Rumour – First Thief 4 screen appears

Friday, 25th February 2011 12:53 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Deus Ex: Human Revolution may be on the home straight, but Thief 4 is set to kick off by the looks of it.

The first screen of the next title from Eidos Montreal has supposedly made its way onto the internet, as pointed out by Strategy Informer  (via RPS).

The studio apparently posted the photo which was then picked up by French site JeuxVideo.

The shot shows off a third-person perspective for the game and minimal HUD.

We’re emailing Square now.

Thief 4 was first announced back in 2009, but very, very little has been said or seen of the game since.

1. ManuOtaku

2. Zurtech

My God, I LOVE Thief!! Yes please to more Garret-y goodness. ^_^

3. ManuOtaku

I meant dont try the approach,…jesus i think i did it wrong because is friday you knoe i tend to think on saturdays and sundays on wensday, mi mind is not my own on fridays 8D

4. ManuOtaku

JAJAJAJAJA
    “I just hope, they do try the approach of splinter cell conviction, dont ge me wrong conviction was a great action game, but no a stealthy one, it have some parts but the core thing was the action, i miss good old stealth games.
    I meant dont try the approach,…jesus i think i did it wrong because is friday you knoe i tend to think on saturdays and sundays on wensday, mi mind is not my own on fridays” 8D
    I meant i tend to think on saturdays and sundays on fridays….now is confirmed…is fridays effect……..8D

5. DEADEYES

Look likes the shot was taken in haste, maybe they don’t allow photographers in the room!

6. Shonak

Garret looks kinda weird, but that’s just maybe because of the low quality. Definitely looking forward to this title though. :)

7. Maximum Payne

I hope game is from First Person primarily Lilke TES franchise

8. ManuOtaku

@7 Maximun Payne, call me old school, but i prefer this game in the vains of the previous ones,but if they can maintain the quality with a FPS variation, i wont complain, just that i have to wait for the reviews in order to see if has worked though.

9. Moonwalker1982

The previous Thief had a third and first person camera, so thats nothing new but it IS great. It’s cool to be able to choose between them.

10. ManBearPig

this will probely be an awesome game

11. ReeceHeywood

Just gimme the new Hitman. :(

12. karma

Thief 1 and 2 are two of my favourite all time sneak games.

Thief 3: DS was a bit meh though, especially so with its third person mode optional perspective.

So i’ll say this blunty and hope a dev is reading. Unless Thief 4 has first person perspective ONLY, like the original games had, then I dont give a crap about this new game. I dont want to see any third person bullshit like Deus Ex: Human Revolution is doing, happening in another one of my all time fave games. By changing the dynamic of gameplay like that you are losing a customer.

See Ken Levine’s view on why first person perspective provides a much better gaming experience: http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11152/levine-first-person-can-provide-childhood-experience-of-play

13. Blerk

The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the shot was ‘Assassin’s Creed’. I think it’s the colour palette rather than anything else.

14. Johnny Cullen

What Blerk said.

15. abbe

Yay Thief!
    Boo Thiaf!

God I hope it isn’t such a big clusterfuck as Thief 3.

16. DEADEYES

In third person’s view, you can see what’s happening around, but with first person’s view, you can’t! That’s difference! So, with stealth game likes Thief, i think FPV is more challenge!

17. Aton

no third-person, pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Awesome.

I always played Wolfenstein and Doom at friends houses computers, but THIEF was the very first game I went through on our first home computer. I was literally blown away at the time.

Love this series. Can’t wait for Thief 4.

19. JonFE

@karma:

“Unless Thief 4 has first person perspective ONLY, like the original games had, then I dont give a crap about this new game.”

How would it affect you if Thief 4, has an *optionally* 3rd person perspective for those who would prefer it?

20. karma

^ I get what your saying, but with Thief, that age old “but you don’t have to use it” feature argument doesn’t cut it.

I’ll give a couple reasons why:

1. Its not staying true to what Thief is, which is a first person perspective stealth game, not a third person action game. See T3 for example, the dynamic of the game was changed. Players could cheat and see around corners just by angling the camera in third person mode.

And players are going to use cheat mode to see around corners whether they hate that mode or not. If you come across a particularly challenging encounter, without even thinking about it, you’ll use cheat mode to see around the corner.

The game loses its immersion and the being in the shoes of the character, that Ken Levine talked about in the link I posted earlier.

Its like giving a crack addict a fix and then asking him not to use it. Don’t include the cheat mode though, and players will have no choice but to face the challenge of the situation as the original Thief creators intended it to be.

And 2. Third Person modes are notoriously a pain in the ass to get right both to implement well and for players to use. It’s a waste of development time that could go into making the FPV or other gameplay features even better!

Thats why as a huge Thief fan, this screenshot has already dashed my hopes for true Thief sequel. Nothing the devs or PR can say to bring me back on board, other than “the screenie isn’t indicative of the final game and that in fact the game is going back its roots with a FPV perspective only.”

PS. Sorry for the long reply.