a r4 card.

9. OrbitMonkey

@5 Lol, yeah ” don’t pirate us, pirate Sony! They stole your linux!” :D

10. TheWulf

Blargh.

I must be some kind of idiot then for owning an AceKard and having a sizable DS collection (the latest addition being Ghost Trick).

Why would I have an AceKard if I’m not an evil pirate, then? Oh, I don’t know…

1. Having roms of games i own means that I don’t have to cart around 20some games with me.
    2. I really like following DS ports. Knytt Stories DS is awesome. (I wish the DS port of Cave Story would be completed, but at least there’s a PSP one of that.)
    3. Why mangle comic books when I can read them digitally? I keep stuff like my Astounding Wolfman collection pristine and read them digitally, usually on different handhelds.
    4. I have a sizable collection of webcomics, for something to have a bit of fun reading when I’m traveling.
    5. Before I got a better device for it, I used the DS for IRC, and I know plenty of others have, too.
    6. ScummVM DS is awesome. I recently bought Fate of Atlantis on Steam because my CD gave up the ghost, and I now play that on my DS. The DS is a great format to play adventure games with (touchscreen and all).

And so on, and so on.

Hacking and/or homebrew devices don’t necessarily imply piracy.

11. Strife91

Didn’t they say that 3DS would have the most sophisticated anti-piracy security? ^^

12. Crab of Thunder

@9 I see your point but i’m pretty sure theres some malicious intent in the R4 card.

13. Gekidami

Jeesh, i bet Nintendo didnt try anything to fix the problem. I’d say its because they know it probably helped sell a few DS’ but i’m pretty sure Nintendo was just to lazy to fix it. Making as little effort as possible is how they roll these days.

14. Gama_888

@6 pirates are destroying this industry
    who the hell wants to make a game for it just to be robbed from you and all your hard work gone.

nintendo almost dodge this because they sell mostly first party stuff and make a killing on hardware. And for a console to come out with almost no security is embaressing, im sure it will only be a day or two before its playing 3ds games aswell.
    I wonder how capcom will feel about having SSF43d thrown out the window?

15. bugmenot

now that’s what i call backward compatibility!

16. Mike Honcho

wow …. effin pirates.

17. mojo

“Granted, this means only older DS games can be backed up with the card, while the 3DS side of things is still safe. For now.”

judging by nintendos incometence on that sector shown in the last years (thexy made the axact same mistake they made with the gamecube again on the wii. The EXACT SAME) it cant take long.

18. Hunam

You can get scummVM on DS?

I need to check that out.

19. TheWulf

One could say that there’s some malicious intent in a rake, as you could use it to kill someone, despite it having other and more practical uses.

The problem isn’t the device itself but rather what some people choose to do with it. And the fact that it’s easier to pirate games on the DS than it is to buy them is an issue.

This is why piracy figures are going down on the PC at the moment. Prices on Steam are reasonable and it’s easier to do than piracy, therefore people are opting to be honest. Valve are really onto something here and figures will only continue to drop as they master their field.

Attacking hardware isn’t the way to go, nor is attacking hackers, but instead you need to ensure that your prices are reasonable and that your service is easy to use. If you have that then you’ll do really well in spite of pirates.

I mean, despite the direct download competition on the PC, Valve is quickly approaching on PSN sale numbers. They’re doing that because they’ve figured out how to coexist with piracy to a point where they’re making piracy completely irrelevant. But that’s Valve for you. They realise that having a PC doesn’t make someone a pirate. Despite what some might think.

And likewise, owning a card for the DS doesn’t make one a pirate either. It’s what you do with it that counts. What we can’t do here is muddy up intent and capability. Just because the capability exists it doesn’t automatically invite the intent. Nintendo just need to sort out their exorbitantly inflated prices and their online store. Once they’ve done that, piracy will cease to be an issue for them.

20. TheWulf

Also!

It’s awesome. It really, truly is. Old LucasArts games run really well on a DS, providing you have a half decent (fast enough) microSD card.

21. Crysis

@18, Difference in the point that you’re trying to make is that 99% of those who buy a rake have 0 intentions of using it as a weapon compared with 99% of those who buy an R4 card having it for a malicious intentions.