Kaos: Developers need to take more risks with the shooter genre

Friday, 25th February 2011 18:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rex Dickson, lead level designer at Kaos Studios has said that currently there is a bit of a “massacre fatigue” problem in gaming, and the way the studio solved this issue in Homefront, was by breaking up core combat every “two or three minutes,” with either “a story moment, a drama moment, spectacle moment or vista moment.”

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Dickson said some of these moments may make even make players feel “unsettled and uncomfortable,” due to the game’s subject matter. This is something he feels more development studios should do as well, instead of releasing the same sort of shooter “over and over,” again.

“As a game designer and someone who plays games I really want some people to start pushing boundaries,” he said. “Kaos could have made another modern combat game in the Middle East, or an armored fighter in space versus aliens but does the market really need any more of that?

“If you want to break the mold of what everyone else is doing there is going to be a certain amount of risk involved – maybe that’s not okay for people like Bungie, Microsoft and Sony – but for us, the little guy and THQ as the third-party publisher, we have to take these risks and break out. If the big guys aren’t going to take the risks they’re going to just keep making the same game over and over with each iteration then It’s up to the little guys to make these games and try and break the mold.

“There’s no fear really, I think I’d be more afraid if we making another Halo game or another desert combat game. The fact that we’re offering something unique and different removes the fear, that’s what we should be doing.”

Homefront is out on March 15 in the US and March 18 in the UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Bloodyghost

AMEN! If this game looked a little bit better and a better overall package I would buy.

2. OrbitMonkey

Massacre fatigue? Wonder if he meant (airport)Massacre fatigue? Pretty big talk, let’s see what they deliver?

3. TD_Monstrous69

I agree with Rex Dickson about companies needing to take more risks with shooters. But at the same time, I tihnk he needs to take a look at who he’s calling out before he does it. Because; one, he’s calling out Microsoft, who gave HomeFront extra support. If he were a bit wiser in this instance, he probably shouldn’tve called them out because just as easily Microsoft gave them extra support, they could take it away. As far as Sony, I’ll give him this, he’s got a case with KillZone and Resistance at least. But that thing he mentioned that they need to do something different, they do, it’s called Uncharted. Each game has brought something different to the table with each of its iterations so far, and the 3rd looks to be the most stellar entry yet. So the only thing I could say to him is get his facts straight before he calls out companies. Call out Activision, because they’re the ones who truly deserve to be called on it. By the way, I think he really needs to look at his game a bit more because it looks very similar to Call of Duty. Despite my seemingly angry post (which really isn’t), it should be interesting to see on how this turns out.

4. DSB

According to RPS’s preview, you don’t really see much action in the first three levels of Homefront. I’d say clean your own shit off the floor, then school others in how it’s done.

It also seems to me like Kaos have gone out of their way to create drama moments with parents being shot in front of infants. Which doesn’t serve much of a military purpose to anyone, it’s just a cruel illogical act meant to elicit a cheap response.

I think the guy sounds pretty insecure. Why else would you have to namedrop the competition?

5. FadeLive

A modern military shooter featuring american freedom fighters killing the crap out of evil korean communists is taking risks then? Granted I haven’t played the game yet but lol what.

I do agree that developers need to take more risks but why is it always the biggest offenders that proclaim this instead of I dunno actually taking risks. We had the Treyarch PR dude say pretty much the same thing a while back (albeit by blaming the consumer for it).

6. albo88

americans are trash just look t the way they eat
    sell them even shit and they will buy so dont worry kaos they will by you’re game

7. artdafoo

Ok, hold on here, let me see if I get this straight KAOS is saying developers should take more risks right ?
    Hmm, funny I was watching one their Homefront dev videos a while back featuring some SP action from the game and there was a part where you the player gets to use a hacked robotic vehicle against the bad guys and it’s blowing the hell out of them and I hear the dev talk about how the graphics engine features cool rag doll physics BUT NO BLOOD because it is something they thought wouldn’t be needed. So they’re making a FPS game with the bad guys lining people up and executing them and the whole point of the game is you fighting back by killing them right ? Yet there is no blood ? You call that risk taking KAOS lol ?

8. Teabag

I had managed to get some game time with Homefront in a local games event. I did not see anything out of the ordinary. It was the same shooter experience I have had for a good number of years now. If the focus is one story, they better get some trailers out, the game is coming out next month for fuck sake.

I really hope his name calling pays off. You do not stir the big boys, especially not with enough arsenal at hand.

9. bpcgos

Following COD way (from RPS first three level preview at least) is surely “taking more risk”. Taking more risk to be mocked by the community, taking more risk to be awful, etc,etc. Why they’re not copying 2003′s Freedom Fighters gameplay??

10. DrDamn

Got to say the title I’m most looking forward to in this genre this year is Battlefield 3 and the recent reveal of marines in a war torn middle east country yet again left me underwhelmed. Little bit more imagination please. I’ll certainly give Homefront a chance as I got some good mileage out of Frontlines.

11. overlord6011

ya now i would like to see a game which can be 2 sides battling in 2 nations europe and u.s.a like mw2 where you could be roach and that american killer but they need to put in 2 diffrent types of enemy like korean team with the germans for revenge on brits ( me of course) also, could we see longer campaign for the next homefront but they may have to take away some multiplayer and maybe we could have flash backes from the previous wars e.c vietnam, ww1, ww2, cold war so i hope someone could agree with me and care to read this i hope homefront 2 is amazin!