Sony cuts North American price of PSP to $129.99

Friday, 25th February 2011 14:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced that on February 27 it will cut the price of PSP to $129.99 in North America, and entertainment packs will be cut to $159.99.

PSP Models – A history

First concept images appeared in November 2000.

Formally announced prior to E3 2003.

Released in Japan December 12, 2004; NA March 24, 2005; Europe September 1, 2005.

PSP-2000 released in 2007.

Slimmer, lighter PSP-3000 released in 2008.

Digital only PSPgo released in 2009.

NGP announced January 27, 2011 in Japan, slated for a holiday release.

However, there was no information on when or if this price cut would be applied in the European region as well.

“We have nothing to say at this time regarding the price of PSP within the SCEE region,” a Sony Europe rep told VG247. “PSP has been performing particularly well in Europe so far this year and we look forward to sharing some exciting plans that we have for PSP throughout the year.”

Launched in 2005, PSP has since sold over 23 million units in North America and 67.8 million worldwide, and currently has more than 590 titles available for it.

“The PSP system set the standard for complete portable entertainment and continues to be the premiere destination for gamers on-the-go,” said SCEA’s Tim Bender.

“Nearly six years after its initial launch, demand for the PSP remains strong. This new price point enables us to broaden the PSP platform to a larger group of consumers who are looking for best-in-class handheld entertainment.”

Dear PSP…

In addition to the new price point, 13 new games will be added to the PSP “Greatest Hits” and six to the “favorites” collection. PSP’s software catalog includes more than 70 Greatest Hits titles to date which retail for $19.99 along with its $9.99 “Favorites” collection.

New additions to the Greatest Hits catalog, announced today, include: Assassin’s Creed Bloodlines, DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY, LittleBigPlanet, METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Resistance: Retribution, and Toy Story 3: The Video Game.

New Favorites titles, also announced today, include: CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII, Daxter, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Killzone: Liberation, SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fire Team Bravo, and Tomb Raider Anniversary.

1. Gama_888

trying to clear out stock?

how much is this in £?
    or will we just not even get a price cut?

2. Razor

Should be £99.99 in the UK. Would be a great price.

3. Crysis

@1, About £80, you have no chance in hell @ getting it that low, I’m guessing £99.

4. Stephany Nunneley

We’re asking Sony Europe for details at present. Please stand by. :D

5. Gama_888

an £80 psp could seriously tempt me
    i still need to play birth by sleep :)

6. Blerk

It’s a nice machine. Horrible controls, but solid and good looking. Screen’s awesome.

7. Stephany Nunneley

SCEE comment has been added. You won’t like it.

8. theevilaires

Good stuff right here although I stocked up on PSP 3000′s and PSPgo’s last black friday at Bestbuy for the same price with included games,UMD movie,1GB memory cards.

9. mojo

what hinders me from importing the thing from the US?
    that thing has region lock?

10. Zurtech

Norty SCEE, tis a shame they’re not gonna drop the UK price cos I’d part with £80-ish to get a PSP again for Dissidia 012. Oh well their loss. -_^

11. Crysis

“PSP 3000′s and PSPgo’s” Is that plural? Shit man, how much cash do you have to waste?

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Great, now if Sony could just get the Final Fantasy games in the US PSN store that’d be great!

13. theevilaires

@11 I bought two of each. They were the bundles. No matter how much I try to keep the screen scratch free by the end of one year its scratched to death and I end up not playing games on it. So having a fresh PSP every year is a must for me.

14. russdude13

@9 I don’t think it does. I’ve played american UMDs on my PSP 1000.

@13 You need to look after your PSP more. I got three. I had the original for about a year, until the analogue stick broke. Had the second one (original one again) for about two years, until I got my PSP Go. My second PSP is still in perfect condition. Can I recommend some screen protectors maybe. You’ll need them if you’re getting the NGP seeing as its touch screen.

15. frostquake

I have the PSP-1000 since Launch…Works like Brand New, no problems. The Wife has the PSP-3000, it is SUPER light and feels like it could float…can’t stand how light it feels in my hands. She is Busy Playing Angry Birds on it. I am playing Persona 3, and waiting for 3rd Birthday.