Sony: “Have another look” at PlayStation Home

Thursday, 24th February 2011 12:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

PlayStation Home platform director Peter Edward has encouraged players to come back and take “another look” at the service.

Speaking to Develop, Edward said that the service has come “leaps and bounds” from what it was two years ago.

“I hear all the time ‘I logged on when it first launched but there was nothing there’ – but I urge people to go back on there. It’s been two years. We were always very proud of what we had achieved for launch, but we’re the first to admit it was basic back then,” he said.

“Two years down the line it has come on in leaps and bounds, is vibrant, full of cool content and great games to play. It’s free – those who aren’t going in there are really missing out. If you think Home is what it was two years ago, do yourself a favour and have another look, you won’t be disappointed.”

Edward admitted that the design team working on Home has now had to adjust to the thinking of the average PS3 user that could end up using the service.

“People buy a PlayStation 3 to primarily play games. Sure, it does a lot of other great things, but PS3 is driven by that. So our audience is predominantly gamers. They want games,” said Edward.

“Since we’ve clarified that vision we’ve seen a huge amount of success, interest and positive feedback from the development community and users that this is right, that’s what makes people come back.”

Home launched back in December 2008, but has suffered criticism from gamers for its lack of appeal in content despite having a 17 million strong userbase as well as “10,000s of objects, hundreds of games and locations in the world,” according to Edward.

1. Mike

“No!”

2. BloodyJoe

Is PS Home any good?

3. Crysis

Home is a simple, social 3D networking space.
    Has a few decent in-game, games I admit, other than that, it’s just not for me.

4. Blerk

“Another”? :-D

5. Hybridpsycho

I never said “It was nothing there”.

I said “This is shit, why would I be here? >_> “

6. Crysis

Unless it’s all corporate hyperbole Sony has done something right with Home to keep it going this long & actually make a profit.

7. earlyrock

Its not for everyone. I probably log into it a couple time a month and have a look around, but many people spend a lot of time of there playing the games and chatting. Its improved over the years and Sony seem to have put effort into it.

8. Gadzooks!

No Mr. Edward, I won’t ever launch Home again.

Content isnt the issue. Being a pointless waste of resources is the issue.

9. Crysis

@8, Dare i say it, but gaming as a whole is considered that by certain people, your opinion isn’t universal.

10. OlderGamer

Home is a great way for horny teen males and obnoxious preteen males to stalk females(most of which are disquised males).

Odly enough if you could remove the other people, Home would be something I would bounce around in once in awhile to see the new content. But in the end when you give kids that much freedom to ruin something, they ruin it.

11. daytripper

think its a bag of shite but thats just my personal opinion.

12. datamonkey

Give it up Sony ffs!

13. jaytv-pyro

wow a lot of haters here you xbots sure go back to playing Call Of Duty, Halo & Gears Home is too advanced for you idiots to understand

14. Blerk

/spits coffee

:-D

15. earlyrock

@10, Hey if you could remove about 99.9% of people from multiplayer gaming, I’d be on that as well :D

People ruined this planet. Fact.

16. jaytv-pyro

*should

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

One question.

“Why”?

Why should I? No incentive? No thanks. Home is a complete waste of time and hard drive space for me.

18. spiderLAW

It had some cool features. I have actually met some really cool people on it too. Being able to compare Trophies, jump into games with each other, share interests, join a “Specific” game Group (im a part of the Uncharted 2 fan group). Play mini games. Its a cool option.

19. ManuOtaku

To tell you the truth guys, i own the ps3 since launch day, yes i have a fat model still working out(yes i paid 600$ for it T_T), and i never felt compelled to use this application before, and i think i never will, but i see the why other should do though.

20. Robo_1

Home is like a walk in arcade these days. There’s a good mix of free and freemium games, and stuff like the Killzone game even feeds back into Killzone 3, and offers multiplayer unlocks for completing the Home based game.

For those interested in how Home is doing, you should really check the Develop article. I’m hardly a big user of it myself, but it’s clearly found an audience that’s sustaining it and there’s plenty of content for it these days. Hell, some developers are now living exclusively off Home, and the team behind it are in the process of expanding.

If people are intent on completely dismissing it then fair enough, but it’s found an audience, it’s free to use and developers are making money from it, so I say good luck to ‘em.

21. ManuOtaku

“To tell you the truth guys, i own the ps3 since launch day, yes i have a fat model still working out(yes i paid 600$ for it T_T), and i never felt compelled to use this application before, and i think i never will, but i see the why other should do though”.

I meant the reasons Why other should do though, sorry english is not my first language…sorry

22. JPickford

“Please come and look at our lovely adverts”

No, ta.

23. urbz2011

I’ve been on there a couples time and i have to say PS home is a total waste of time. The Dudes poses as gurl which is effing sad and pathetic, you got wannabe internet thugs on there that act stuff on there, and u ban ppl for most outrages BS on there. Seriously You ban sum 1 for saying quote “Lying to make your self look better”. I’m mean really, you gotta have a lot of time on your hands if you ban sum one for sumthing like that.

24. mojo

#15 got it right.
    humanity is a big ruin-it-all machine.
    seriously if there was a way to collapse the whole universe just to get a blowjob. im sure someone would go for it.

25. Isaaclarke37

I never hated Home, go in their from time to time.